Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Maria Full of Grace

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Maria Full of Grace

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maria Full of Grace

Wow!

This movie sure as hell was worth the wait from Sundance.

A heartbreaking drama with a terrific performance by Catalina Moreno as Maria.

An outstanding film about the true nature of drug smuggling.

4 stars

Last edited by Frank TJ Mackey; 08-10-04 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-11-04, 09:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Catalina Moreno's performance is top notch.

I also liked the fact that the progression of the story really is captivating and fascinting to see unfold.

highly recommended.
Old 08-11-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great movie. Just saw it last Sunday.

The story really keeps you entranced with all of the suspense and although a little graphic, it was good that they showed all sides of being a mule.

Spoiler:
I totally didn't think about what the hand is holding in the movie poster until after the movie. Good poster
Old 08-11-04, 12:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

saw this on opening night in santa monica, ca. ultimately i was disappointed with
Spoiler:
the ending. maria's choice to abandon her family in colombia, whom she has placed in jeopardy from drug smugglers, is a character defining moment, but it is not portrayed for the selfish, cold-hearted and soulless act that it is. rather, the moment suggests a disharmony, that the individual should be celebrated above community -- not exactly congruent with the spiritual dimension of the ending.
other than that, the performances were very truthful.
Old 08-18-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The girl will get a nomination at Indie Spirit awards or something at least.

She's on Craig Kilborn this Friday (Aug. 20) for anyone who would like to see her or hear her speak Anglais.
Old 12-24-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
What an amazing movie. I had meant to see it months ago, but forgot about it until I came across it at the video store.

At the very least, Moreno should be nominated for Best Actress. I would have no problem if she took the award home. Excellent performance.

This is definitely one of the top ten, possibly top five, movies I have had the pleasure of seeing this year.
Old 12-24-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cygnet74
saw this on opening night in santa monica, ca. ultimately i was disappointed with
Spoiler:
the ending. maria's choice to abandon her family in colombia, whom she has placed in jeopardy from drug smugglers, is a character defining moment, but it is not portrayed for the selfish, cold-hearted and soulless act that it is. rather, the moment suggests a disharmony, that the individual should be celebrated above community -- not exactly congruent with the spiritual dimension of the ending.
Hmmm, I saw this differently. Either path she chose was difficult, but you saw in the beginning of the movie how little her future offered her at home.
Old 12-24-04, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by cygnet74
Spoiler:
I think you missed a few parts.
Spoiler:
While Maria did put her family in great jepordy, she did it when she left the hotel. When she gives the stuff back to the dealers, they clearly say that they had not contacted the guy back in Columbia yet. They give Maria and her friend the money and warn them to not let it happen again. So her family is just as safe as if she had done everything by the book and returned. Also, one of the key reasons for staying, as said by the other women, is that you are able to make much more money here and send it back home to help your family. That was the reason the one lady was doing it and I would be sure Maria would do the same.

That said, I have read the director talk about how Maria is a character who is not a perfect syphtheic character and the contrast is a big part of the film.
Old 02-18-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Agree with previous post. Watched this last night and while it was good, I would never watch it again which only gives it 2/5 stars for me. I guess the hype of this being a great movie may have had me expecting more. The final 15 minutes seemed rushed to me. One problem for me was I knew the movie was almost over in length and there was still a lot to be resolved.
Spoiler:
Then boom, one quick phone call and all is resolved. Would the drug dealers really let them off so easily let alone give them their money? I doubt it but ok.
Old 02-18-05, 10:36 AM

It's a near perfect film.
Old 02-18-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this on DVD recently myself and liked it a lot, but found some aspects poorly handled. For example:

Spoiler:
When she was questioned by customs at the airport, they appeared to have very strong suspicions about Maria carrying drugs. But they let her go so quick and easily when they found out she was in the early stages of pregnancy

I also thought the film gave too much screentime to the early aspects of the plot.
Old 02-18-05, 08:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
you must have a low scale for perfection. while this movie was good, it was no where near perfection or as good as the hype would suggest.
Old 02-18-05, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
you must have a low scale for perfection. while this movie was good, it was no where near perfection or as good as the hype would suggest.
totally agree. not because i had problems with film, but because perfection is not a worthy ideal for cinema. i would suggest, transcendence, instead. the most a film can be is more than the sum of its parts. This film feigned a transcendental moment at the end that didn't ring true for me. IMHO.
Old 02-18-05, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
And that's why nobody listens to you.

MARIA is a sharply made film, written with humanity, shot cleanly and efficiently, and features a plot not many films would touch without a healthy dose of melodrama. It doesn't reach outside of its grasp, which is more than I can say for most films of 2004.

I loved it.

Old 02-18-05, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
totally agree. not because i had problems with film, but because perfection is not a worthy ideal for cinema. i would suggest, transcendence, instead. the most a film can be is more than the sum of its parts. This film feigned a transcendental moment at the end that didn't ring true for me. IMHO.

Not "perfection" in the literal sense. It's called "hyperbole," man. This isn't the New Yorker message board!

Geeze...
Old 02-18-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

MARIA is a sharply made film, written with humanity, shot cleanly and efficiently, and features a plot not many films would touch without a healthy dose of melodrama. It doesn't reach outside of its grasp, which is more than I can say for most films of 2004.

I loved it.

on all counts! (particularly the first one )

I loved this movie...and immediately wanted to rewatch it. It's on my to-buy list after the rental - just waiting for a pvd copy to show up....
Old 02-18-05, 11:17 PM

Not "perfection" in the literal sense. It's called "hyperbole," man. This isn't the New Yorker message board!

Geeze...
oh man, sorry to offend your delicate sensabilities! I was just throwing my own thoughts into the mix. chill.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 02-18-05 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-19-05, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
oh man, sorry to offend your delicate sensabilities! I was just throwing my own thoughts into the mix. chill.

You agreed with a personal attack against me. What did you expect me to do? You needed explanation.
Old 02-20-05, 01:14 AM

I respect your opinion but would like to know why you thought it was so good. I thought it was slow myself.

Problems included
Spoiler:
Boyfriend wouldn't climb up the building in the start of the movie to get laid? Really? Just a puss then or what? I'd walk over hot coals to bone her.

Do they really urine test everyone before they do an x-ray on that they think has drugs in their stomach? Would they really let her go b/c she was pregnant even though it was obvious that she was lying?

Did I miss something or were they all supposed to go their separate ways off the plane but instead the dealers grab them right outside the airport?

Do cabbies really take non-english speaking people where they want to go for very little money even though they can't understand a word each other is saying?

Would someone really take 2 people into their small apartment even though their stories don't add up?

Would the drug dealers really take the drugs and give them their money even though they ran out on them and they were searching for them for a couple days?

Was it a really a perfect film if all it took was one phone call at the end of the movie to nicely wrap things up with everyone living happily ever after?

The movie was just too slow for me and ended just a little too quickly. OK movie but it had no replay value for me.
Old 02-20-05, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ketamine
I respect your opinion but would like to know why you thought it was so good. I thought it was slow myself.

Problems included
Spoiler:
Boyfriend wouldn't climb up the building in the start of the movie to get laid? Really? Just a puss then or what? I'd walk over hot coals to bone her.

Do they really urine test everyone before they do an x-ray on that they think has drugs in their stomach? Would they really let her go b/c she was pregnant even though it was obvious that she was lying?

Did I miss something or were they all supposed to go their separate ways off the plane but instead the dealers grab them right outside the airport?

Do cabbies really take non-english speaking people where they want to go for very little money even though they can't understand a word each other is saying?

Would someone really take 2 people into their small apartment even though their stories don't add up?

Would the drug dealers really take the drugs and give them their money even though they ran out on them and they were searching for them for a couple days?

Was it a really a perfect film if all it took was one phone call at the end of the movie to nicely wrap things up with everyone living happily ever after?

The movie was just too slow for me and ended just a little too quickly. OK movie but it had no replay value for me.

Aren't most of your examples nitpicks? I don't do much nitpicking with movies, and I can't respect the practice, but there are many members here who love to do that.

Sorry the film didn't ring your bells.
Old 02-20-05, 12:29 PM

Aren't most of your examples nitpicks? I don't do much nitpicking with movies, and I can't respect the practice, but there are many members here who love to do that.

Sorry the film didn't ring your bells.
Actually, I think a lot of my points were major plot issues, not nitpicks.
Old 02-20-05, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ketamine
Actually, I think a lot of my points were major plot issues, not nitpicks.

um, sure.

Had they fixed this...

Spoiler:

...I'm sure the film would be much better.

Old 02-20-05, 04:25 PM

um, sure.

Had they fixed this...

Spoiler:

...I'm sure the film would be much better.

I didn't say all were major plot points as the one you picked wasn't. Most of the others were. How about #2, 6, and 7 that I listed as being pretty major. You think they are nitpicks?

Last edited by Ketamine; 02-20-05 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-20-05, 04:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I loved it.

ok so you're opinion is noted, i didn't take an uncalled for jab at you, but your pettiness and impish behavior seemed to think so...probably why your scale is so low or you don't see many good films to compare this to. and from what i've read in your other threads you get some lashing and perhaps this was just a response to that...so thanks.

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-20-05 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-20-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen this film and really liked it, definately worth a rental. I loaned it to a Columbian friend of mine, he also really liked it and commented on the use of slang throughout the movie (as in people were talking as they really would talk in casual situations).

And before tonight, when I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I thought Catalina Moreno would have a good shot at Best Actress. But honestly, Kate Winslet's performance in Eternal Sunshine was topnotch, I'll be suprised if she doesn't win best actress. Not to 'diss Catalina Moreno, I hope to see her in more movies, she did have a great performance, and again, I recommend that everybody see this movie (Maria Full of Grace).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.