Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Moulin Rouge (2001)?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Thoughts on Moulin Rouge (2001)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you really want my thoughts?

The only reason I didn't walk out is because there was a fairly huge woman at the end of my row. A few times I had the urge to use her rolls of fat as a step ladder and run out anyway.

I think the low-point for me was Broadbent's version of "Like a Virgin"

I truly hated this movie from opening to ending credits. I'm surprised at how many people got sucked in to this one, but dislike Chicago. Go figure.
Old 12-03-04, 02:10 PM

I hated Chicago, but could tolerate MR. There are certain parts of MR that do make me cringe, for instance the Like a Virgin rendition.
Old 12-03-04, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is really one of those movies that you love or hate, as virtually all posters in this thread have proven.

I'm in the "I love it" category. Nothing in this movie is wrong. Everything is great: music, acting, story, visuals.

Other people think exactly the opposite.
Old 12-03-04, 03:39 PM

I thought this movie was great. I loved the quick pacing, rapid cut. The color in this film was incredible, very lush and bright. I liked the music and thought that it fit well into the film.

This was one of my favorite films of 2001 along with:
Amelie
The royal Tennenbaums
Black hawk down
Memento
Old 12-03-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,174 Posts
Originally posted by taa455
I hated Chicago, but could tolerate MR. There are certain parts of MR that do make me cringe, for instance the Like a Virgin rendition.
To me, Chicago was decent but it was a musical in the "classic" sense. I liked MR a bit better because it seemed more modern.
Old 12-03-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 122 Posts
My favorite film of that year.

One of my favorites of all time.

Ewan STOLE the show. Who knew?

GREAT FILM...(I need to watch it again...NOW)
Old 12-03-04, 07:05 PM

I felt this was the cinematic equivalent of a splatter painting. What a mess of a movie. IMO one of the most overrated films of the decade.
Old 12-03-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Loved it the first time I saw it. Love it even more with each subsequent viewing.

das
What he wrote.
Old 12-04-04, 07:17 AM

I can't get enough of this film. Great direction, acting, music, and storyline.

I also own the 2 soundtracks from the film, and enjoy listening to them as well.
Old 12-04-04, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
To me, Chicago was decent but it was a musical in the "classic" sense. I liked MR a bit better because it seemed more modern.
I know what you mean. In Chicago it seemed the music/songs were kind of a sidebar and had no part in advancing the story. They were just extra fluff. In MR the songs were an integral part of the story. I like that in a musical.
Old 12-04-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
MR Sucks monkey balls....it made my ears bleed.
Old 01-10-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fantastic film...watched it again last night, for something like the 20th time.
Old 01-10-05, 02:04 PM

"Overrated" is a word that shouldn't be used often nor by everyone. In fact I think people should have a permit to use that word once they've proven they're a person with broad experience and taste. And even then only sparingly. People think Da Vinci's Mona Lisa or Homer's The Iliad or The Beatles or the movie Gone With The Wind are overrated as well. But it doesn't diminish the impact that they have had and the impact they continue to have. Everyone who said MR was "overrated" probably have a movie they love but others think are highly "overrated" as well. People should just say they didn't like it or they hated it instead. The word "overrated" is almost meaningless since its so relative.

And if one just goes to see a movie, reads a book, or buys an album just to see what the hype is all about they probably will be disappointed. They probably weren't attracted to the project in the first place and it will never meet the expectation they already have in their mind. The opinions tend to be reactionary and even more vocal if they were induced to experiencing it because of hype. I saw movies like Fellini's La Dolce Vita, Reed's The Third Man, Bergman's Seventh Seal, Franju's Eyes Without a Face, and Luchino Visconti's The Leopard because they're so highly respected among prominent directors and critics. They were disappointing overall but I can't deny their flashes of brilliance. I try not to be affected by what others experienced through their eyes. They were okay but I'm not about to go on trying to convince others they didn't experience what they experienced. On the other hand there are movies like Sideways, Talk to Her, Fellini's Nights of Cabiria, Bergman's Persona which blew me away despite the hype; but I didn't read too much about them beforehand either and experienced them more "first hand". There are also movies that for me get better with repeated viewings like most of Kubrick's films, LOTR, Scorsese's Raging Bull, Singin in the Rain, or Citizen Kane. As for Moulin Rouge, I was exhiliarated after seeing it and no one can deny me that experience. It too gets better with repeat viewings.

Many films, books, and movies when experienced after the hype has died down do seem completely different. Most people are negatively affected by hype and other people's exuberance. Some people like to think they're not part of the herd.

Last edited by IanH; 01-10-05 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IanH
"Overrated" is a word that shouldn't be used often nor by everyone. In fact I think people should have a permit to use that word once they've proven they're a person with broad experience and taste. And even then only sparingly. People think Da Vinci's Mona Lisa or Homer's The Iliad or The Beatles or the movie Gone With The Wind are overrated as well. But it doesn't diminish the impact that they have had and the impact they continue to have. Everyone who said MR was "overrated" probably have a movie they love but others think are highly "overrated" as well. People should just say they didn't like it or they hated it instead. The word "overrated" is almost meaningless since its so relative.

And if one just goes to see a movie, reads a book, or buys an album just to see what the hype is all about they probably will be disappointed. They probably weren't attracted to the project in the first place and it will never meet the expectation they already have in their mind. The opinions tend to be reactionary and even more vocal if they were induced to experiencing it because of hype. I saw movies like Fellini's La Dolce Vita, Reed's The Third Man, Bergman's Seventh Seal, Franju's Eyes Without a Face, and Luchino Visconti's The Leopard because they're so highly respected among prominent directors and critics. They were disappointing overall but I can't deny their flashes of brilliance. I try not to be affected by what others experienced through their eyes. They were okay but I'm not about to go on trying to convince others they didn't experience what they experienced. On the other hand there are movies like Sideways, Talk to Her, Fellini's Nights of Cabiria, Bergman's Persona which blew me away despite the hype; but I didn't read too much about them beforehand either and experienced them more "first hand". There are also movies that for me get better with repeated viewings like most of Kubrick's films, LOTR, Scorsese's Raging Bull, Singin in the Rain, or Citizen Kane. As for Moulin Rouge, I was exhiliarated after seeing it and no one can deny me that experience. It too gets better with repeat viewings.

Many films, books, and movies when experienced after the hype has died down do seem completely different. Most people are negatively affected by hype and other people's exuberance. Some people like to think they're not part of the herd.
Um.....yeah. Ok.

I experience every movie, book, piece of music "first-hand", as you put it. MR is overrated. As in it was Craptacular Craptacular. A good story ruined by Michael Bay direction, shoddy editing, stupid mugging and inconsistent music-quality ranging from terrific to God-awful. Like Loutrec I had the urge to down a bottle of gin while watching this wonderful-looking but still headache-inducing mess.
Old 01-10-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved the film.

I know some people hate it, and I can understand their feelings, but the film just struck a very positive chord with me. I usually don't like the ultra-fast-paced, MTV style of editing, but it somehow seemed completely appropriate here. The story manages to stay completely coherent, the music great, etc. etc.
Old 01-10-05, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rivero
Um.....yeah. Ok.

I experience every movie, book, piece of music "first-hand", as you put it. MR is overrated. As in it was Craptacular Craptacular. A good story ruined by Michael Bay direction, shoddy editing, stupid mugging and inconsistent music-quality ranging from terrific to God-awful. Like Loutrec I had the urge to down a bottle of gin while watching this wonderful-looking but still headache-inducing mess.
How can a movie be "overrated" when it seems like audiences and critics are fairly widely split over Moulin Rouge? Is it "Fantastic" or "Craptacular"? Just look at the opinions on this thread. People tend to either really love this movie or really hate it. If your opinion was more in the minority the "overrated" statement would be more plausible.

Obviously everyone has the right to say that they hated something. But saying that something is "overrated" tends to give the impression that you have authority over other people's experiences and opinions. That they did not experience the movie "correctly". Pretty arrogant. Michael Bay direction? Shoddy Editing? Stupid Mugging? Inconsistent music-quality? I didn't get those impressions. I guess you could put down any movie by posting put downs.

I thought everything was consistent with what Baz Luhrmann was going for and consistent with his style. The movie wasn't for you. Get over it. I'm not trying to convince other people that they should like it or that they should hate it.

Last edited by IanH; 01-10-05 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-12-05, 08:55 AM

That was an EXCELLENT post IanH. Agree with you completely!
Old 01-12-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
How can a movie be "overrated" when it seems like audiences and critics are fairly widely split over Moulin Rouge? Is it "Fantastic" or "Craptacular"? Just look at the opinions on this thread. People tend to either really love this movie or really hate it. If your opinion was more in the minority the "overrated" statement would be more plausible.

Obviously everyone has the right to say that they hated something. But saying that something is "overrated" tends to give the impression that you have authority over other people's experiences and opinions. That they did not experience the movie "correctly". Pretty arrogant. Michael Bay direction? Shoddy Editing? Stupid Mugging? Inconsistent music-quality? I didn't get those impressions. I guess you could put down any movie by posting put downs.

I thought everything was consistent with what Baz Luhrmann was going for and consistent with his style. The movie wasn't for you. Get over it. I'm not trying to convince other people that they should like it or that they should hate it.
Agreed 100%

X
Old 01-12-05, 10:09 AM

When I saw MR in the theater the opening weekend I left thinking "What was that all about?" I saw it with 2 adult female friends and the theater was packed. Afterwards we tried to figure out what we liked and disliked about the movie. I was stunned by Ewan McGregor's singing! We all were. Nicole Kidman wasn't bad, but I was aware that she had taken singing lessons purpously to be able to make this film. I am quite indifferent to her as an actress. Plus, the film was such a whirlwind of color and movement that I was certain that I would never watch it again!

But, a couple of years later, I saw "Down With Love" with Ewan again singing, and suddenly I wanted to see MR again to see if he really was all that good. (By the way, I feel the same about RZ as I do about NK.) So I got a cheap copy of MR and watched it with my husband. And I loved it the second time. I think it's just one of those movies that requires more than one viewing to be appreciated. And yes, EM singing still impresses me. As does his acting. When he cries, I cry too.

So, I am just saying that I was one of those people did not recommend MR to others when it was out in the theatres, but now I do recommend it as a DVD, but I let people know that it takes multiple viewings to fully appreciate the film. Oh, it's far from perfect, but it is very enjoyable.
Old 01-12-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,079 Posts
My wife and I have seen some craptastic movies together. Things like "Super Mario Brothers" and "Street Fighter."

My wife went and saw Moulin Rouge with some friends. About an hour after she had left, she called me. I was surpised and asked "Aren't you supposed to be in a movie." She responded "I had to leave the theater for a little while." She's never done that before (and hasn't done it since.)

She abhors karaoke in general and I don't like it when it's done badly, and that's how she described the movie. Like bad karaoke. I finally managed to catch it on TV and watched about half the film and agreed with that assessment. It's actors who can't really sing getting up and singing innappropriate songs that have only a tenuous link to the plot. Other musicals of late that have done this are "Movin' Out" and "Mamma Mia." Every time a song started it ripped me out of the world they were trying to create.

Anyone who says "Chicago's" music didn't fit with the story obviously wasn't paying attention. Each song tells part of the story, fills in plot details and adds character moments that aren't in the script. "Moulin Rouge" is 2 hours of karaoke with neat set design.

Last edited by Draven; 01-12-05 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-12-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This may not be the most thought provoking movie I've ever seen...but I had FUN. And I get swept into the dream every time I see it.

Plus, I think Ewan and Nicole sing better than Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere and John C. Reilly put together.

Chicago took me MORE out of the movie than Moulin Rouge did, perhaps because EVERYTHING in MR seemed so silly anyway. And Chicago was not FUN.

Last edited by jarofclay73; 01-12-05 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-12-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by jarofclay73
This may not be the most thought provoking movie I've ever seen...but I had FUN. And I get swept into the dream every time I see it.

Plus, I think Ewan and Nicole sing better than Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere and John C. Reilly put together.

Chicago took me MORE out of the movie than Moulin Rouge did, perhaps because EVERYTHING in MR seemed so silly anyway. And Chicago was not FUN.
I had a grin from ear to ear throughout "Chicago."

I will say that Ewan could have been worse...everyone else ranged from "meh" to "turn it off! turn it off! turn it OFF!!!
Old 01-12-05, 06:42 PM

I hated it the first time I saw it then I thought second time ok its a fantasy not meant to be a real thinkers movie and then the third time I just decided to let my mind go and enjoy the ride. It has now become one of my favorite musicals. How can you resist Nicole Kidman?
Old 01-13-05, 07:00 AM
Suspended

History will be the final judge of this movie. Case in point: Citizen Kane.
Old 01-13-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts
Absolute crap -- and I love musicals to death. If the opening half-hour doesn't give you a seizure, the utter lack of a compelling story will. The movie is all sound, fury, hyperkinetic editing and sharp visuals in place of anything remotely worthwhile. The novelty of using modern songs to create an air of timelessness wears out rather quickly, and while Kidman and McGregor are both impressive and charismatic in their roles, the movie never seems to go anywhere or say anything beyond rote cliches. By the last act, we're witnessing a stillborn mess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.