Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

what makes "Y tu mamá también " good?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

decided to give this movie a try based on the good word of mouth (and that blockbuster had the unrated version). was there anything in this movie that did not relate to sex? the movie played more like american pie with more graphic sex, and no jokes. maybe i missed something in the subtitles, so any help at all would be appreciated. (there was way too many man nudity and not enough female.)
Old 09-04-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

American Pie? Did you even watch the same movie? It was all about the boys relationship with one another.
Old 09-04-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe that, i still have it and might watch it again (i was a bit tired, watching it in my room at 11 pm at night), instead of being wide awake and in the main tv room. i guess i got the amercian pie angle from being about freinds expirimenting with sex. I thought also that some of the content was a bit gratuitus.
Old 09-04-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't know stupid it sounds to compare that movie with American Pie.
Old 09-04-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

American Pie? BAW HA HA HA HA

Sorry Rypro, but the moment I think you've gone out of your new to film as more then entertainment stage you say something like that.

I salute you sir. thanks for the laugh.
Old 09-04-04, 08:55 PM

American Pie comments aside, I'm also looking forward to renting this movie, never got around to watching it but heard that it was a powerful film. Also, anyone have any opinions on Amore Perros? Saw it for sale previously viewed and wondering if it's worth a blind buy.
Old 09-04-04, 09:31 PM

I loved how it examined the relationship between the two boys, and all and all thought it was fantastic.

I'll leave ya alone about the American Pie comment....it's too easy.
Old 09-04-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by eisenreich
Also, anyone have any opinions on Amore Perros? Saw it for sale previously viewed and wondering if it's worth a blind buy.
Good movie. Worth a blind buy especially if you get it for cheap.

And at the American Pie comment.

Watch is again Rypro.
Old 09-04-04, 09:56 PM

well so, what the movie really was about? i watched it long time ago.. and as the OP said.. a bit more of the boy nudity than i'd like.. what't he movie suppose to tell anyway?
Old 09-04-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie has some nice displays of class difference in Mexico (between the two boys, and also with the boat people they stay with for a while) as well as an interesting look into two adolescents trying and finding their sexuality. I think in general the movie was about love, whether it be brotherly or romantic, and the fact that it never seems to last. I also thought the ending was really good. My $.02.
Old 09-04-04, 11:14 PM
Banned

This movie is a total waste of time!
Once you see the opening scene with the young naked chick for a few seconds it's downhill the rest of the way.

You better off watching J. Lo videos.
Old 09-05-04, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by wm lopez
This movie is a total waste of time!
Once you see the opening scene with the young naked chick for a few seconds it's downhill the rest of the way.

You better off watching J. Lo videos.
You didn't find the scenes of the two guys jerking off,
sharing a kiss plus the all that male nudity hot?
Old 09-05-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Simple. Foreigner director. It's a DVDTalk rule of thumb:

Foreigner director = good film.
Old 09-05-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 511 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally posted by Kal-El

I think that's a little unfair, although I'm guessing your being sarcastic. A lot of movies are produced in other countries, and if one of them comes over here usually it means that it has some qualities that make it worth watching.

Other countries get all our movies, we usually get what many consider their best.
Old 09-05-04, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's more to this film that meets the eye. Well, the eye of most viewers, apparently. Throughout the story there's an underlying theme of death. While this becomes evident in the end, it's present all the way from the beginning in various ways, and gives the film an aching, melancholy feel.
Old 09-05-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by drjay
The movie has some nice displays of class difference in Mexico (between the two boys, and also with the boat people they stay with for a while) as well as an interesting look into two adolescents trying and finding their sexuality. I think in general the movie was about love, whether it be brotherly or romantic, and the fact that it never seems to last. I also thought the ending was really good. My $.02.
Very nicely put.

That's one of the main reason I like this movie since at first it seems the movie is just about the friendship of the two boys and their sexual adventures but Cuaron, is able to transcend that to show us about the class differences and social situations in Mexico.
Old 09-05-04, 10:41 AM

I wouldn't have expected hasty generalizations like this from you, Superman.
Old 09-05-04, 11:12 AM

Yeah.. i got the part about social situation in Mexico.. ( i guesss ).. but what's with the two boys kissing and stuff... didn't kow what's going on.. are they like gay or bi?
Old 09-05-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts
It entertained me.
Old 09-05-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rented this once not knowing quite what i was getting. This is just another one of those crappy foreign subtitled films. Give me movies that i can hear in English and understand without having to read subtitles that distract you from being able to pay proper attention to the action on the screen. Good grief, if i wanted to read i'd buy a book!
Old 09-05-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

oh and i guess i'm not wrong on the american pie comment
allmovie.com
Y Tu Mamá También has been casually referred to as a Spanish-language American Pie, perhaps because both films include footage of taboo body fluids floating in liquids they don't usually call home — a swimming pool here, a beer there.
Old 09-05-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts
Rypro 525,

The reason that comparison is made is because of the humor present throughout the film. Most non-Spanish speakers don't get it and usually think the film is super serious (it is in parts but not really) which I guess is the fault of the english subs (dunno for sure since I watched it unsubtitled since Spanish is my first language). Then again, the humor that is there isn't all that great and neither is the story. The actors and director are all good but the movie is crap. Too bad since I was looking forward to it way back when it was first announced outside the US. Sadly, once I got my hands on it, I was struggling to stay awake. One of the worst films I've ever seen.
Old 09-05-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jpdude
I rented this once not knowing quite what i was getting. This is just another one of those crappy foreign subtitled films. Give me movies that i can hear in English and understand without having to read subtitles that distract you from being able to pay proper attention to the action on the screen. Good grief, if i wanted to read i'd buy a book!

Old 09-05-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally posted by jpdude
You're joking, right? I don't like this movie either but that is a very silly reason for disliking it.
Old 09-05-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are a few exceptions through. Like Battle Royale II. But other than that, you're correct.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.