Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spanglish - quick review

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spanglish - quick review

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Spanglish - quick review

I really got into this film, it's just so well done. The acting, the direction, the screenplay all hit the right notes, and made for a really rewarding viewing experience in which this viewer got involved with the characters and their stories that get interwoven into a narrative that transcends the language barrier between American and Mexican cultures.

I'll get this out of the way: Paz Vega is going to find a lot of fans after this film opens big, she is absolutely magnetic on the screen, you can't keep your eyes off of her while she's on-screen, and she does a fantastic job in her role. Tea Leoni is also pretty good, and it's a juicy part for an actress, with emotions running the gamut from beginning to end. Adam Sandler was also adequate for the role, though his comedic streak peeps out every now and then, but it's tamed enough to keep his character believable within the framework of the story. The children were also up to the task of keeping up with the adults, and give nice performances.

James L. Brooks makes it look so easy, you simply enjoy the film as it unfolds itself, and the narrative is always flowing freely but strongly, and I'd be hard pressed to toss out any of the scenes, so I think the screenplay was pretty tight, and allowed the characters reveal themselves as the story progressed in a very natural manner, and there is so much heart at the core of the film.

If you are looking for a good dramedy, this is the film for you, it does so many things right, and deserves a large audience.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.

Last edited by Patman; 12-11-04 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-11-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Paz Vega is one of the reason I'm interested in this movie. Also heard that the girl playing her daughter in the movie is very good along with Tea Leoni and Cloris Leachman.

I'm still undecided whether I like Adam Sandler in semi-serious roles.
Old 12-17-04, 09:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
MetaCritic reviews

Rolling Stone / Peter Travers:
A rich blend of humor and heartbreak.

USA Today / Mike Clark:
The one movie families search for every Christmas for an outing, the way "Something's Gotta Give" was last year and "Jerry Maguire" was in 1996.

The Hollywood Reporter / Kirk Honeycutt:
Brooks is solidly in charge of this feel-good fairy tale as he gets terrific performances from everyone including two super-talented child actors.

Chicago Sun-Times / Roger Ebert:
The movie is not quite the sitcom the setup seems to suggest; there are some character quirks that make it intriguing.

Los Angeles Times / Kenneth Turan:
Frustrating though it can be, Spanglish still proves to be as resilient as its characters.
Old 12-17-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is Adam Sandler ever going to make a funny movie again? Or is he going to be making this chick flick garbage for the rest of his life?
Old 12-17-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Paz Vega = SCHWING!
Old 12-17-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just go see it for the Paz!
Old 12-17-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mopower
Is Adam Sandler ever going to make a funny movie again? Or is he going to be making this chick flick garbage for the rest of his life?
I would argue Adam Sandler has never made a funny movie.

I'm looking forward to this. James L. Brooks is a comedy genius, albeit a bit too subtle for the average Sandler fan.
Old 12-17-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A pretty decent flick... Paz Vega is fantastic and beautiful in this... glad she is getting some good Hollywood roles! The Sandman was awesome and really turns in a mature and well thought out performance. Not Brooks best, but the characters were real and funny and I had a very enjoyable time watching the film.

MATT
Old 12-18-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I will admit my wife really wanted to see it, so we went, and it was a pretty good movie. Paz Vega was good, admittedly this was really the first time I have seen or heard about her. Both daughters were excellent as well. Sandler can play this part pretty well, and did a good job. Although I couldnt stand Leoni, I guess that was part of the point of the movie.
Old 12-21-04, 07:09 PM

God, I'm on a horrible streak. The last film I saw was "Closer" (which I found to be one of the most smug and self-satisfyingly obnoxious films in memory). Then I follow that up with "Spanglish," which I found to be just one big mess of a movie. I've been a big admirer of James L. Brooks' work in the past. But this was a disaster, IMO. Erratic storytelling that loses focus and points of view throughout. Tea Leoni's performance was nothing short of nails-on-a-chalkboard torture test. Adam Sandler was miscast, and not up to this task at all. And the writing was, surprisingly, boring. James L. Brooks takes seven years between movies, and he comes up with this?
Old 12-21-04, 07:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
glad she is getting some good Hollywood roles!
riiight... she goes from playing a sensual, modern, spirited, three-dimensional, real woman in "Sex and Lucia" to playing Hollywood's view of the typical latina... a maid and a single mother in yet another "fish out of water" story. she and the young actress that plays her daughter don't even get their faces shown on the poster of a movie primarily about their characters!

Last edited by cygnet74; 12-21-04 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm ... I can't quite decide whether I really want to see this or not. I have a feeling it will have to wait for the DVD because there are so many other movies in the theaters right now.
Old 12-22-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I loved this movie as well. I give it 3.25 stars and if you watched the movie, you'll know why.

Paz Vega is nice on the eyes (esp. her rack).

It was just a very heartfelt movie where you actually felt for the characters.

Old 12-28-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree 100% with all of the positive things said so far in this thread. I saw the film tonight, and I just loved it. I can't remember EVER wanting to know so badly what becomes of everyone after this film ended. That's going to be on my mind for a very long time I do believe.
Old 12-30-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
***1/2 out of *****.

Don't tell my wife this, but I am in love w/ Paz Vega. Thank you James L. Brooks for bring ing this beauty over from Spain and putting her in your film. She was magnificent. I could go on and on about her...

The girl that played her daughter did a good job. As did Cloris Leachman. I thought Sandler did just fine - and he had good chemistry w/ Paz, too, but I don't think any heterosexual male would have a problem finding the right chemistry w/ her. I really enjoyed the scenes between those two.

Leoni was a bit over-bearing, and she started to grate on my nerves after a while.

Did I mention the revelation that is Paz?
Old 01-04-05, 01:48 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I wanted to hate this so bad but...

This movie will win you over. There are so many things to find offensive about this story but the performances will undoubtedly get your eyes to well up.

First off, the whole situation seems so contrived you automatically go in with some negative baggage. I see plenty of these little Mexican ladies waiting at bus stops all over LA travelling to the westside to do housework and not many look like Paz Vega. Even the title made me gag as it seemed like some out of touch middleaged white screenwriter in Calabasas who caught his maid one time teaching his kid Spanish and thought he was a genius.

Thankfully, there is much more to this film than that. Once you get past the weaker aspects and story cliches there are some really nice moments and nobody does these kind of wordy 'real life' situational comedies better than James Brooks.

Adam Sandler does a great job, hes really pretty good when he has a decent script and someone who can throttle him down a few notches. Tea Leoni is appropriately shrill but did she have to be THAT unlikeable? The kid actors are amazing! And here's hoping Cloris Leachman gets an Academy vote (probably her last chance!) for her subtle, supporting role.

Great date movie. Go see this, hardly anyone was in the theater when i went...
Old 03-31-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got to see this for the first time on DVD, and I absolutely loved it. I kind of put it out of my mind to see it when it was at the theater because of the lukewarm reviews I read on it, but I would put this up there with As Good as it Gets. This is one movie I will buy because I know I will want to watch this again.
Old 04-14-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it. Loved it.
Old 05-22-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really couldn't get into this. Paz was great. Adam did a good job but I just could really never get into it. Then again when asked what kind of movie I wanted I said anything but another chick flick so when this was brought home I just kind of *sigh*
Old 05-22-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
I really couldn't get into this. Paz was great. Adam did a good job but I just could really never get into it. Then again when asked what kind of movie I wanted I said anything but another chick flick so when this was brought home I just kind of *sigh*
My feelings exactly!

The best scene for me was when Adam Sandler ask Paz if she's a widower since death will be the only way that a man will leave a woman like her.
Old 06-28-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great movie, finally caught it on DVD. Loved pretty much every second of it. Tea Leoni was so ridiculously unlikeable in this role, I actually yellin' at the screen. She did a great job though...very tough to do that kinda role where EVERYONE hates you.

Also, the Grandma (the lady who played the Grandma in Bad Santa too) was amazing. She played one of the best supporting roles I've seen in a long time. Held the entire family (and the movie) together. I cracked up everytime she was drinking wine, but she also was by far the only thing that could save Tea's character.

As for Paz, she was amazing too, beautiful of course. I went on IMDB and saw she is from Seville, Spain. I was there last year for a while and let me tell you that Spanish girls look like that, they're absolutely goregous (well at least in the South). I've always been a Sandler fan (except Punch Drunk Love) and he didn't dissapoint this time at all. Reccomend everyone check this out, very smart movie.
Old 06-29-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What a coincidence! Just caught this last night on DVD. I enjoyed it very well and would also put it in the A-/B+ range!

What made it particularly difficult, though, was watching the extra where they showed how to make the ultimate late night sandwich. I looked practically all night in the kitchen for some butter lettuce....
Old 06-29-05, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Paz Vega is nice on the eyes (esp. her rack).
*cough* implants *cough*
Old 01-27-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I agree 100% with all of the positive things said so far in this thread. I saw the film tonight, and I just loved it. I can't remember EVER wanting to know so badly what becomes of everyone after this film ended. That's going to be on my mind for a very long time I do believe.
Anyone think that maybe there could be a sequel, i would love to see one, i think we all know what needs to happen.