Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blaxploitation movies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blaxploitation movies

Old 10-13-04, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blaxploitation movies

I'm a fan of B movies, but some of these movies are barely D- movies.

Their soundtracks, however, are top notch.. not only too good for the movies themselves, and not only exceed soundtracks in general, but stand as great albums themselves. "The Mack", Hell Up In Harlem", "Shaft", "Coffy", etc, etc.

But some of these flicks aren't bad, like "The Mack" and
"Superfly" have their own charms.

I understand some of these movies may have been important films as far as social/racial understanding and social/racial breakthroughs ("Sweet Sweetback's..) are concerned, but as films themselves most don't stand up.

My question for some of you old timers who lived and went to movies in the '70's is this:

Are there any of which you eagerly await a proper dvd release that haven't been released yet, as opposed to the mostly weak "Soul Cinema" series?

It's a long shot, but I'm always looking for that obscure goodie.
Old 10-13-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
A couple of the films you mention, Shaft, Superfly and Sweet Sweetback, aren't truely Blaxploitation films. Blaxploitation films are just that, films rushed out to exploit the success of black films like Shaft, Superfly and Sweetback.
Old 10-13-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: Blaxploitation movies

Originally posted by Chill Pill

Are there any of which you eagerly await a proper dvd release that haven't been released yet, as opposed to the mostly weak "Soul Cinema" series?
Boy, I sure would love to see a copy of The Spook Who Sat By The Door to just sit in a rack at a B&R. Looks like "the man" really wants to keep that one down!

But there's still quite a few that need to be released:

Trouble Man-Marvin Gaye soundtrack. I heard the movie's pretty good too.
Black Belt Jones-Cheesey fun.
Cool Breeze-Asphalt Jungle remake.
Hit Man-Get Carter remake.
Three The Hard Way-Jim Brown,Fred Williamson,and Jim Kelly in the same movie!
Candy Tangerine Man-I thought this was getting released this year...Guess not.
Melinda-Underrated mystery/suspense flick.
Gordon's War-One of those "Nam Vet" flicks were they take back the streets.
Top of the Heap-Said to be the strangest blaxpo ever.

Here's 3 more that I haven't seen yet, but if they do ever get released, I'm sure they're gonna have new titles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068838/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072725/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070721/
Old 10-13-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black Belt Jones!
Old 10-13-04, 02:29 PM

The Trouble Man soundtrack is great. The song "T plays it cool" has arguably the funkiest break ever.

Good list there.
Old 10-14-04, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the Trouble Man soundtrack when it was released. Wonderful album. Many of the Marvin Gaye tracks hold up well today. Truck Turner, in my opinion, is also a great, great soundtrack....Isaac Hayes was at the top of his game in those days, and its no accident that Tarentino borrowed the soundtrack groove, as well as another Hayes gem....Hayes also did a film called Tough Guys with some very good music. Incidentally these two soundtracks were released several years ago as a 2 CD set.
Some of the best black artists of the era came through with some stellar tracks for these films......Hayes, Gaye, The Four Tops, Billy Preston, James Brown, the list goes on.....the music has stuck around well past some of the films and can be found either in re-release state or on a few blaxsploitation movie compilation CDs.
As far as grand releases, I'd be happy just to see Three The Hard Way get any kind of a DVD release....and seeing as how Shaft spawned 2 sequels, a TV series circa 1974, and a remake, I would think it deserves a full blown SE treatment somewhere down the road.

Last edited by nightmaster; 10-14-04 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-14-04, 06:13 PM

I desperately want Black Belt Jones on dvd.

And, as mentioned, a Shaft SE would be welcomed with opened arms...
Old 04-04-06, 05:15 PM

A lot of these films are pressed onto dvd in other countries, like the UK and Australia. Search for them on e-bay and you'd be surprised. Most are changed to a full screen format though, but will satisfy until the US studios decide to release them.
Old 04-04-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you're into these flicks, you should check out Baadasssss Cinema. It's a documentary produced for IFC a couple years back, it's out on DVD & pretty good too.
Old 04-05-06, 05:54 AM

I know this is a 2-year resurrection, but I can't let a thread with "blaxploitation" in the title go without mentioning DRUM. See it.

-JP
Old 04-05-06, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I know this is a 2-year resurrection, but I can't let a thread with "blaxploitation" in the title go without mentioning DRUM. See it.

-JP
You cannot mention Drum without referencing the first Masters of Falconhurst epic MANDINGO. Neither has been legally released, but some greymarket firm called Blax Film has released them.
Old 04-06-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
^I've seen both and liked Drum better. At least that one had an ending.
Old 04-06-06, 04:26 AM

Yeah, Mandingo is a classic but Drum is easily my favorite of the two. Thumbs way up for that film.

-JP