Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Underworld: Evolution (2006)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Underworld: Evolution (2006)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14616

No Third Underworld for Beckinsale
Source: MTV May 19, 2006

MTV talked to Underworld and Underworld: Evolution star Kate Beckinsale, who says she's not starring in the third installment:

Beckinsale also revealed she will not star in the next "Underworld" movie, which husband Len Wiseman is developing.

"I think it's a prequel before I'm actually in it, so I think that won't include me if it happens," she said.

Click the link above for the full article, in which she also mentions she's not interested in playing Wonder Woman.
Old 05-19-06, 06:44 AM

I would be disappointed if I didn't completely hate UW2. So not interested in the sequel.
Old 05-19-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14616

No Third Underworld for Beckinsale
Source: MTV May 19, 2006

MTV talked to Underworld and Underworld: Evolution star Kate Beckinsale, who says she's not starring in the third installment:

Beckinsale also revealed she will not star in the next "Underworld" movie, which husband Len Wiseman is developing.

"I think it's a prequel before I'm actually in it, so I think that won't include me if it happens," she said.

Click the link above for the full article, in which she also mentions she's not interested in playing Wonder Woman.

I'm cool with this if it's a Prequel. She's cool and sexy but she was never my favorite character in the series. Plus I wanna see more about the Elders.
Old 05-19-06, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm cool with this if it's a Prequel. She's cool and sexy but she was never my favorite character in the series. Plus I wanna see more about the Elders.
More Viktor, Amelia, Kraven (I know the actor is bad, but he's hot), Lucien (possibly) and sigh......Marcus?

That was one of my problems with Evolution, the story seemed so dissected. Everyone was at their own hiding place doing their own thing while Marcus was chasing, finding and destroying. I liked the interaction and history of the clans in the first one.

I can live without Selene.
Old 05-19-06, 09:56 AM

she's not interested in playing Wonder Woman.
Old 05-19-06, 11:23 AM

I would be fine with a prequel, but I would really miss Selene. I would like to see more history on the elders (Viktor, Amelia, Marcus) and any other supporting characters they could bring back (Lucian, Kraven, Erika, etc.)

The ending to Evolution left open the potential for more stories, but
Spoiler:
sometimes it is better to let characters walk off into the sunset (or sunrise in this case) and live happily ever after.
Old 06-19-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iggystar
That was one of my problems with Evolution, the story seemed so dissected. Everyone was at their own hiding place doing their own thing while Marcus was chasing, finding and destroying. I liked the interaction and history of the clans in the first one.

Saw this tonight. I went in with reservation regarding the storyline ... but I did like it more than I thought I was going to - and that's from someone who really enjoyed the first. It suffered from some pacing problems at the beginning, where I think Wiseman should have given us a little more time to digest the back story and new developments before kicking full throttle into the action. But boy, the action really was top notch. It was over-the-top and was really freakin' entertaining to watch, especially the final act. I'm in for a 2-disc extended release like the first flick.
Old 06-20-06, 05:37 AM

On the DVD commentary, Len Wiseman mentions that if there is ever an extended cut, there would be more of the scene with Tanis discussing the history.
Old 06-20-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also saw the DVD this past weekend and thought the movie was great! I remember passing on the first "Underworld" when it was first released because of the horrible reviews it was getting not only from critics, but from the majority of members here. When I finally rented it, I was pleasantly surprised and was disappointed I didn't purchase it on release week (then was glad to hear that there was actually a 2 disc extended cut being released, which of course I picked up right away on release day).

I really enjoyed the action and the story of the first (and having Kate Beckingsale strut around in tight leather doesn't hurt the cause either). I was amazed how effortlessly she pulled off portraying such a character different from her other films.

It was great to see "Underworld: Evolution" pick up right where the first left off, along with a little back story on the characters which was fantastic! I enjoyed this as much, if not more, than the first. The action scenes were great and I love the whole story of how these vampires and lycans have evolved over the years (and potentially where the race can go in the future).

I'm glad to see the fanbase growing for this series. I'm down with a prequel (bring on more Markus, Viktor, Amelia, William, Lucian, etc, etc!!!) I hope they can somehow incorporate Selene into the third as well.
Old 06-20-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, maybe I should rent this again. Being fan of first one I was shocked even by fluff standards just how bad this one was. Maybe it was my mood as seems quite few liked this one. Story, setting, the pacing, male actor stuck in follow me puppy dog mode just seem very bland compared to first one.
Old 06-20-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I haven't picked up UWII's dvd yet. I'm waiting for the inevitable, "Super Duper Special" cut.