Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

lethal weapon series question

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-19-04, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this thought for quite some time. I love the 1st lethal weapon, it had some great scenes and though I am not totally impressed by Mel as an actor (I think he has a habit of over acting and keeps making funny faces, but this is my opinion!).
Then Lethal weapon 2 came out and that was pretty good, but I was left wondering why they turned it into a comedy series. There wasn't really anything in the first that was funny, in fact it was quite serious for an action film in the eighties.
Does anyone know why they turned them in to comedies?
Old 11-19-04, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
To be honest, while 2-4 had slightly more comedic elements, all four had the same amount of action and political correctness in 'em...

Also, with Riggs' first "cop" scene [the one with the Xmas tree "salesmen"], it's obvious that he has a twisted sense of humour that being suicidal put a damper on. Meeting Rog and becoming a part of his family helped bring his dark sense of humour forward and push his suicidal tendencies to the back. JMO.

Of course, it's also 6 in the morning and i'm tired as hell, so I could be wrong..
Old 11-19-04, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the actors got along so well that it just translated onto the screen so they lightened them up a bit but 3 had a gang subplot w/cop killer bulletts that was a little dark and 4 had a whole asian slavery angle so they do get a little adult but the relationships between the characters is what kept me going back.
Old 11-19-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts
As in any volitale relationship.. you try to laugh to alleviate the pain. Riggs and Murtaugh grow from hating each other to becoming best friends.
Old 11-19-04, 01:23 PM

What gets me about the series is its named after Rigg's character, "Guess we'll have to register you as a lethal weapon, huh?" and how dangerous he is...but by the 4th film he's just fighting with normal fighting moves and essentially no martial arts.
Old 11-19-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
To be honest, while 2-4 had slightly more comedic elements, all four had the same amount of action and political correctness in 'em...

Also, with Riggs' first "cop" scene [the one with the Xmas tree "salesmen"], it's obvious that he has a twisted sense of humour that being suicidal put a damper on. Meeting Rog and becoming a part of his family helped bring his dark sense of humour forward and push his suicidal tendencies to the back. JMO.
I think I agree with everything there, but I am not sure what political correctness you saw in the first film. I do recongize the pc in the last three though.
Old 11-19-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: lethal weapon series question

Originally posted by jdslater
There wasn't really anything in the first that was funny, in fact it was quite serious for an action film in the eighties.
I think most of the shift in tone is due to the addition of Joe Pesci to the cast in Legal Wreckin 2. Donner always referred to Riggs, Murtaugh, and Getz as the Three Stooges, so from that point on the characters were played mostly for laughs. In fairness though, their chemistry was really good in LW2.

And one other point I should make. The third act of LW2 was as dark as anything in the first movie(except for maybe the suicide attempt). Riggs is completely insane at that point, and Leo Getz has almost no purpose by then other than to make a joke about Rianne's commercial and get the crap beaten out of him by the South Africans.
Old 11-19-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do remember reading somewhere, or maybe it was on a commentary that Gibson was supposed to have died in the ending of pt.2.
Old 11-19-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts
Originally posted by Nuff
What gets me about the series is its named after Rigg's character, "Guess we'll have to register you as a lethal weapon, huh?" and how dangerous he is...but by the 4th film he's just fighting with normal fighting moves and essentially no martial arts.
He's too old for this shit. That's the theme thru the entire movie of LW4.
Old 11-19-04, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: lethal weapon series question

Originally posted by jdslater

though I wouldnt call LW2 a comedy it certainly had some hysterical comedic moments throughout, most of them in regards to the Riggs/Murtuagh/Getz relationship. Their chemistry was very good. Bringing back Getz for 3 was a big mistake. It's clear this time that the character was a running joke with no real purpose but to simply please those who liked him in 2. He doesn't even act like Getz