Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So..where are the "Oscar" films?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

So..where are the "Oscar" films?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Ehh, The Thin Red Line didn't win for Cinematography either.
Yep, either did Il Conformista.
Old 09-11-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Not by anybody who is seriously analyzing the awards. I don't think either film film be nominated, but of the two Passion has the better chance.
I think at this point, F 9/11 and the Passion will both be nominated but probably not win, but it depends on what comes out the rest of the year. So far, the only movie I've seen this year I'd nominate is Eternal Sunshine, but I don't think that movie has a shot in hell.
Old 09-11-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But, unless I am mistaken, Hero was not nominated last year.
Hero was nominated for Best Foreign Film at the 2002 Oscars (the year Chicago won the big prize). It lost to Germany's Nowhere in Africa, IIRC.
Old 09-11-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't even know Hero was nominated before. Oh well. I loved Nowhere in Africa, which won that year.
Old 09-12-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll add my two cents in and say that Passion looks to be the forerunner to win best picture. It was a runaway success and to ignore that would tell us what we already know - most times the Academy is insane. (see Gladiator for Best Picture). Despite some people's claims that they did not enjoy the movie because they did not understand the plot, or get character development to their liking, the director played on the majority of the American population's inundation with Christianity. It doesn't take much to know that Jesus gets captured, gets crucified, and is resurrected, not in this country anyway. Even if you don't know how or why what is happening is happening, a semi-intelligent tree stump could get the gist.

As far as Hero goes, while I liked the movie, it was too reminiscent of CTHD for me. Same fight scenes (fighting with wires on water, in trees), same soundtrack, same kung fu with a message. Don't get me wrong, it was totally different in plot from CTHD, but there was so much there that reminded me of CTHD, it was distracting to me. It should win (or should have won) best picture in China.

And last but not least, I do not think Fahrenheit 9/11 should sniff the best pic award. It played to the democratic mindset (the same people who are now forging documents to get votes) and included nothing of what a best picture is supposed to have: Great acting, Great cinematography, Great Score, Great directing. To even mention it in the same breath as films like Godfather II, American Beauty, Gahndi, etc. is an insult. Then again, so is Gladiator, but... This propaganda film exploits the families of fallen soldiers in the Gulf, and takes way too much liberty with the facts to even be considered a documentary, much less a Best Picture.
Old 09-14-04, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Green Jello
Not a chance in hell. It's too religious and political. The academy won't touch this with a ten foot pole.
About "The Passion of the Christ" You are probably right. I remember reading in Marlon Brando's biography, he said the Oscar's was run by a very influential group of Jewish people.
Old 09-14-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Ruderic
About "The Passion of the Christ" You are probably right. I remember reading in Marlon Brando's biography, he said the Oscar's was run by a very influential group of Jewish people.
Yes, we all know that but I think The Passion of the Christ is still a lock for a Best Picture nomination not because it was good but because it made so much money.
Old 09-14-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yes, we all know that but I think The Passion of the Christ is still a lock for a Best Picture nomination not because it was good but because it made so much money.
I agree there. I doubt it'll win, but money speaks well to the academy, and will often lead to films that wouldn't normally be nominated...being nominated. Note Star Wars and The Sixth Sense as two films that probably wouldn't have garnered nominations if not for the massive box office takes and pop culture influence.

With regards to F 9/11, I'd really hope it isn't nominated for best picture. They have a best documentary category for a reason.
Old 09-15-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

People, people. The "Oscar" fims aren't buzzed yet because they're just being shown in Toronto! As with any award season, the buzz begins at the Toronto Film Festival. And forget all the films that have been out - F9/11 and Passion has very litte chance, as the studios behind them aren't known Oscar buzzmakers (well, unless you kount Harvey behind F9/11). The buzz is building on the following titles:

KINSEY - a ton of rave reviews for the films from everywhere, from the director/writer of GODS AND MONSTERS. Liam Neeson also has a good chance at getting nominated.

RAY - again, great reception, and Jamie Foxx looks unbeatable as Best Actor.

HOTEL RWANDA - tremendous reception, but the film is very, very sad. Don Cheadle is another Best Actor nom locked.

THE SEA INSIDE - never mind that it's in Spanish - Javier Bardem is taking the world by storm,a nd so is Aejandro Amenabar (the directorof THE OTHERS)

THE MERCHANT OF VENICE - Al Pacino's raved-about performance is a shoo-in.

SIDEWAYS - Alexander Payne's newest is also getting people hopping. May get quite a few noms.

P.S. - Laura Linney has to fight herself again this year, what with this performance and the one from KINSEY.

BEYOND THE SEA - another best actor possibility for Kevin Spacey. A very strong year for Male Actors - it's going to be difficult to narrow the list to just 5 noms...

FINDING NEVERLAND - Oi vay, another Best Actor possibiity! Johnny Depp I heard is very good. With Miramax's muscle, this shoud go far.

VERA DRAKE - Mike Leigh has been an Academy favorite for a whie, so it won't be surprising to see this get a few noms, especially after winning the Golden Lion and the buzz afterwards.

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 09-16-04 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-15-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it will be a shame that best original screenplay will probably pit two of the better movies against each other --"eternal sunshine .." and "garden state".
Eternal Sunshine was my favorite movie of the year, and I have a feeling it will stay that way through the end of the year. I hope it gets some well-deserved recognition at the Oscars.
Old 09-15-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
People, people. The "Oscar" fims aren't buzzed yet because they're just being shown in Toronto! As with any award season, the buzz begins at the Toronto Film Festival. And forget all the films that have been out - F9/11 and Passion has very litte chance, as the studios behind them aren't known Oscar buzzmakers (well, unless you kount Harvey behind F9/11). The buzz is building on the following titles:

KINSEY - a ton of rave reviews for the films from everywhere, from the director/writer of GODS AND MONSTERS. Liam Neeson also has a good chance at getting nominated.

HOTEL RWANADA - tremendous reception, but the film is very, very sad. Don Cheadle is another Best Actor nom locked.

THE SEA INSIDE - never mind that it's in Spanish - Javier Bardem is taking the world by storm,a nd so is Aejandro Amenabar (the directorof THE OTHERS)

SIDEWAYS - Alexander Payne's newest is also getting people hopping. May get quite a few noms.

P.S. - Laura Linney has to fight herself again this year, what with this performance and the one from KINSEY.

BEYOND THE SEA - another best actor possibility for Kevin Spacey. A very strong year for Male Actors - it's going to be difficult to narrow the list to just 5 noms...

FINDING NEVERLAND - Oi vay, another Best Actor possibiity! Johnny Depp I heard is very good. With Miramax's muscle, this shoud go far.

VERA DRAKE - Mike Leigh has been an Academy favorite for a whie, so it won't be surprising to see this get a few noms, especially after winning the Golden Lion and the buzz afterwards.
That sounds good. If the Best Actor nominees are gonna be Johnny Depp, Liam Neeson, Al Pacino and Jaimie Foxx you can call me a happy camper!
Old 09-15-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im hoping for some life of the aquatic action this year...this has been my most anticipated movie of the year!
Old 10-22-04, 10:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Grimfarrow

HOTEL RWANDA - tremendous reception, but the film is very, very sad. Don Cheadle is another Best Actor nom locked.

In terms of KINSEY - I just a sneak of the film last night and I have to say I found it a tad dissappointing, it's a fascinating story, but the scriptwriting is surprisingly lacking. Liam does a good job with his portrayel of Kinsey, but certain aspects of his manners, motivations, and characters either seemed not to have been filmed or fell to the cutting room floor. This flaw seems very obvious and ultimately hurts the film.

As noted elsewhere in this forum, Jamie Foxx' acting is downright amazing as Ray Charles.

The ensemble acting in SIDEWAYS is riveting and just entertaining to watch. Best film of the year in my opinion.
Old 10-23-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking the Oscars are going to plain old suck this year. I agree it's been a ho-hum year for potential contenders, and I realise that now is the time of year they start bringing out the movies they think will appeal to the Academy members. The best actor nomination list looks like it's going to be a strong one, which I always like to see.....hopefully we won't be treated to another Jim Carrey nomination.
Old 10-23-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nightmaster
I'm thinking the Oscars are going to plain old suck this year. I agree it's been a ho-hum year for potential contenders, and I realise that now is the time of year they start bringing out the movies they think will appeal to the Academy members. The best actor nomination list looks like it's going to be a strong one, which I always like to see.....hopefully we won't be treated to another Jim Carrey nomination.
Yeah i agree that the Oscar contenders don't look strong this year. And yes its early but both Gladiator and Chicago came out before October so I'm not holding my breath for a bunch of great movies being released before Christmas. And I don't think we've ever been treated to a Jim Carrey nomination. This year looks most promising though.
Old 10-23-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Chicago came out in December.
Old 10-23-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by William Fuld
Chicago came out in December.
Oops. Well Gladiator and Braveheart both came out way before October.
Old 10-23-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like big budget action movies as much as the next guy but it seems as if the studios have been far less apt to green light more dramatic films the last few years than before. I hate to think it's because there is a shortage of good scripts or ideas.

There are some very capable younger actors out there with decent drawing power that seem to be attached to films highly unlikely to garner them an acting nomination.....not that that hasn't heppened in the past with names like Burt Reynolds, who wind up getting nods later in their careers.
Old 10-23-04, 06:51 PM

Don Cheadle may be edged out my Jamie Foxx for an oscar nomination....can we have two black actors nominated??? I hope so, but I doubt it
Old 10-23-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

.....hopefully we won't be treated to another Jim Carrey nomination.
Another? He hasn't been nominated for anything before. I remember when Man On The Moon came out, he presented at the oscars and made a joke about not being nominated. In my opinion, I think that is his best performance.
Old 10-24-04, 12:16 AM
Banned

hopefully we won't be treated to another Jim Carrey nomination.
Carrey has never been nominated. He deserves a nod for Eternal Sunshine.
Old 10-24-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry for the fubar guys, my mistake. I was recalling the hubub that went about for him not being nominated for either Man On The Moon or The Truman Show as well as his joking about not being nominated.
Old 10-24-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ray- Jamie Foxx is getting amazing positive buzz for this movie.... He will most likely get a best actor nod

Eternal Sunshine- Jim Carrey has been said to have given a great performance.

Passion Of Christ- Great buzz and amazing movie to have ever been made

Finding Neverland- Some say this is Johnny Depps year to get the Oscar. He gave an outstanding performance...
Old 10-24-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I would love to see Carrey get an oscar nod for Eternal Sunshine.
Old 10-24-04, 12:22 PM

If Morre tries to get F 9/11 a nod for Best Picture and it loses who can see his next "documentary" being about the evil and corrupt world of Hollywood

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.