Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are more foreign film fans more adventurous in their travels?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know everyone's idea of a vacation outside of their own country is different. Some people would rather stay within the confines of a beach resort while other take the offbeaten track and explore the culture of whatever country they are in.

The reason I brought up this question is that I seem to notice that most people who like foreign films are most likely not to stay at some beach or a ClubMed of some sort and really explore the country. My girlfriend and I love foreign films and sad to say, we've never been in a boat cruise, or in a beach resort in Mexico or Costa Rica or Dominican Republic. The closest to a beach resort we've ever been to was in Koh Samui in Thailand or Phuket. We both have gone to some parts of Europe (UK, Spain, Portugal, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Italy, Greece, France), Asia (HK, China, Japan, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam) and some parts of the Middle East (Egypt, UAE, Israel, Saudi Arabia). The more we experience the different cultures in this world, the better we appreciate the way they live.

Yet, I know a few couples who are really into the Hollywood blockbusters and prefer to stay in a controlled enviroment of a Mexican or Dominican Republic beach resort or even a boat cruise. Why stress out on being lost when you are on vacation, right?

I realize there are some adventurous souls who go all over without being a film-goer.
Old 09-24-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Interesting. I'm a foreign film fan too, and I have to admit that while I've been to a bunch of different countries, I've never gone on a cruise or to a beach resort (OK, I went to a resort in Jamaica once, but I was a kid on a trip with my parents, so I didn't have much say in the matter ). The main reason I like to travel is to experience different cultures and see unusual sights. If I want to lounge on the beach, I can do that much closer to home (well, in the summer anyway)
Old 09-24-04, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Americans for the most part are afraid of different cultures, different ways of life. Most don't give two shits about life outside the good ol' US of A. It doesn't surprise me that foreign films here aren't that popular save for the occasional novelty hit every few years.