Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: LOTR, is it overrated?
Yes
26.53%
No
73.47%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

LOTR, Overrated?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Talkin2Phil
I think water is overrated, I like air much more.
Dude no way, air puts me to sleep. Water kicks ass, almost as much as Star Wars.

Damn air fanboys.
Old 09-28-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sick to death of these Air and Water apologists. Fire is the ultimate element, and anyone who thinks differently is on crack.
Old 09-28-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is their anyway in hell to have the term "fanboy" banned from this site...And just to let you know, "earth" kicks all their silly little special edition water, air, and fire asses.
Old 09-28-04, 07:53 PM
Banned

i realy dont like LOTR that much i had the first movie but then sold it.not realy my kinda flick.
Old 09-28-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
The films are good, but not great.
I agree. I own all the theatrical DVD's but ROTK is still in the unwatched pile. I find I have to really be in the mood to watch them, especially with the 3+ hour runtimes.
Old 09-28-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
Hate to say this, but I agree with Jack on this thread!

FWIW, I am watching the PT DVDs of SW in a drunken stupor, and they aren't that bad.
Old 09-28-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I for one loved them! IMO I don't think they are overrated.
Old 09-28-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Hate to say this, but I agree with Jack on this thread!

FWIW, I am watching the PT DVDs of SW in a drunken stupor, and they aren't that bad.
Join me, together we can bring an end to this pointless conflict!
Old 09-28-04, 09:35 PM

Just to clarify, saying something is overrated is not saying it sucks. Case in point, everyone rates Citizen Kane at least "good." However, I think that most people would also say it's overrated.
Old 09-28-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
there are better words then overrated. You started out with your little "700 movies under my belt" speech to sound like your opinion is more valid then the next guy when in reality it's just an opinion.

You didn't like it.. So freak'n what. Much like citizen. You may not have liked it. But your opinion doesn't change the FACT that Citizen Kane or for that matter LOTR is any less important for film history.

was it jaeufraser who mentioned the constant abuse and rape of the word Overrated? I agree with him. Use a different word to describe your feelings towards this movie because "OVERRATED" isn't working well to express your point. Also, marking anyone who actually enjoyed LOTR as a "fanboy" is stupid. no wait, it's beyond stupid. I'm not a LOTR fanboy. Infact I'm one that says that it is pointless to ever compare LOTR and SW. They are different beast and they were a success for different reasons.

For book to film translation, LOTR did wonders. Now can you address those post that disagreed with you?
Old 09-28-04, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Hiro11
Best thread ever?
No, that title is reserved for the eventual "Which is the better Film Trilogy - The Original Star Wars or The Lord of the Rings?" poll once the ROTK: Extended Edition is released on December 14, 2004.
Old 09-28-04, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Doughboy

And The Return of the King, while better than The Two Towers, had an annoying deus ex machina with the ghost army and an ending that didn't know when to wrap it up. And let's not forget how Peter Jackson removed Saruman from the film completely, creating a 3 hour and 20 minute "epic" of good vs. evil with no one to represent the bad guys other than a fiery, glowing eye atop a tower.
The Extended Edition will help these problems.
Old 09-28-04, 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Any steaming pile of shit is watchable when you're intoxicated. Watch them again tommorow afternoon. You'll feel guilty and dirty, like waking up in bed with an ugly broad who seemed pretty hot the drunken night before.
Old 09-28-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally posted by maveric
Just to clarify, saying something is overrated is not saying it sucks. Case in point, everyone rates Citizen Kane at least "good." However, I think that most people would also say it's overrated.
Personally, I think Citizen Kane is great film, although not my favorite. However, in the case of Citizen Kane being labeled the "greatest American film ever," you have to look at the criteria for rating that. Is the greatest film just the film the majority like the most? Or do you take into consideration the considerable new ground Citizen Cane covered, and its massive influence on the future of film?

Overall, I don't like lists or rankings of films that much. What matters most is your own opinion of a film. So you didn't like Citizen Kane that much, so what? So you didn't enjoy LOTR as much as others did, who cares? Why do you need to start a thread for someone else to validate your opinon?
Old 09-28-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: LOTR, Overrated?

Originally posted by maveric
I'm a pretty big movie buff with about 700 movies under my belt.

While I think the LOTR movies are decent, I'm surprised how many people consider LOTR the best movie trilogy of all time. IMHO, I don't think they're even in the same ballpark as Star Wars 4-6, Indiana Jones or the Godfather (even considering #3).

I found the LOTR movies to be generally overly drawn-out with many unnecessary scenes. In fact, I actually fell asleep during #1 and #3. IMHO, they could have, and should have, edited down the LOTR trilogy to a bilogy.

All I know is that I definitely have a hard time seeing any of the LOTR multiple times (unless I have problems falling asleep). However, I have no such problems with the aforementioned trilogies.
This was worse than my first post (or maybe this is your third?)

Here's a quick bit of news for ya:

I myself can't stand any of the LOTR films, In fact they kind of annoy me, but guess what? They are amazing films - I've seen the first two and completely understand why people are in love with them but movies like this just aren't my thing but like I just said, just because I don't like them doesn't mean they aren't great................that my friend is called "being open-minded" - I think the direction is great, story is more than solid, and the acting and many other things I'm leaving out are perfect - I just don't like movies of this material, but I do apprecaite them and applaud the hard work of those who made it happen - no doubt.
Old 09-28-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My respect for you has increased by +5, Rival11. Very well said.

that post was either his second or first post. He only had two post at the time when this thread was created.
Old 09-29-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts
Any popular movie will always be considered overrated, especially by those who didn't see it before all the hype began. Great expectations is always a bad thing to have before watching a movie for the first time.
If I were to watch Star Wars today for the first time ever, I'd probably go 'What's the big deal'.
Old 09-29-04, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
... You started out with your little "700 movies under my belt" speech to sound like your opinion is more valid then the next guy when in reality it's just an opinion...
There seems to be some misunderstandings here.

I only stated the 700 movie thing to demonstrate that I've seen a fair share of movies from which to draw comparisons. I'm not saying it to boast or anything like that. That's just my Netflix ratings count. Really, all I'm saying is that I think that LOTR ranks pretty well against the 700 movies that I've seen, but I don't think that it's the absolute cream of the crop.

Over the last year, I just kept hearing people saying over and over that LOTR was the best ever. I started thinking that there was something wrong with me for thinking otherwise. It seemed like I was the only one who thought this.

Some of my favorite movies include Godfather I & II, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Terminator, Aliens, American Beauty, Spinal Tap, There's Something About Mary, Star Wars 4-6, Raiders of The Lost Ark, Manhattan, Memento, Mulholland Drive and Dr. Strangelove. So maybe LOTR just wasn't my "type" of movie.

So I wrote the original short post to gauge other people's feelings about the topic. I read my original post again and I don't understand why it touched some people's nerve. It was just supposed to be a simple "Yes" or "No" poll.

I guess some individuals would rather hijak a thread and engage in character assassination rather than vote "Yes" or "No." But it does make it more interesting.

Last edited by maveric; 09-29-04 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-29-04, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The reason why it's on the top of the list at IMDB charts is because it is new. You will see that with any movie. Watch it when Episode III comes out. You will see that as #1. It's a flavor of a month list and should not be taken serious.

Now I have to ask you this... Have you even bothered reading the threads post besides the ones that agreed with you? Because if you wanted to pose this question to get some insight then you sure have ignored it because you haven't touched on ANYTHING anyone has said to claim that this film warrents the attention that it gets.

You don't understand how your original post could start a flame war because you are still fresh off the boat, wet behind the ears to the forum. Starting off your forum career with a thread like this isn't the best move. You shouldn't start a thread just to piss people off. By suggesting that it is an overrated film and why FANBOYS are strong behind this film, You are going to get flamed. Do you understand that?

So maybe LOTR just wasn't my "type" of movie.
You should have started it out better then "LOTR, OVERRATED? COME ON FANBOYS. ANSWER ME SO I CAN IGNORE YOU!!!!". Then to compare it to star wars... You really were asking for anything BUT civil discussion to happen in this thread.

I guess some folks would rather just respond to any few post that support his insane thoughts instead of responding to the two pages worth of post that are against your views and offer good points you just ignore because they do not follow your thinking.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-29-04 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-29-04, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Rivero
The Extended Edition will help these problems.

How exactly will it help clear up the fact that this huge battle to defend the town was completely useless because all they really needed was a bunch of ghosts to show up and kill everything in sight with no resistance?
Old 09-29-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

why is it such a crime to criticize LOTR but perfectly OK to bash other series?
Old 09-29-04, 10:22 AM

These films had every chance in the world to let people down because of the great books, and yet they didn't IMHO. Great movies.
Old 09-29-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Starting off your forum career with a thread like this isn't the best move.
Old 09-29-04, 11:35 AM
Retired

Originally posted by kcbrett5
How exactly will it help clear up the fact that this huge battle to defend the town was completely useless because all they really needed was a bunch of ghosts to show up and kill everything in sight with no resistance?
1. That's in the book, so take that issue up with Tolkien.

2. The battle wasn't useless, they had to hold out until they arrived. This is were the movie failed somewhat. In the books the battle of pellenor fields lasted days (or maybe even weeks, can't recall for sure) so they had to hold out for quite a while before Aragorn showed up with the army of the dead.
Old 09-29-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Overrated in the sense that some people think they are the greatest movies of all time - yes. But they ARE very good and well-made movies and far better than most of the big budgeted "epics" Hollywood has been delivering to us in the past decade or so (which is one of the reasons people think so highly of the films, I suppose).
That pretty much sums the issue up nicely.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.