Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Alien or Aliens?
Alien
39.90%
Aliens
56.16%
Twikoff vs Predator
3.94%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Alien or Aliens?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Alien is much better.
Old 08-13-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll take Aliens, but by this " " much. Alien is a great film, I'm not sure if it is groundbreaking - it feels like 2001 meets a horror film. The best parts of Alien are the interaction with the crew and don't really concern the Alien.

Its the same reason that Aliens is so good if not better. Unlike the shitfests that followed it, the group of colonel marines are all developed to a point where you really care what happens to them, not just Ripley. I would say that the movie that most resembles it is Predator because those guys are pretty likeable too..

In terms of entertaining, there is no doubt that Aliens is the more entertaining and more easy to be replayed.

Although when I watch Alien, I get this sense of creapiness that can't be matched.

Like I said, its a tough call, but I will take Aliens
Old 08-13-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a great thread lots of varied opinions.

I would have to go with "Aliens" since I'm a Cameron whore. It's one of those movies that gets quoted as often as the Godfather (proof is read the posts)

I love "Alien" too I think Scott did a brilliant job of creating a dark atmosphere and tone in the first movie

Cameron took Ridley's vision and up the ante. Like he always said he saw his version as vietnam in outerspace..

I think there characters are better written and the story more fully developed in the second film even if Hudson's paranoia: "Are you crazy??..With those things running out there??..You can count me out!!" is almost laughable

I think Cameron was at his directing peak. There are so many great scenes.

Among my favoruite being the second time they go in and they get attacked slowly while Gorman,Ripley,Newt and Burke see all of this in the van through the helmet cams. The chaos that ensues and the helpness these bad ass marines face even with all their high powered "let's rock" weaponery is no match for the bugs. They way it was shot all grainy and herky jerky style and Horner's music was just brilliant

Last edited by shanester; 08-13-04 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-13-04, 12:32 PM

It's not even a contest, Aliens (and I'm a fan of the first, both are in my top 20 movies of all time).
Old 08-13-04, 09:11 PM

Alien was great,but i liked aliens much better,it absolutley floored me when i saw it at the theatre when it came out,had never seen anything like that in my life
Old 08-13-04, 10:53 PM

I saw Alien in the Theater way back when and it still rocks today!!!

Bruce
Old 08-14-04, 10:20 AM
SeeNo Member

Alien got my vote.
Old 08-14-04, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by shanester

I would have to go with "Aliens" It's one of those movies that gets quoted as often as the Godfather (proof is read the posts)
Like this one?

Ripley: When we throw the switches, how long before the ship blows?

Parker: Ten minutes.

Ripley: No bullshit?

Parker: We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.
--

Ripley: Micro changes in air density, my ass.
--

Ripley: Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about 6 weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up. This is Ripley, last survivor of The Nostromo. Signing off.
Old 08-14-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I love both movies, but my vote goes to Alien.
Old 08-15-04, 06:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I really don't see where the two can be directly compared. Sure they are about the same "topic" but the genres are different and therefore which one I'll watch/like at any particular moment depends upon what mood I'm in. Heck I even still like to watch Alien3 occasionally

Regarding EH, I like the first 1/2 of the movie but thought it started to fall apart towards the end.
Old 08-15-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aliens by far. Game over, man.
Old 08-15-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"We're on an express elevator to hell! Goin' DOWN!"

My vote for Aliens also. Paxton's performance was just too funny

While I do enjoy both, Alien is mostly story and suspense, while Aliens is all out kick ass action.
Old 08-15-04, 07:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I couldn't vote. Each is an example of the best of the genre. Even after seeing Aliens in 70mm I still can't put it past Alien.

Now, if you're comparing the director's cuts, the DC of Aliens is far superior to the DC of Alien. But the theatrical cut of Alien is equally good to either cut of Aliens.

If Aliens is deficient in any way, it's that the mystique of the aliens is lost in the action. There's no more wondering what the deal is with the Space Jockey or the alien ship or any of that. But it more than makes up for that with the introduction of the alien queen.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-16-04 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-16-04, 02:35 AM

Aliens all the way.Ripley was the HERO on that one,still love to watch the scene where she drives the Military vehiecle to save the Marines.
Old 08-16-04, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Alien - 9
Aliens - 8
Alien 3 - 8
Alien Resurrection - 5 (8 up until the third act)
AvP - 6

Predator - 10
Predator 2 - 6

Event Horizon - 7.5
Old 08-16-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh I have to lodge my vote with Aliens. This has been one of my favorite movies since i was a young. Not only does it raise the ante on what Alien was (which is a great movie nonetheless) but Aliens also sports the more interesting character arc imo for Ripley. She was great in the first one, but Sigourney's role in the second was also improved and given amazing amounts of depth that, along with the kick ass action and the faithful atmosphere to the first film, make for one amazing movie. and that Queen! Queen vs. Power Loader. Just...awesome.
Old 08-16-04, 02:34 PM
Suspended

I love Alien but Aliens is better, but I'm more of an action movie kinda guy. Alien just isn't scarey to me, sure there are tense moments, but in Alien you can tell it's just a guy in a suit, or at least I can tell anyway. In Aliens they did a much better job making them alieny. And personally, I'd take Hudson over Hicks anyday.
Old 08-16-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aliens - 10
Alien - 10
Alien 3 (Directors Cut) - 8
Alien 3 (Theater Version) - 6
AvP - 6
Alien Resurrection - 5

Predator - 10
Predator 2 - 8

Event Horizon - Jack Shit, There's only 2 parts in this movie that i like. One of them is the end credits.
Old 08-16-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer Aliens. Much more exciting than Alien.

I actually found Alien boring and unorigonal. Just some horror movie on a spaceship to me. Maybe I would view it differently if I saw it closer to when it came out (first saw it 5 years ago). Of course I saw tons of other horror movies before I saw Alien so pretty much Alien was a bunch of cliches to me.
Old 08-17-04, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Even after seeing Aliens in 70mm I still can't put it past Alien.

I'd shave my legs just to see that!
Old 08-17-04, 02:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by scroll2b

I'd shave my legs just to see that!
Luckily I didn't have to, but I would have! One of the greatest things I've ever seen. And that 6-track sound...I was in heaven.
Old 08-17-04, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aliens.
Old 02-02-16, 10:44 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Alien or Aliens?

12 year bump... :-)

I had the day off yesterday and ended up watching both Alien and Aliens, which then prompted me to seek out a thread comparing the two. While they are both great movies, and very different from each other, I enjoyed Alien more. As others have said, Paxton is just too over-the-top, while Alien didn't have any characters that grated on me like that.

Against my better judgement, I also plan to watch Alien 3 and Resurrection this week to finish them out (no AVP though). I may add Prometheus to the mix, but I don't own that one so it will depend on if I can find it free on-demand somewhere.
Old 02-02-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Yaphet Kotto, John Hurt & Harry Dean Stanton get my vote.
Old 02-02-16, 10:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Aliens was a top notch thrill ride, but Alien set a new high for sci-fi. I love them both, but for different reasons. Alien was the first movie to genuinely scare me, although Aliens had its "oh shit" moments.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.