DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Who would you want as the MAIN Villain in Spider-Man 3? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/399196-who-would-you-want-main-villain-spider-man-3-a.html)

krobo 12-06-04 11:44 PM

i think that that Spider Man 3 should continue the story with the Green Goblin. Wasnt it in the 2nd movie that Peter's Best Friend Uncovered his dads secret Goblin Hide Out? It would be awesome it the son would be the next goblin and try to kill superman. Rock On!

My Vote: Mob Golbin

glassdragon 12-06-04 11:47 PM

Venom, even though Raimi has said implicitly that it would never happen as long as he's directing :(

Big Quasimodo 12-06-04 11:47 PM

Lots of good replies here. I especially like the idea of having a "cameo" contest with Rhino.

I voted for Sandman, cause he is my favorite of the choices, but I imagine that if they were going to do the CG required for him, they would go with Venom due to his popularity.

DonnachaOne 12-07-04 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by tanman
It seems like it was already pretty much set up to be Harry. But maybe he wants to delay that for IV?

... or maybe Osborne saw his dad's articles of crime, was repulsed, and came to think Petr was right? You never know...

What I'd like: The Lizard's on the loose, attracting Kraven, who's run out of stuff to hunt. It becomes a race between Spider-Man and Kraven to get the Lizard first - one wants to help, the other wants a trophy.

Then switch in the final act, and have it that Kraven wasn't interested in the Lizard, but in Spider-man himself.

Oh, and Spider-man will be wearing the black suit, which he gets in the first few minutes from the "grateful" John Jameson.

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I'd like to see Spider-Man exposed to some kind of radiation that causes him to turn evil, and eventually he has to battle his good self.....

.....oh, wait. That's Superman 3.

Yeah, you're thinking of that OTHER Superhero saga, with the first one being an origin story about a high school kid who goes on to fight crime and work at a paper as part of his secret identity, and a second movie where he loses all his powers and reveals himself to the woman he loves.

Get Me Coffee 12-07-04 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't care. Suprise me. As long as J.K. Simmons gets plenty of screen time. :)

Right on with that! :up:

The Infidel 12-07-04 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Yeah, you're thinking of that OTHER Superhero saga, with the first one being an origin story about a high school kid who goes on to fight crime and work at a paper as part of his secret identity, and a second movie where he loses all his powers and reveals himself to the woman he loves.

So, according to the formula, Spider-Man 3 will have a black actor providing comedy relief. ;)

DonnachaOne 12-07-04 01:47 AM

Hey, Marlon Wayans WAS in the running for Robin once...

tofu 12-07-04 10:40 AM

I'd like to see Sandman or Mysterio or a tag team of both!!

Abob Teff 12-07-04 11:48 AM

Well, lots of interesting thoughts here! Personally I'd like some mystery with the Harry becoming the Hemoglobin (that was intentional) . . . set up the story so that we never really know if Harry has transformed and is calling the shots behind whichever villain is chosen.

Perhaps a little Black Cat interjection . . . while she might not provide the action angle of our other choices, character wise she would be great for interfering with Peter's already confused emotions . . .

That said I did vote for the Lizzard . . . I feel that this character would provide the most emotion for the movie . . . however not only have we seen the "Scientists Gone Wild" plot twice, it would also tread onto the "bonding" relationship angle that was played out with Dr. Octavius in 2. So I doubt that we will see this happen since it just rehashes on too many levels.

Oh yeah, another motion for opening the movie with a fight with Rhino!

danicus007 12-07-04 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I would like to have III open with Spidey taking out someone minor like Rhino and establish that he has a rogues gallery. If you have played the SM2 video game, then you know that some of the famous villains can be handled effectively without too much exposition. I really liked the way they handled Mysterio and think he would be a good candidate to have in III.

IMO, I would have III play out like this: you have three villains, Lizard, Mysterio, and GG2. The plotline with Lizard is more or less a subplot while a major one with Harry and Mysterio develops. The whole Lizard deal is over by the end of the second act, but once Connors is reunited with his family, Spidey gets word that MJ, May, or both are in trouble and to show up at a designated place. The place is a huge illusion devised by Mysterio, and features a kick a$$ action sequence of Spidey fighting his way through illusions of foes he has either vanquished or put in prison (maybe Doc Ock could be included as well). Eventually, he shuts the thing down and takes out Mysterio. Suddenly the Green Goblin appears (he is the last to appear of the rogue's) out of the remaining FX and smoke. Spidey is ready to blow it off as just another illusion, until a pumpkin bomb is thrown, explodes, and knocks him for a loop. Spidey now realizes that this is real and begins to believe, as in the comics, that Norman has returned from the dead. Of course Harry reveals himself and the finale battle can begin.

The way I see it, we have had two movies that have done a great job of setting up the characters and conflicts, now just let the action rip!

That would be awesome!! You need to email this to Rami.

devilshalo 12-07-04 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't care. Suprise me. As long as J.K. Simmons gets plenty of screen time. :)

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/spdrslyr19.jpg

Maybe JJJ can be a villain? ;)

psd 12-07-04 04:41 PM

the Lizard could probably work in conjuction with the use of a main villian.
i wouldn't see the lizard 'teaming' up with another character, but i could see where there is "this giant lizard" popping up here and there, wrecking havoc for some murky reason and then disappearing and having that be this side distraction for Spidey.
in fact you could have Spidey on the hunt for the lizard thru the whole film, never finding him (until the end), while Harrys plot line is developed (and i agree with another poster that the audience should be in doubt as to whether it really is Harry or another character taking on the mantle...maybe one of Harrys financial advisors or someone else who would benefit in some way if Harry were framed).

i also think the Black Cat would work because now Pete and MJ are together.
a straight love triangle would probably come across as contrived, but i think it would be interesting to see what seem to be from the outside, two kindered souls colliading into each other frequently, and innocently flirting (with nothing coming from it...but the inference that something could if things were a little different)...that could be fun.

i dunno.
Sam has done a great job with the material so far, but i would be very wary of falling into formula.
there are enough monkey wrenches in the works right now for S-M3 to deviate radically, but logically, from the first two.
to me, thats more exciting than any of the villians

DRG 12-07-04 05:32 PM

This'll never happen, and I wouldn't want this as part of the trilogy story arc, but I'd love to see this matchup:
http://217.196.238.182/big-tel/promo...ideyvshulk.jpg

SFranke 12-07-04 08:27 PM

Any remember Spider-Hulk?

I think the most interesting character to introduce would be the Black Cat.

Rammsteinfan 12-07-04 08:45 PM

I would like to see Venom just to see Venom but I think Lizard or Mysterio would be the better choice.

Dr. DVD 12-07-04 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by danicus007
That would be awesome!! You need to email this to Rami.

Got his address?;)

ChrisKnudsen 12-07-04 09:43 PM

that is a good idea, bring up two franchises at once, hulk vs. spider-man would be nice.

psd 12-07-04 11:14 PM

What I'd like: The Lizard's on the loose, attracting Kraven, who's run out of stuff to hunt. It becomes a race between Spider-Man and Kraven to get the Lizard first - one wants to help, the other wants a trophy.
i missed that post earlier- sounds like a great idea

i'd just save the black suit for the first (or second) re-boot of the franchise after Sam & Tobey depart

Ruderic 12-08-04 08:14 PM

What about the Sinister Six?

Harry could start his own Sinister 6.

Example:

GG, Electro, Vulture, Scorpion, Sandman, Mysterio

DVD Smurf 12-08-04 09:42 PM

I like the Lizards Dr. Jekyl -- Mr. Hyde personality as he changes... could offer some depth as an analogy to society of what is ok and what is wrong... this is of course only a thought. :)

Dr. DVD 12-08-04 09:43 PM

IMO, it would not be true to either the characters or comics unless Harry defeated the Goblin side himself. If you've ever read the comics, then you know Harry never really wanted to be the Goblin, he was just doing what he felt was proper to honor his father, and his father's worst side at that . With this being the case, we would never have to really have Harry in the outfit to have this conflict, we could just show a couple of scenes with him arguing with Norman in the mirror.

a scene I would love to see in III that they could pull off without crossing any legal boundaries would go like this: Peter Parker is in a cafe or something of that nature and accidentally bumps into a man, knocking a drink or something out of his hand. Peter starts to apologize when the stranger interjects with: "Don't worry. I'm not angry." This line should be delivered as the camera reveals the face of Eric Bana as the stranger. No name is mentioned, it's just a person being played by Eric Bana. ;)
If you want to go out all out, have Peter give directions to a couple of wandering men in trenchcoats and reveal them as being played by Hugh Jackman and Thomas Jane. Again, just actors playing no name roles, not characters.

boredsilly 12-09-04 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
a scene I would love to see in III that they could pull off without crossing any legal boundaries would go like this: Peter Parker is in a cafe or something of that nature and accidentally bumps into a man, knocking a drink or something out of his hand. Peter starts to apologize when the stranger interjects with: "Don't worry. I'm not angry." This line should be delivered as the camera reveals the face of Eric Bana as the stranger. No name is mentioned, it's just a person being played by Eric Bana. ;)
If you want to go out all out, have Peter give directions to a couple of wandering men in trenchcoats and reveal them as being played by Hugh Jackman and Thomas Jane. Again, just actors playing no name roles, not characters.

That is hella geeky and I would love it if the movies were connected a bit. Not going to happen, but still would be cool. I think it would be cool if he ran into DareDevil or Blade on some random rooftop.

I like the idea of having Kraven and Spidey racing to get to the Lizard, but with how far CG has come I cannot get over wanting to see Venom on the big screen. I think Venom as the big bad could make for an exciting movie, but if this is to be the last movie Lizard/GG part deux makes the most sense.

I guess my biggest problem with that combo is both Green Goblin (in its current incarnation) and how I would imagine the Lizard being would be lame when compared to how awesome Doc Oc was. Unless there was a major tweaking of Green Goblin it would essentially be a similar suite with similar powers. To my understanding the Lizard is just a strong, quick, and agile...well lizard. Granted they're both good from a story stand point, but I'm looking at this from my "MOMMY! I WANT TO SEE PEOPLE IN TIGHTS FIGHTING ON THE SCREEN!" mode. Shocker, Sandman, and Venom among other all pose a better visual experience in my head. But SFX do not a good movie make.

But in all honesty Spidey could be going up against a can of creamed corn and I'll be first in line to see it. :)

Mutley Hyde 12-10-04 03:59 PM

Ya gotta have The Rhino, so you can set up the dynamic between JJJ, John Jameson, and Spidey, which would ultimately lead to the Man-wolf. Of course, this should take about 3 or 4 more films, with Green Goblin 2 in there somewhere. :D

Lara Means 02-03-05 06:48 AM

http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/772/2/

Spider-Man 3 Villain Locked

Sam Raimi has been promoting the DVD release of his Ghost House Pictures’ The Grudge this past week, so of course while talking with him Now Playing snuck in a few Spider-Man questions as soon as the webslinging director let his guard down. And while Raimi’s spider-sense was tingling – keeping him from revealing too many details about the next Spidey film – he did confirm for us that a villain for Spider-Man 3 has been settled on.

“Alvin Sargent is writing the screenplay right now,” Raimi says. “I’m not supposed to [talk about the villain]. When Sony Pictures decides to release the villain they do it in conjunction with Marvel Comic books. Avi Arad is the president there and my producer, and they’re really the ones that decide how they’re going to present this to the fans of the comic and they love doing it with a lot of drama and a big splash. So they consult with me, but it’s really something… they really want to please the fans and do it in a very particular way.”

Raimi comes across as a nice enough guy, so it’s easy to let such doubletalk pass, but a bit more persuasion from Now Playing’s editors did get the filmmaker to discuss how he decided on the villain for the next film – whoever that villain may be.

“What I did was, when I worked on the story with my brother Ivan, I determined what journey I felt was most important for Peter Parker to take,” he says. “He’s a young man so this is a coming of age story and he’s on a journey to becoming a more responsible adult – in each of the movies. And I tried to determine with my brother which human faults would be displayed in this particular story that Peter Parker would have to exhibit, and then recognize that he had that fault, and then try to grow and develop as a human being as somebody who could overcome that fault. So once [we] determined Peter Parker’s journey, we tried to determine a villain that best presented some aspect of that fault so that he could literally stand in the way of the growth of Peter Parker.”

A lot of fans have high hopes that the villain in Spidey 3 will be Venom, a more modern foe for the wallcrawler than the first two films’ Green Goblin and Doc Ock. Of course, Raimi isn’t saying whether we’ll see the symbiote-suited Venom in the next film or not, but he does explain that the choice of villains also comes down to a balance between character and the cool visual aspect that modern special effects allow (and that would surely make for an amazing Venom, by the way).

“Absolutely we wanted to have a villain not only who would fulfill the character needs but somebody who could entertain the audience on a visceral level and provide great visuals, something we haven’t seen before, and create a real challenge and great foe for Spider-Man and his unique spidery, spider-like powers,” says Raimi.

Spider-Man 3 is currently targeted for a May 2007 release.

darkhawk 02-03-05 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ruderic
Harry could start his own Sinister 6.

Example:

GG, Electro, Vulture, Scorpion, Sandman, Mysterio

I was thinking of them, but I would like to see each of them fight Spider-Man and then they realize they can't beat him by themselves, so then they team up against him.