Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

White Noise (the return of michael keaton)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

White Noise (the return of michael keaton)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad about all of the terrible reviews. I was really hoping for a Michael Keaton comeback. Anyway, it's too bad especially considering how great the trailer was for it. Should have figured, it is January after all.
Old 01-07-05, 09:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Metacritic reviews (not very glowing).
Old 01-07-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Instead of making crappy Hollywood films, Keaton should take less money and go the indie route to try & re-invigorate his career.

John Travolta has done this once and by the looks of his latest movie, trying to do it again.
Old 01-07-05, 12:37 PM

this movie sounds bad
Old 01-07-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Spoiler:
But no. The ghosts beat the shit out of him and throw him off a building.
Spoiler:
Ghosts beating someone up.
Old 01-08-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

James Berardinelli raped this film.
Old 01-08-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay question to the two others who saw the flick....

James Berardinelli's "glowing" review said the film was shot in a flat (1.85:1) aspect ratio; but when I saw the film back on Tuesday night, it was projected in a scope (2.39:1) aspect ratio. Now, if the film is indeed flat; that would make a lot of sense, since a majority of the opening credits ended up cropped on the screen I saw it on.
Old 01-09-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad the real Batman is back.

And no matter what the critics said, this film is a bonafide smash hit, and it will be one of the most profitable films of 2005.

A $24 million dollar opening weekend for White Noise. I guess America really missed seeing Mr. Mom headline movies. it's probably a good rental anyway.
Old 01-09-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sat on Saturday and thought it was just ok, nothing special. I think with the premise it had promise, but it dragged and really felt short towards the end. Like others said here, the ending was pretty rediculous when you stop to think about it. But it was good though watching a flick with Michael Keaton, hes great, even in stuff like this.
Old 01-09-05, 08:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I'm glad the real Batman is back.

And no matter what the critics said, this film is a bonafide smash hit, and it will be one of the most profitable films of 2005.

A $24 million dollar opening weekend for White Noise. I guess America really missed seeing Mr. Mom headline movies. it's probably a good rental anyway.
One weekend, and it's a smash hit? Nope. Week two will tell the tale.

Right now the market is hot for "horror." Anything released is doing well, even dreck like DARKNESS. Teenagers will line up for anything that has a scare in it.

"the real Batman" was back in last fall's FIRST DAUGHTER too, but nobody seemed to care. NOISE's opening weekend success is hardly due to Keaton's involvement.
Old 01-10-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$24 million for a no-name January movie is a hit in my book any day, whether it gets good or terrible word of mouth.

I was talking about Keaton carrying a film, which he hasn't done since the mid-90s. (top billing)
Old 01-10-05, 10:01 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey
$24 million for a no-name January movie is a hit in my book any day, whether it gets good or terrible word of mouth.

I was talking about Keaton carrying a film, which he hasn't done since the mid-90s. (top billing)
Well, you wrote "smash hit" before, and that isn't WHITE NOISE just yet. I believe the film was a "hit" before it even opened, due to pre-sales around the globe.

Again I disagree. Keaton's involvement had nothing to do with NOISE's success. Universal pushing the film as a horror-fest did all the work.
Old 01-10-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the film. It was far from being a classic but it was better than some of the other films I have seen recently. The ending seemed a little out there but what do you expect from a movie about EVP...?
Old 01-12-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Third Baseman
James Berardinelli raped this film.

This is one of those "huh?" performances where you know the paycheck was huge or someone has pictures.

I saw it today. Thankfully it was a matinee. I was disappointed because the trailer looked so promising
Old 01-12-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did Michael keaton ever fight off a shark

I give you the REAL Batman
Old 01-29-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Surprised not to see any recent reviews or comments regarding this movie, but I just came back from seeing it and here are my thoughts.

#1: Really freaky. Not saying good or bad, just freaky.

#2: I'm a huge ghost, UFO, EVP, etc. geek and was disappointed that this film branched off from the usual idea of what an EVP is and distorted it to a more extravagent level just for the movie.

But, all of those things aside, there were things about this movie that didn't make sense (as others have said), so maybe someone can answer them:

Spoiler:
1. Was there a particular significance to the time 2:30? It seemed like most events occured at 2:30AM except at the end after Keaton buys it and he comes on the radio at 2:30PM when they're leaving the funeral. Is 2:30 or the '23' paranormallly-connected in some way?

2. Who were the 3 shadow ghosts? Just random evil spirits?

3. What exactly was the video recording? Usual EVPs record what's in the room - not just any ghost passing by.

4. Why was only his wife able to "help" him out of all the murdered people?

5. Why did the fat guy that had been doing EVPs for 23 years (there's the 23 again) finally die THIS time? If he was "meddling", why did the spirits wait so long to off him?

6. What did the contruction worker guy have to do with the 3 ghosts other than they ask him to kill? Seemed very random and had no reasoning or explanation behind it.

7. Who/what ransacked Keaton's and the fat guy's apartments? The ghosts? The murderer? If so, why? What purpose did it serve?

8. Why were randomly-selected patrons of the fat guy and his EVP teachings targeting to be murdered/killed? I do't understand the connection.

INCONSISTENCIES:

This movie seemed to break any rules it tried to establish, making it confusing for the viewer to make sense of it:

Spoiler:
1. Keaton comes on the radio at the end, even though the "rule" was explained that you cannot hear voices live - only recorded.

2. How did Sarah (the Jenna Elfman-looking chick) survive her fall?

3. Why didn't he see himself in the video if he was going to die?

4. And coroners could distinguish between Keaton's wife falling and hitting her head vs. being bludgeoned to death by some psycho?

BTW Matthew C. - the ghosts also made Sarah jump off the balcony, apparently caused the accident of the woman in the car with the baby (the one where the power pole thingy fell on the car), as well as apparently killed the fat guy in house house (the room was ransacked and his equipment fell over on him), so it wasn't only Keaton's character they directly affected.

There were probably more, but in the end, it was watchable and fairly entertaining. I didn't care for the immediate end and onslaught on inconsistent plot points that started amassing by the time the credits rolled. I give it an A- for scare factor, but C+ for overall enjoyment.

Last edited by SleepyW; 01-29-05 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-19-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Okay, I finally saw this film and all I can say is...wow....that sucked. I cant remember the last time I saw a movie and afterwards had absolutely no idea what just happened. The last 45 minutes or so was such a big bowl of suck salad, my god. I guess they sat around the table trying to figure out what direction to take this movie and about 15 people had different ideas...so they just said the hell with it and put them all in the last 30 minutes. What a mess.

Anyway the main reason Im bumping this is to see if their is a genious among us who has any idea what happened in this movie. Such a shame too, as the premise could have been a good foundation for a good horror flick.
Old 05-18-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts
Uh, I really like this movie. It was freaky as hell and I never lost interest once.
I'm a huge Keaton fan as well and I thought he was excellent.

Shit, I was hoping to see more positve thoughts about the film but oh well, at least I liked it.
Old 05-18-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
Uh, I really like this movie. It was freaky as hell and I never lost interest once.
I'm a huge Keaton fan as well and I thought he was excellent.

Shit, I was hoping to see more positve thoughts about the film but oh well, at least I liked it.
Did you watch the same movie as the rest of us?

White Noise =

I rented it and have never, ever seen a movie with so many plot holes. And not only that, it just flat out didn't make sense. The questions that SleepyW brings up will never be answered by anyone ever, I don't think. This movie was absolutely retarded.
Old 05-18-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Did you watch the same movie as the rest of us?

White Noise =

I rented it and have never, ever seen a movie with so many plot holes. And not only that, it just flat out didn't make sense. The questions that SleepyW brings up will never be answered by anyone ever, I don't think. This movie was absolutely retarded.
Out of the majority of the shit I have seen come out lately....at least this flick stayed dark and gave it a try.

No it's not a masterpiece and yes of course it has flaws up the ass but I still enjoyed it.
Old 05-22-05, 01:05 AM
Banned

I like Michael Keaton too ever since his movie debut: Night Shift. And he also gave an outstanding performance for: Clean and Sober.
Old 05-22-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Out of the majority of the shit I have seen come out lately....at least this flick stayed dark and gave it a try.
Staying dark does not a good movie make.
Old 05-22-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11

No it's not a masterpiece and yes of course it has flaws up the ass but I still enjoyed it.
Just means you liked a shitty movie. Every horror movie as of late 'gave it a try', doesn't mean any of them were remotely good.
Old 05-22-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Just means you liked a shitty movie. Every horror movie as of late 'gave it a try', doesn't mean any of them were remotely good.
Guess that's right.

And that's why I bought a Saturn.
Old 06-04-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just saw this movie. It was not 100% terrible but it was close to it. It was so far fetched at the end that you were like that does not make any sense. And you still were left with some answered questions. It's too bad since I like Michael Keaton and I wanted to like this movie, but I just could not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.