Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Swashbuckler films

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-04, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swashbuckler films

I noticed recently that there has been a revival of swashbuckler type films in the movie houses.

From The Mummy to Pirates of the Caribbean to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

I don't remember these types of movies being as fun as these since Raider of the Lost Ark.

What are other great swashbuckler films are there, including the original ones from the 30's that I have not had the good fortune to watch.

--------

aha! I think I have found what I am looking for

The Douglas Fairbanks Collection (The Thief of Bagdad/The Mark of Zorro/The Three Musketeers/Robin Hood/The Black Pirate/Don Q, The Son of Zorro)

Last edited by joeydaninja; 10-14-04 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-14-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I purchased the Douglas Fairbanks collection earlier this year and loved it. Actually, I just re-watched "Zorro" and "Son of Zorro" the other day. If you like the set go back and pick up both "The Iron Mask" and "Gaucho". They both should have been included in the boxset. If you do a search in this forum on "Fairbanks" you'll find some more discussion in an old silent films thread.

Another new favorite of mine is Le Bossu (1997). It's a French swashbuckler with a healthy dose of terrific swordfighting; I really liked the movie as well.

Another commendable French title would be Revenge of the Musketeers (1994) starring Sophie Marceau from Braveheart. Not as good as "Le Bossu" but a recommended addition for fans of Musketeer films.

Once you've checked out a lot of the classics, you might get a kick out of some lighter fare such as Danny Kaye's The Court Jester (1956).
Old 10-14-04, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, off the top of my head here's some of my favorites:

Errol Flynn classics:
Robin Hood
Captain Blood
The Sea Hawk
Against All Flags

The King's Pirate (remake of Against All Flags)
The Crimson Pirate
Swashbuckler
Old 10-14-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two of the greatest ones ever were Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers (1973) and then the sequel The Four Musketeers (1974). Unfortunately, the second sequel Return of the Musketeers (1989) was not as good.
Old 10-14-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of suggestions in this thread from last year:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=304862
Old 10-14-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by Joe Molotov
Two of the greatest ones ever were Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers (1973) and then the sequel The Four Musketeers (1974). Unfortunately, the second sequel Return of the Musketeers (1989) was not as good.

I would say the reason the first two worked so well was because they were shot as one big project.

I love the old swashbuckling movies, and I especially like the Ray Harryhausen Sinbad films, because they mixed swashbuckling with fantasy.
Old 10-14-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
My favorite is still Scaramouche (1952).

The final showdown between Stewart Granger and Mel Ferrer is one of best swordfighting I seen in cinema IMO. Plus, the late Janet Leigh still look beautiful watching it.
Old 10-14-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm, my further surfing has turned up this

link

Cool beans
Old 10-14-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... perhaps some day we'll have DVDs of such swashbuckler films as "The Black Swan" and "Against All Flags"...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 10-14-04 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adventures of Robin Hood