Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jim Caviezel as Superman?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Superherohype is reporting that Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ, Count of Monte Cristo) is going to be Superman.

Comic book writer Mark Millar has posted on his official website that "The Passion of The Christ" and "The Count of Monte Cristo" star Jim Caviezel is the new Superman...

"You remember I told you to relax about Superman? That a very, very trusted and experienced director we'd all love was coming over? That McG was just a blip? That everything would be fine?

Well, my same good buddy has informed me that, as of last Thursday night, Mister Jim Caviezel is officially the new man of steel and what a perfect choice he is. Expect an announcement shortly. Also, this Superman Returns thing was just for the press release. The movie itself is called SUPERMAN (Reeve's was called SUPERMAN THE MOVIE) and it's starting everything from scratch. Brainiac. Krypton. Robots. Alien super-cities."

We'll have to wait and see if Warner Bros. confirms this. Bryan Singer is directing the film for a Summer 2006 release.

Caviezel's manager, Beverly Dean, previously said that the actor would be interested in playing the role. "Would he like to do it? He loves Superman. But the truth is there has been no offer, the script isn't even finished - but absolutely he'd be interested.
Old 08-30-04, 12:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I can see the tagline now:

This time, Superman will have an all-new way of "Saving" humanity...
Old 08-30-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see a problem here! Great casting! Jim just needs to bulk up! Which is very easy with the correct diet and working out! C'mon Sups!

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 08-30-04 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-30-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's true I like it, but I'll wait 'til supermanhomepage.com reports it. On a whole other note, Jeph Loeb has debunked the Tom Welling as Superman rumor:

It would be great to have Tom play Superman in the movie -- it's the perfect transition. But that would push the movie back two years since we're planning [Smallville] through Season 6 at least and that's not going to happen. They'll find someone great -- they always do!
We can always still hope for 2007:

Old 08-30-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't we discussed this already? At length? I refuse to believe in Superman, the movie, the director, the stars, the screenplay until I see it at a theater with my own two eyes.
Old 08-30-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by iggystar
Haven't we discussed this already? At length? I refuse to believe in Superman, the movie, the director, the stars, the screenplay until I see it at a theater with my own two eyes.
We've discussed Star Wars changes and how luca$ has raped millions of people's childhoods to death too. You don't see a reduction of Star Wars threads do you?
Old 08-30-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice choice, but he's too old for the franchise they're planning on making...

Let's see.
Old 08-30-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jim would be perfect for this part, and lend a real gravity to a franchise with a lot of potential.

Obviously there will be a lot of 'Jesus' jokes forthcoming, but that's just plain silly - Jim is a very good actor, and if he bulked up a bit could fill the man of steel's shoes NICELY.
Old 08-30-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Having Welling play Superman does NOT push the movie back until 2007!. Welling films Smallville this season, goes off to film the movie then returns to film the final season of Smallville. The movie then goes into post-production and is released in the summer of 2006. Simple as that. Chris Carter did the exact same thing when doing The X-Files movie.

I've got a bright shiny nickel that says it will either be Welling or a total unknown. Jesus ain't going to be Superman... Caviezel is 36 years old for chrissakes! (No blasphemy intended! )
Old 08-30-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If true, it's somewhat ironic, because Superman artist Alex Ross has been quoted as thinking of Superman as a "failed Christ figure."

Whatever a "failed Christ" is supposed to mean. Since hearing Ross' comment, I've wondered what constitutes a "failed Christ"? Can't work miracles? Doesn't get cruxified? Doesn't rise from the dead?

If you think about what the character does, bends steel in bare hands, sees thru walls, can fly, miracles are pretty much his stock in trade. Rise from the dead…been there, done that. Considering what DC has done to the the character during the past 10 to 15 years, cruxifiction is the only thing that hasn't happened to him…yet.
Old 08-30-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But who would win in a fight? Jesus or Superman?
Old 08-30-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Nice choice, but he's too old for the franchise they're planning on making...

Let's see.
yeah. JC is actually a ...(gasp) man!

what the hell is it with this Logans Run culture?
Old 08-30-04, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Abranut
Could jesus find some cryptonite?
Old 08-30-04, 05:34 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Jon2
If true, it's somewhat ironic, because Superman artist Alex Ross has been quoted as thinking of Superman as a "failed Christ figure."
I dunno, $370+ million domestic and $609+ million worldwide says Jim C was a pretty darn successful Christ figure.
Old 08-30-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by HN
I dunno, $370+ million domestic and $609+ million worldwide says Jim C was a pretty darn successful Christ figure.
I was thinking the same thing earlier. I'd venture to say the word "serendipitous" is actually more appropriate to use.
Old 08-30-04, 07:05 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as it isn't Nicolas Cage or Dean Cain, then I'm happy.
Old 08-30-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Maybe Ross meant.. failed as in "he can't save everyone."

Originally posted by ckolchak
yeah. JC is actually a ...(gasp) man!

what the hell is it with this Logans Run culture?
27 years old is a boy? Christopher Reeve was 26 when he donned the tights.

The problem is this: if, and I'd have to think that the WB is thinking franchise, they film the third installment (because it's hip and trendy to do the trilogy thing), Caviezel would be in his forties. Maybe they've learned that multiple actors playing the same role (Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney) just doesn't work.
Old 08-30-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Abranut
Jesus.

Because Superman has a weakness to two things; kryptonite and magic.

The last I heard, Jesus has none and pretty much represents the most powerful magic around.

Now there's an idea for a vs. story.

Superman vs. Jesus.

Maybe Neal Adams could draw it. He'd be a natural since he did the Son O' God comics in National Lampoon.

Sheesh, I feel like such a fanboy.
Old 08-30-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Jim Caviezel as Superman?

Originally posted by fumanstan
Superherohype is reporting that Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ, Count of Monte Cristo) is going to be Superman.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 08-30-04, 10:44 PM

Re: Re: Jim Caviezel as Superman?

Originally posted by Mr. Cinema
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Why, what's so bad about him? He has the right look for the part, and he can act Most of the names that have been tossed around have made me cringe. I still can't believe Nic Cage was even seriously considered. If he was Superman it would be a comedy. A balding Superman with a funny voice? Please god no

I was hoping for either Jim or Tom Welling, so I'll be happy if the rumors are true. I'm hoping Jim can become a really successful leading man, and not have to be called "that guy who played Jesus" for the rest of his career.
Old 08-30-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
sweet. I like. now we need a 30-something Lois.
Old 08-31-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Seems everyone has foolproof sources on this one:

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=18257

Jesus did not come from Krypton! Clark Kent is not a Highwayman!
Hey folks, Harry here... Jim Caviezel is not going to be Superman. In fact right now, he isn't even being considered, though his representation is pushing him. Where is the search for the last son of Krypton? It's still a wide search. I'm very curious who is feeding Mark Millar this off-kilter information... as my sources are dead on. Hmmm...

The film is currently at the stage of preliminary location scouting all over the place, word has it Bryan has only just returned from checking out Australia. Word has it, that Bryan is beginning to form ideas regarding how would do for Superman, but he has been staying mum on the project... only... they've never played Jesus or have been a TV Superman. So that's the gosh-darned truth of the matter.
Old 08-31-04, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Kal-El
We've discussed Star Wars changes and how luca$ has raped millions of people's childhoods to death too. You don't see a reduction of Star Wars threads do you?
This seems to take less and less time for every new thread that's created.

From now on, perhaps all thread creators should just get a shot in on Lucas/Star Wars in the original post. You know, just to get it out of the way.
Old 08-31-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Meatpants

Hey folks, Harry here... Jim Caviezel is not going to be Superman. In fact right now, he isn't even being considered, though his representation is pushing him. Where is the search for the last son of Krypton? It's still a wide search. I'm very curious who is feeding Mark Millar this off-kilter information... as my sources are dead on. Hmmm...
Well, my "dead on" sources told me P.Diddy was playing Superman.

Of course, the voices in my head are hardly wrong..
Old 08-31-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally posted by Meatpants

The film is currently at the stage of preliminary location scouting all over the place, word has it Bryan has only just returned from checking out Australia. Word has it, that Bryan is beginning to form ideas regarding how would do for Superman, but he has been staying mum on the project... only... they've never played Jesus or have been a TV Superman. So that's the gosh-darned truth of the matter.
I will believe that imaginary critic Sony was using before I believe anything from that site.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.