Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scariest Movie ever?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Scariest Movie ever?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-04, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the shinning.
Old 10-09-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Old 10-09-04, 04:54 PM

I actually started mentioning a few flicks that scared the crap out of me on this blog I started. You can check it out at www.chrish73.blogspot.com

I still need to finish as I got a few more to add.
Old 10-09-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 89981
the shinning.
?
Old 10-09-04, 05:50 PM
Banned

session 9 is kinda scary
Old 10-09-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jaws
Old 10-09-04, 09:19 PM

Cannibal Holocaust.
Old 10-09-04, 11:29 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Trigger
how old are you?
Almost as old as the movie. I can't watch the Exorcist without falling on the floor in an uncontrolable LOL fit. Why is this movie scary?
Old 10-09-04, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Spritle
Almost as old as the movie. I can't watch the Exorcist without falling on the floor in an uncontrolable LOL fit. Why is this movie scary?
I think people would take you a little more serious if you said you were bored by it or something, but laughing hysterically?

It just seems like you are overstating your case.
Old 10-09-04, 11:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Applejack
I think people would take you a little more serious if you said you were bored by it or something, but laughing hysterically?

It just seems like you are overstating your case.
I REALLY TRULY LAUGHED the first, second, third time I watched this movie. I mean a preteen girl possessed by Satan vomitting on people.......what's not funny about that?
Old 10-10-04, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Freaks.

Saw it back in the 80s as a midnight movie. Scared the bejeezus out of me!
Old 10-10-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
so you're like 30? when did you first see it? recently? The reason I ask is just that it's one of those movies that was terrifying back in its time - but these days, people seeing it for the first time might find the effects laughable. Personally, I saw it when I was young and it was pretty scary to me. I've always thought Exorcist 3 was more scary though. Hell, back when I saw the Exorcist, I thought The Changeling was scarier. Today I don't know... I'd name some asian horror film, but alot of them are so similar to each other it's hard to pick one.
Old 10-10-04, 02:37 PM
Suspended

Another vote from the Exorcist for me, but yeah I agree the effects are pretty cheesy by today's standards.

Honorable mention must go to the clown in poltergeist though
Old 10-10-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What scares me is usually what I DON'T see. For that reason, among others, I would have to nominate The Blair Witch Project.
Old 10-10-04, 08:22 PM
Banned

people say poltergeist but i think that movie is one of the cheesiest horror movies ever.
Old 10-10-04, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by HE Pennypacker
What scares me is usually what I DON'T see. For that reason, among others, I would have to nominate The Blair Witch Project.
How can you call it the scariest movie ever if you didn't even see it?
Old 10-10-04, 09:30 PM
Banned

I think he means you dont see the witch.
Old 10-10-04, 09:43 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Trigger
so you're like 30? when did you first see it? recently? The reason I ask is just that it's one of those movies that was terrifying back in its time - but these days, people seeing it for the first time might find the effects laughable. Personally, I saw it when I was young and it was pretty scary to me. I've always thought Exorcist 3 was more scary though. Hell, back when I saw the Exorcist, I thought The Changeling was scarier. Today I don't know... I'd name some asian horror film, but alot of them are so similar to each other it's hard to pick one.
Not quite 30 but saw it about 6 or 7 years ago. I guess if you saw this as a child you would freak out but by today's standards it's not as scary. It's still one of the best "horror" films. It has a mood to it that most scary films today don't come close to.
Old 10-10-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Poltergeist because I was a kid when I first watched it, and truly thought that either a clown or a tree would kill me...Obviously now, it doesnt scare me, but I think thats what you have to judge it on. Same goes with Excorcist. Now, doesnt scare me in the least, the first time I watched it, I was pretty freaked out by because I was just a child.
Old 10-10-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Sadly, I haven't been terrified of a movie since I was fifteen. At that time, most any horror movie got to me.

The Ring and House of 1000 Corpses both got to me a bit. But The Ring is just too-damn entertaining as a mystery. And House of 1000 Corpses was too campy and fun (Zombie's skill really impressed me ... you can really tell he's a man with the right directorial influences and appreciates movies).

I kinda miss the feeling of being so terrified after watching a movie that I turn on the lights when walking around the house, or constantly looking around when I'm outside in the dark. And at the same time, I feel a little silly for letting so many suckfests scare me when I was a kid. Some are such bad movies that I'm too embarassed to list them here.

Aweeee.

A few films that I still appreciate for being scary...

The Ring
House of 1000 Corpses
Nightmare On Elm Street
The Exorcist
Last House on the Left
Texax Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Old 10-11-04, 10:24 AM

I guess if you saw this as a child you would freak out but by today's standards it's not as scary. It's still one of the best "horror" films. It has a mood to it that most scary films today don't come close to.
I saw The Exorcist on its original release, when I was 17, and like everyone else, it scared the hell outta me! True, the special effects these days are much better, but you have to take its age into account. I have watched it many times since, and although it doesn't have the same "shock" factor as then, it does have that mood you are talking about, and which, I feel all good scary films should have. That's why I place it on top of my list.

others I have considered as scarefests would include (not in any particular order):

The Shining
The Entity
Poltergeist
The Ring
The Haunting (1963)
The Innocents
The Others
The Changeling
Nosferatu
Rosemary's Baby
Old 10-11-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tommy28
Poltergeist
For me, its the sequel, Poltergeist 2. I had nightmares about that old man dressed in black for days after seeing it. Of course, I couldn't tell you one other thing about the movie.
Old 10-11-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another for the Exorcist since I saw it as a kid and it scared the crap out of me. Another is Burnt Offerings which I saw around the same time.

Recently, I thought the Ring and Blair Witch were very good. I don't find slasher films scary, though.
Old 10-17-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The devil speaking on the tape recorder is what scared me about the exorcist.

I have to say:

Ring
Blair Witch Project
Changeling
Ju-on
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Children of the Corn
Old 10-17-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love horror films, good bad or in between, but in general they don't really scare me. So, the film that has the honor of scaring the living hell out of me the most goes to James Cameron's Aliens.

My mother let my sister and I watch that when we were 7 years old, way back when. We watched it in a dark room, and woohoo did it scare the living hell out of me. When the chestburster popped out of the little boy I could barely look. Ahh to be young and able to be scared.

Funny thing is, I remember her renting it and looking at the box and thinking the movie starred some hispanic guy. Then watching the movie and realizing it was a woman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.