Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Decline of the Star Trek Movies: I think I know why.... (Spoilers!!!)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Decline of the Star Trek Movies: I think I know why.... (Spoilers!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by riley_dude
I remember reading that originally they had planned a darker film reminiscent of "Apocolypse Now" but Stewart wanted a lighter film and that's what we got.
This is what happens when actors get too much control. Stewart with Insurrection. Spiner with Nemesis.
I don't think either of those stars having their control (and executive producer status) were good for the movies. They got that type of power after First Contact really, and it's obvious what it did. Hell, the same thing happened with the Alien franchise when Sigourney got a ton of power after Aliens.

Not that B&B were helping anymore.
Old 10-05-04, 04:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Odd that no one mentions that Jonathan Frakes directed First Contact and Insurrection, what about the power he had?

And the original cast got a lot of power after the first film. Nimoy would only do II if Spock died, he would only do III if he could direct, he co-wrote the story on VI. Shatner would only do V if he wrote and directed.
Old 10-06-04, 06:21 PM

I remember first hearing about the Romulans being the featured villians for Nemesis and i thought that this was going to be a sci-fi/action/war flick....with the Klingons in the OS being the main villians,we never got a chance to get the full affect of the Romulans. We knew they were badass from a few episodes,but we were never shown they're full potential. We know they were basically evil Vulcans...intelligent,but yet...Bad!

Granted, the Borg took over that badass status, I felt Nemesis couldve gone deeper into the Romulan's relationship with Humans,Vulcans,and Klingons.Have the Romulans take advantage of the Starfleet/Borg war in First Contact,they sat all these years waiting for the perfect moment to strike...here's their chance. Starfleet being crippled and now re-building the fleet,have the Romulans best vs. Picard,in an all out war using strategy to win, fleet vs. fleet (where is that famous "Picard Maneuver" when you need it?)

IMO, Nemesis couldve been so much better this way
Old 10-06-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember reading that originally they had planned a darker film reminiscent of "Apocolypse Now" but Stewart wanted a lighter film and that's what we got.
This is what happens when actors get too much control. Stewart with Insurrection. Spiner with Nemesis.
i was in the army when it came out. i was expecting a major rebellion by picard against the federation for some transgression or other. what i got was some stupid stunt he pulled that maybe .001% of the people in the federation will ever care about. and the only thing riker did was command the enterprise while it got shot up with barely a shot fired back.
Old 10-06-04, 07:12 PM
Banned

Re: Decline of the Star Trek Movies: I think I know why.... (Spoilers!!!)

Originally posted by needamazing
[B]
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Event: Nothing

Again in this movie nothing big really happened. No one died. Nothing got invented or destroyed. It felt like a long episode although it was well done. But, since nothing really happened the movie is not remembered for anything extraordinary and thus is not looked upon as one of the best. The decline continues
Have to disagree big-time here. Nothing happened?? The legendary Star Trek crew was decommisioned for Chrissakes! This was the beginning of peace with Klingons. I'd say The Undiscovered Country is very fondly remembered by fans, even moreso now than just a decade ago when it was released. A fitting close to that Star Trek chapter.
Old 10-07-04, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally posted by NotoriousDRE
I remember first hearing about the Romulans being the featured villians for Nemesis and i thought that this was going to be a sci-fi/action/war flick....with the Klingons in the OS being the main villians,we never got a chance to get the full affect of the Romulans. We knew they were badass from a few episodes,but we were never shown they're full potential. We know they were basically evil Vulcans...intelligent,but yet...Bad!

Granted, the Borg took over that badass status, I felt Nemesis couldve gone deeper into the Romulan's relationship with Humans,Vulcans,and Klingons.Have the Romulans take advantage of the Starfleet/Borg war in First Contact,they sat all these years waiting for the perfect moment to strike...here's their chance. Starfleet being crippled and now re-building the fleet,have the Romulans best vs. Picard,in an all out war using strategy to win, fleet vs. fleet (where is that famous "Picard Maneuver" when you need it?)

IMO, Nemesis couldve been so much better this way
Exactly, I was excited that it was going to be Romulan movie but then.....Remans. enough said.
Old 10-07-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
That's true. Stewart wanted a film reminicent of Star Trek IV and, rather than writing a whole new script or telling Stewart "maybe next time", a whole lot of goofy comedy was added ("in case of a water landing, I can double as a floatation device") and all drammatic moments were either trimmed (LaForge's eyesight, high ranking officials abusing their rank in the Federation for their own ends) or excised completely (Ruaffo's exile at an early age) to change the tone of the film to what Stewart wanted.

There was even to be an epic conflict that would have had characters from DS9 and Voyager cross over into this TNG film but it was never filmed.

EDIT: I'm not comparing Insurrection to STIV. I love the latter and hate the former. It's just that Stewart once stated that he wanted Insurrection to be TNG's Voyage Home type movie. Really stupid considering the subject matter of the film was about mass genocide approved by the Federation (well one high ranking meber of the Federation). I fail to see the comic potential in that.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-07-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Heres how I look at it:

Original Crew = Awesome

TNG and Everything Else = Crap

Old 10-08-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The problems with the TNG movies is that they're simply not put together well.

Generations is the greatest offender here. From the uniforms to the sets to the characters, nothing really fits together very well. It's lacking a lot of internal consistency, and the plot feels simply like a 2-hour long Star Trek episode. There are a lot of neat character advances, but it's nothing we haven't seen before and better too (Data grappling with emotions, Picard's family life, etc).

First Contact is where they got a lot of things right. I don't mind the drunk genius storyline, it worked. If you wanted to see a genius strut his stuff it would have been a movie filled with stupid, boring treknobabble. The "cute" moments actually worked in this movie (blowing the hair on Data's arm, the pee joke, "engage", etc.). It also should have been the complete and total end of the Borg EVER.

Insurrection I won't even touch.

I didn't see Nemesis, because I still wanted to have some respect for Star Trek.

Furthermore, I never felt that the TNG cast lived up to the quality of characterization that the OS cast did. Picard and Data weren't great characters, and at least you could call several characters from TOS assholes. There was just something a little more interesting about swashbuckling Star Trek characters.
Old 10-08-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
i thought data dies in nemisis.
oh crap! spoiler tag that kind of stuff man!!! awww
Old 10-08-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• peon73 •

oh crap! spoiler tag that kind of stuff man!!! awww
Is this a joke I'm not getting?