Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A.I. a great movie that was overlooked and shunned by the public?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A.I. a great movie that was overlooked and shunned by the public?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DigIt
You state that soap operas are "object lessons in how to manipulate other people's feelings to one's own devious ends." So, for a soap opera it's "devious," but for Spielberg it's a brave choice that flies in the face of "brainwashed society." Why the double standard?
I meant that in TV soap operas, the refuge of supposedly "sentimental" women, the characters are devious and try to control each other all the time, which is not the case with the main character in A.I., who is tragically sincere.
Old 09-29-04, 07:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I'm one of those people. While I didn't really like the ending that much, it wasn't about the ending; and I'm one of those people who laughed when I heard others thought the Mechas were aliens, because it didn't even cross my mind. I've written so much about this movie in the past that I'm not going to rehash it all here, but one of my main problems with it is that it's so clearly the work of two minds, two minds that IMO don't belong together. So many times we'd start down the path of something intriguing and then get smacked over the head with sentamentality. It was a very frustrating experience, and the whole thing just felt insincere. The absolute worst thing I can say about a film like this is that it was neither challenging nor thought-provoking. For many films, that's fine; for this one, however, it was devastating. I should clarify that this film is certainly not devoid of thought, because artificial intelligence as a concept is inherently thought-provoking; the film, however, added nothing to this IMO and in some cases detracted.

I fully accept that my opinion may be skewed by my expectations. I wanted something that would really make me think, and this just wasn't that kind of movie. It tried to act like that movie, but that's not what it was. I also accept that I'm a very tough critic when it comes to science fiction, particularly when Spielberg is involved. In recent years, I've found myself wondering if Spielberg doesn't understand the complexities of his topics or if he thinks the audience won't understand them, so he dumbs it down for us. Either way, I find myself not liking his work in the genre as much as others. I don't like to be treated like an idiot, and I feel he's doing this in films like A.I. and Minority Report. The guy is so amazingly talented in so many ways, and I can easily understand why so many people love these films, but they just rub me the wrong way.

I don't know what Kubrick would have done, and I think it's silly to assert that it would have been "exactly the same" or "completely opposite" or whatever as justification for an opinion. I do know, however, that it would have been different. How much so I do not know, but I suspect even if in subtle ways, his film would have left me thinking about it when I exited the theater. That's neither here nor there, though, as we'll never really know that reality. What I do know is that this film suffers greatly from that confusion. Kubrick's mark is all over this film, and you can see the points where Spielberg grabs it and drags it somewhere else. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they are too different from one another, and the end result just doesn't work. The final product is a work that is confused about what it wants to be and is trying to accomplish.

As a site note, I thought this film had some of the best acting of the year. While I didn't like it, I was blown away by the performances.

It's really tragic that Kubrick never got to finish this film. I have no idea what it would have become, but I would have liked to have the chance to see it anyway.

das
Best post in the entire thread. Thank you for saying everything I wanted to say.
Old 03-15-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: A.I. a great movie that was overlooked and shunned by the public?

anyone here own this book?

http://www.amazon.com/I-Artificial-I.../dp/0500514895
http://parkablogs.com/content/book-r...on-behind-film

comments?

Last edited by musick; 03-15-10 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. I want it.
Old 03-16-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

That cover is very sexually suggestive. Nudge nudge.
Old 03-16-10, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
That cover is very sexually suggestive. Nudge nudge.
Like the scene in the movie wasn't?
Old 03-16-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Something Kubrick-oriented, sexually suggestive? Wat? NVR!
Old 03-16-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by corycouger
I thought it was powerful and moving film.

Do you think 20 years from now, people will appreciate it more?

no.
Old 03-16-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad Das doesn't come around any more.
Old 03-17-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

We need AI on Blu-ray, like right now.

Not my favorite movie by any stretch, but this will be stunning on Blu.
Old 03-17-10, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The book looks interesting. And yes, to answer the OP from years ago, the film has been VASTLY underrated and misunderstood. Dummies still have the misconception that the ending was aliens and originated with Spielberg.

I am an enormous Kubrick fan who is thrilled with Spielberg's achievement in adopting this project. It is a great collaboration of two of the greatest filmmakers of all time.
Old 03-17-10, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer

no.
I'm not sure what's so about it. Nine years after its release it ranked fairly highly on a number of those Best of Decade lists. It'll always be something of a divisive film, but I wouldn't be surprised to see its reputation grow over time.
Old 03-18-10, 04:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer

no.
Jokes on you pal.

Being that it's a film developed by arguably the greatest director of the 20th century and produced by one of the most important commercial directors of a generation, it will be looked at, examined, reevaluated, and remembered for the remainder of your lifetime (and beyond). It's a film vastly bigger than your opinion of it. It's pedigree alone insures it will have a long lifespan.

Also, many equally dismissive, naive people used to laugh at the idea of The Shining being long remembered. They eat crow today.
Old 03-18-10, 04:42 PM
Banned

I just think it's too much with people recognizing the Spielberg name and what THAT means to them to only see that this isn't the Spielberg they usually see. THerefore...less love among the common film goer.
Old 03-18-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt at the time, and let it sit in my head for a while before I made any definitive as to how I felt about it. Just about everyone I saw it with hated it immediately.
I read some of the discussion in the years since, and I think I've finally come to the conclusion that it just isn't there for me.
It doesn't matter that they aren't aliens at the end- I just don't feel it having any thematic significance to what's come before. Had David been frozen in time in a perpetual state of hope and expectancy- that would seem to me to have been a more significant (if obvious) statement on artificial intelligence having evolved to an even more human dimension.
How are the actions of the AI creatures at the end related thematically to David's journey in the rest of the film?
Old 03-18-10, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
How are the actions of the AI creatures at the end related thematically to David's journey in the rest of the film?
I've always considered 'AI' to be the Genesis story of AI's being told to us by the narrator. We're not seeing it all as it unfolds, instead that last part of the movie is just the part of the tale when the future AIs discover David. With humans long gone, they're able to take a glimpse, via David, of their creators.
Old 03-18-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the mecha's, David was the ultimate time capsule find for them, and their link to their human-inspired origins.
Old 03-19-10, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
For the mecha's, David was the ultimate time capsule find for them, and their link to their human-inspired origins.
I understand that- but the film wasn't about the hyper evolved mecha's search for their origins, it was about David and his connection to the natural world of the present around him and how his 'artificial nature' frustrates that.
I don't see how that end serves the rest of the film.
It's a little like in War of The Worlds where we find whats-his-face at the end safe and sound. Why is that necessary to the story? In the case of WotW it isn't, and it strikes a very false note to a lot of people (myself included, when I otherwise liked the film).
Here I didn't find it false (although a bit confusing which is almost as bad) but it did strike me as a flabby accessory or maybe more specifically, an awkward, and unhelpful tangent.
It's almost like bad fan fiction to me in that it feels it has to spell out explicitly "what happens next is..." when the story already had seemed to reach a satisfying thematic conclusion.
Old 03-19-10, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Jokes on you pal.

Being that it's a film developed by arguably the greatest director of the 20th century and produced by one of the most important commercial directors of a generation, it will be looked at, examined, reevaluated, and remembered for the remainder of your lifetime (and beyond). It's a film vastly bigger than your opinion of it. It's pedigree alone insures it will have a long lifespan.

Also, many equally dismissive, naive people used to laugh at the idea of The Shining being long remembered. They eat crow today.
That is what opinions are... no it is not my loss. For the record I love The Shinning, I thought A.I. was crap sorry that is my opinion. You can have yours and think it is great. To me it was horrible. Hell on vacation last year I visited the hotel where the Shinning was filmed in CO and got some great pics as well. Gotta love all the people on this board who think their opinions are the only ones that matter. I posted my opinion, I do not think A.I will be remembered as a great film. It was tedious to sit through, to many false endings and it really dragged. Oh and I "got" the movie, it seems like everyone wants to try and insult the intelligence of people who didn't like it as they didn't understand or get it if you didn't like this film. It was a departure for Speilberg that is for sure, but I feel he was misguided in making this.

Last edited by d2cheer; 03-19-10 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-19-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The Stanley Hotel in Colorado is not the one where they filmed the movie.

Anyway, A.I. is a fabulous film.
Old 03-19-10, 10:02 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

A.I. was garbage.

This film seemingly had EVERYTHING going for it. Decent casting, the hype of Kubrick's death, Speilberg's involvement... why was it overlooked? because it sucked.

It was basically Bicentennial Man without the fantastic comedic timing of Robin Williams.*

* that part, of course was a joke.
Old 03-19-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
It was basically Bicentennial Man without the fantastic comedic timing of Robin Williams.
(spit take)

'Fantastic comedic timing of Robin Williams'!?!?

I sure as hell hope you were joking there.
Old 03-19-10, 10:13 AM
Banned

I think one thing that really makes me like the film is actually the character of Teddy, the Teddy Bear. Something about that bear just...makes me really love the film. He's there to protect David, to guide him (though David in his hope for humanity doesn't hear him in a lot of situations), and whatnot. Great use of animatronics and CGI there.
Old 03-19-10, 10:16 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
(spit take)

'Fantastic comedic timing of Robin Williams'!?!?

I sure as hell hope you were joking there.
do you always read just 2/3's of a post before you reply?
Old 03-19-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
do you always read
Not always - why do you ask?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.