Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can someone please help me answer these questions about " 12 Angry Men " PLEASE!!!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Can someone please help me answer these questions about " 12 Angry Men " PLEASE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-04, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my sentiments exactly.
Old 12-07-04, 03:57 AM

YADA , YADA , YADA......ALL BABBLING NONSENSE AND NO ANSWERS. This is not "help me move " ......it is simply geared towards someone who has a firm grasp of the film and can answer the questions in a few short sentences, and NOT in essay form Einstein.
Old 12-07-04, 04:07 AM

I wasn't going to post, but consider me a "curious bystander". I'd like to see how this shapes up. Maybe someone did a paper/essay on this film recently and it's fresh on their mind... I just can't see anyone willing to do this assignment (which, as previously mentioned, certainly is *NOT* just "a few short simple sentences", but requires some actual thought and effort) for "free". I agree, there's no way this was assigned the day before it was due. It seems like a pretty easy assignment if you watch the film (which I did a long time ago, and it was the TV remake and not the original film), but since then, I've long forgotten the intricacies of each of the characters.

A Google search for "12 Angry Men" and some combination of the words "essay" and the like yielded some analyses of the film, from what I could gauge just by skimming, which I guess would be a good start. However, w/o watching the film, there's probably no way to do this assignment well, unless you find some excellent "Cliff's Notes"-type information on the play. Why not save the trouble and just watch the film?
Old 12-07-04, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The jurors are not static personalities, and their communication styles change in response to their reactions to many emotional stimuli in the film. I guess you could say that each has a basic personality style.

Here is some info that should help your friend. I doubt it took the author a few minutes to compile and analyze:

Review

The Twelve Jurors:

A summary of the anonymous characters helps to flesh out their characters and backgrounds. The order in which each eventually decides to vote "not guilty" is given in brackets:

Juror #1 (The Foreman): (Martin Balsam) A high-school assistant head coach, doggedly concerned to keep the proceedings formal and maintain authority; easily frustrated and sensitive when someone objects to his control; inadequate for the job as foreman, not a natural leader and over-shadowed by Juror # 8's natural leadership [9]
Juror #2: (John Fiedler) A wimpy, balding bank clerk/teller, easily persuaded, meek, hesitant, goes along with the majority, eagerly offers cough drops to other men during tense times of argument; better memory than # 4 about film title [5]
Juror #3: (Lee J. Cobb) Runs a messenger service (the "Beck and Call" Company), a bullying, rude and husky man, extremely opinionated and biased, completely intolerant, forceful and loud-mouthed, temperamental and vengeful; estrangement from his own teenaged son causes him to be hateful and hostile toward all young people (and the defendant); arrogant, quick-angered, quick-to-convict, and defiant until the very end [12]
Juror #4: (E. G. Marshall) Well-educated, smug and conceited, well-dressed stockbroker, presumably wealthy; studious, methodical, possesses an incredible recall and grasp of the facts of the case; common-sensical, dispassionate, cool-headed and rational, yet stuffy and prim; often displays a stern glare; treats the case like a puzzle to be deductively solved rather than as a case that may send the defendant to death; claims that he never sweats [10 - tie]
Juror #5: (Jack Klugman) Naive, insecure, frightened, reserved; has a slum-dwelling upbringing that the case resurrects in his mind; a guilty vote would distance him from his past; nicknamed "Baltimore" by Juror # 7 because of his support of the Orioles; he may be Hispanic but this is only speculation [3]
Juror #6: (Edward Binns) A typical "working man," dull-witted, experiences difficulty in making up his own mind, a follower; probably a manual laborer or painter; respectful of older juror and willing to back up his words with fists [6]
Juror #7: (Jack Warden) Clownish, impatient salesman (of marmalade the previous year), a flashy dresser, gum-chewing, obsessed baseball fan who wants to leave as soon as possible to attend evening game; throws wadded up paper balls at the fan; uses baseball metaphors and references throughout all his statements (he tells the foreman to "stay in there and pitch"); lacks complete human concern for the defendant and for the immigrant juror; extroverted; keeps up amusing banter and even impersonates James Cagney at one point; votes with the majority [7]
Juror #8: (Henry Fonda) An architect, instigates a thoughtful reconsideration of the case against the accused; symbolically clad in white; a liberal-minded, patient truth-and-justice seeker who uses soft-spoken, calm logical reasoning; balanced, decent, courageous, well-spoken and concerned; considered a do-gooder (who is just wasting others' time) by some of the prejudiced jurors; named Davis [1]
Juror #9: (Joseph Sweeney) Eldest man in group, white-haired, thin, retiring and resigned to death but has a resurgence of life during deliberations; soft-spoken but perceptive, fair-minded; named McCardle [2]
Juror #10: (Ed Begley) A garage owner, who simmers with anger, bitterness, racist bigotry; nasty, repellent, intolerant, reactionary and accusative; segregates the world into 'us' and 'them'; needs the support of others to reinforce his manic rants [10 - tie]
Juror #11: (George Voskovec) A watchmaker, speaks with a heavy accent, of German-European descent, a recent refugee and immigrant; expresses reverence and respect for American democracy, its system of justice, and the infallibility of the Law [4]
Juror #12: (Robert Webber) Well-dressed, smooth-talking business ad man with thick black glasses; doodles cereal box slogan and packaging ideas for "Rice Pops"; superficial, easily-swayed, and easy-going; vacillating, lacks deep convictions or belief system; uses advertising talk at one point: "run this idea up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes it" [8]

2. Henry Fonda became the leader of the jury, although Balsam was the nominal foreman and Lee J Cobb was the dominant personality through agression.

3. Cobb for his aggression. Begley for his racism. Warden for his indifference and preference to just get out and see the Yankees game. Take your pick.

4. See the communication style definitions for Fonda (assertive) and Cobb (aggressive)

5. This can be easily defined from the juror descriptions.

Last edited by Big Quasimodo; 12-07-04 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-07-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can someone write my masters thesis for me??? Please!!!

It's due tomorrow!