Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

heads up on WICKER PARK

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

heads up on WICKER PARK

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 04:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heads up on WICKER PARK

i saw this film at a test screening about 2 years ago. Its a pretty poor film, but I give the filmmakers credit for trying something new.

I was bored by it, my friend said she sorta enjoyed it and the rest of the audience seemed mixed on it.

Basicly josh hartnett runs around looking for the girl of his dreams, only to find her gone and replaced with a woman with dark hair. It tries to be suspensful and intriging, but i found it overall confusing and just dull. there is zero violence in the suspense/romance film which was refreshing.

also suprising, is how the film is now pg13. the cut i saw was DEFFINITLY an R. A good amount of cussing as well as two rather explicit sex scenes with nudity. the sex scenes were really well done and its too bad they had to be cut. guess they are holding off for the dvd.

so yea, i saw the film years ago but they probably did reshoots and stuff. i might see it jsut to see how much they changed it. but yea, over all, nothing special or particulary interesting.

matthew lillard is in it too for comic relief. feels out of place with the rest of the serious manner of the film
Old 08-19-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I kinda want to see it anyway... I thought it looked like Single White Female a bit, but figured I'd give it a shot anyway. Movies can change drastically from test screenings - Freddy Got Fingered was awesome in the test screening I saw and terrible when it finally released (about 30-40 minutes lighter)...
Old 08-19-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As this thread clearly points out, there's absolutely NOTHING new about this film.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=380414
Old 08-31-04, 10:08 PM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts
I just got back from a screening of this and felt it was simply so-so. I knew going into it that it wasn't going to get points on originality, but having known that, it handled itself well and knew its limitations.
Old 08-31-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i saw this film at a test screening about 2 years ago
That is never a good sign. If it's been held back for so long then a lot of things must have been wrong with it. Especially with an august dumping ground release.. never a good sign.
Old 09-01-04, 11:19 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Geofferson
I just got back from a screening of this and felt it was simply so-so. I knew going into it that it wasn't going to get points on originality, but having known that, it handled itself well and knew its limitations.
Agreed. The mood of the film is well done, but the jumping back and forth through time gets to be too much. And the marketing is wayyyyyy off promising people a thriller, when this is anything but. It closes with a Coldplay song for heaven's sake!
Old 09-01-04, 11:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Something new? From the previews (which could be misleading, I admit) this appears to be a mix of Single White Female and Vertigo.
Old 09-02-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wicker Park is nothing more than a bad rehash of this film....

One of the Best European films from the last 10 years L'appartement was bought by the US studios and denied a North American release for now obvious reasons....

(just like Girl on the Bridge)

Pro-B
Old 09-02-04, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So is it a thinly veiled remake or is it an actual reworking?
Old 09-02-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That guy on the front cover actually looks kinda like Matt Lillard!
Old 09-02-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts
I feel that L'Appartement was one of the finest films of the '90s, European or otherwise. Wicker Park, the American remake, will (and apparently does) suck because of American studios' predilection towards making everything accessible to everyone. That and the fact that the cast is just far too ridiculous to pull it off with any sort of believability.
Old 09-11-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I saw Wicker Park tonight - it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't good either. Decent story, but much of it is told in flashback and that gets annoying and tedious. The actors did an okay job... fairly lifeless performances, but they managed to convey emotion on occasion. I've seen worse. 5/10.
Old 09-12-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by slop101
I feel that L'Appartement was one of the finest films of the '90s, European or otherwise. Wicker Park, the American remake, will (and apparently does) suck because of American studios' predilection towards making everything accessible to everyone. That and the fact that the cast is just far too ridiculous to pull it off with any sort of believability.
...well said!!

Pro-B
Old 09-23-04, 01:15 PM

Wow, maybe it's because I never saw any of the other films you guys mentioned, but I really like this movie. Big time. I'm going to check it out again.
Old 09-23-04, 02:17 PM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally posted by Seantn
That guy on the front cover actually looks kinda like Matt Lillard!
He sure as hell does. How weird is that?