Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WITHOUT A PADDLE review thread...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 11:52 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.filmjerk.com/nuke/article1010.html

"If you can believe it, “Without a Paddle” actually fancies itself quite a well-intentioned movie by prying a message about the true meaning of friendship away from all the homophobic subtext and steaming bear poo gags. “Paddle” wants to teach the masses that it isn’t about the treasure; it’s whom you’re making the journey with. Aw, that’s sweet. Too bad I was mentally arranging a grocery list when they got around to this part."

http://www.joblo.com/withoutapaddle.htm

"All in all, nobody's going to win an Oscar for this movie, but it does get the job done in terms of providing some easy-going, immature laughs, three personable leads, sexual innuendo & redneck jokes and an inspired choice in Dax Shepard (gets the most one-liners). Heck, even Burt "I'll work for food" Reynolds' cameo wasn't as embarrassing as I thought it might be. A definite rental, but worth seeing on the big screen if you set your expectations down to nix levels."
Old 08-19-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The trailer - the three guys huddled in the cave R. Kelly song starts, "My mind's telling me nooooo, but my body, my body's telling me yes..." That cracks me up everytime I see it.

I'll probably rent it.
Old 08-19-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like a nice feel good movie. Matthew Lillard and Seth Green have always tickled my funny bone. I'll probably check this out sometime this weekend.
Old 08-19-04, 01:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
this reeks of cable fodder.
Old 08-19-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this reeks of cable fodder.
I'd have to agree Looks pretty well aimed at the 21 and under crowd.
Old 08-19-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Berardinelli wrote a scathing review of this movie ... 1/2 a star.

Favorite parts of the review:

"Note: you know you're in trouble when the film's publicist sees you going into the screening and advises, "Good luck. Better you than me."

"I thought it was going to be tough figuring out which of the performers does the least cringe-inducing work, until I considered the acting of veteran thespian Bart the Bear. Bart, who is Hollywood's go-to guy when a bear is needed, does a more credible job than any of his human co-stars, which is a damning indictment, to say the least."

Berardinelli's Without a Paddle review
Old 08-30-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought this movie was pretty funny. It was definitely stupid mindless humor and worth a rental. I'll give it 2.5 stars.

Last edited by Dabaomb; 08-31-04 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-30-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I liked Seth Green in Can't Buy Me Love, and nothing since, Dax was funniest when he was making Justin Timberlake cry, and Shaggy...well, I'm not saying Shaggy needs to die per se, but................
Old 08-31-04, 02:50 PM

Went to see this today just on a whim (it was this or "Hero"....but I was in the mood for comedy). It was pretty weak, though the outdoor shots on the river made me want to go whitewater rafting. I've had a horrible run with the past few movies I've seen (AVP, Suspect Zero, now this one)....bleh....I wish I had gone and seen Hero.
Old 09-02-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Pile of complete shit... avoid at all costs. I was embarassed for all of the actors involved.
Old 09-05-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thoroughly enjoyed this comedy. It was just what i expected it to be when i was going in....a movie that would give me a few good laughs. I expected no more, no less.

I'm just your average movie-goer looking to be entertained...i'm not one of these stupid "wanna-be critics" that analyzes every scene and spends more time looking for something to critisize than actually enjoying the movie.

Matthew Lillard and Seth Green are so funny together, i love the comic genius that both possess.

I give this flick a very good recommendation!
Old 01-13-05, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rented this last night. It was eh. Had a few funny parts. Probably worth the rent if there is nothing else to get. I figured with Seth and Matthew it would be hilarious.
Old 01-13-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought this the other night because my wife and I are both huge Seth Green fans. I was fairly pleased with the movie but I thought some of the jokes ran long

Spoiler:

Running around on the weed crop
The chicks in the tree
The cave cuddling

I thought Seth Green was a real whiny bitch in this movie too. I understand that he was a wimp but the crying and stuff got old kinda fast.
Dax Shepard is someone I had heard of but never seen in anything before. He was very good and way more funny that the other two leads. My wife says now she can't look at Matthew Lillard without thinking of Shaggy so it took her out of the movie a bit. :P