Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What was Mark Hammil expecting to get?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From that article Mark Hammil said that George Lucas ruined his career for not having him in his future movies. Well what did he expect to be an extra in Indiana Jones? He should be happy he played Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars trilogy.
Old 08-09-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, Duff. This is old and bogus "news."
Old 08-09-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear lucas makes him pay for replacement sabers
Old 08-09-04, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Were you trying to respond to this thread?
Old 08-09-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark Hamill already bunked this article himself. He stated in a blurb on TF.N that the newspaper that wrote that piece fabricated the whole thing. He had declined to do an interview with the same newspaper is the past.

Hamill knows Lucas made his career. Unfortunately, he got so identified with the role of Luke Skywalker, that he couldn't get much work in high profile films.
Old 08-09-04, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Terrell
Unfortunately, he got so identified with the role of Luke Skywalker, that he couldn't get much work in high profile films.
Yeah. That and the fact that he gave one of the worst "acting" performances in the history of the cinema.

Come to think of it, it was probably more to do with his lack of ability to act than anything else.
Old 08-09-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While people might think Harrison Ford got the best deal, its not. Warrwick Davis (Wicket the Ewok) has done the most work with Lucas after Jedi. He had the 2 Ewok movies, Willow, & the Star Wars Prequels that I know of.
Old 08-09-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by resinrats
While people might think Harrison Ford got the best deal, its not. Warrwick Davis (Wicket the Ewok) has done the most work with Lucas after Jedi. He had the 2 Ewok movies, Willow, & the Star Wars Prequels that I know of.
He also played a Goblin in Labyrinth, but it's hard to tell under all that makeup.

Starring in your own blockbuster trilogy is not quite the same as starring in one semi-blockbuster and being an extra in heavy makeup in a few others.
Old 08-09-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
If the guy was so peeved at his career being "ruined", why would he have agreed to parody himself in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back? Shows him to be a pretty good sport, in my book.
Old 08-09-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by The_Infidel
If the guy was so peeved at his career being "ruined", why would he have agreed to parody himself in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back? Shows him to be a pretty good sport, in my book.
Also his guest spot on the Simpsons had tons of Skywalker references in it. If he truely hated Luke, he wouldn't have done it.
Old 08-09-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by resinrats
So Harrison Ford makes 20 million a picture and Warrwick Davis got to be in "The Battle for Endor"? Who got the better deal?
Old 08-09-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ford obviously got the best deal.
Old 08-09-04, 02:16 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish Carrie fisher got more roles, I guess she was type cast as well.
Old 08-09-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
I wish Carrie fisher got more roles, I guess she was type cast as well.
Have you even looked up Carrie Fisher's repertoire? She's done tons of stuff outside the role of Princess Leia. She hasn't had quite the stellar career that Harrison Ford has, but at least she hasn't done the kind of roles that keep harkening back to Star Wars, like Mark Hamill has had to do. I don't think she was type-cast at all.
Old 08-09-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

She also was a drug addict for a number of years, so that may have affected how much work she was getting.
Old 08-09-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its pathetic when a little green puppet can act better than you. Mark Hamill needs to go away.
Old 08-09-04, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kcbrett5
Yeah. That and the fact that he gave one of the worst "acting" performances in the history of the cinema.

Come to think of it, it was probably more to do with his lack of ability to act than anything else.
You're knocking da Cock Knocker! Ack!
Old 08-09-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Harrison Ford = hot hunk

Mark Hammil = not hot. Even not hot guys can be stars if they are great actors (Tommy Lee Jones, in example) but he sucked AND was ugly.
End of story.
Old 08-09-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by kcbrett5

Yeah but I would assume that after Star Wars, the name Mark Hamill would bring in cash to most other movies. Regardless of his poor acting he would bring studios money because people would know (and like) Hamill from Star Wars. But then again I wasn't around back in the OT days so I wouldn't know how people felt about Hamill after Star Wars was made.
Old 08-09-04, 06:33 PM

mmmm.... Slipstream and Wing Commander...
Old 08-09-04, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Goat3001
Yeah but I would assume that after Star Wars, the name Mark Hamill would bring in cash to most other movies. Regardless of his poor acting he would bring studios money because people would know (and like) Hamill from Star Wars. But then again I wasn't around back in the OT days so I wouldn't know how people felt about Hamill after Star Wars was made.
You know though, when you're associated with such a high profile role, it often times works to your detriment so that people only associate you with that specific role. If anyone could be labeled in that category, it's Mark Hamill. As mentioned, he wasn't a particularly great actor, but he was Luke Skywalker, as famous a role as possible.

This effect can be seen on somewhat similar scales with other actors. Chirstopher Reeve as Superman, William Shatner as Captain Kirk. They never really saw major success outside of those specific roles, and I imagine largely because people couldn't associate them outside of those roles. But Luke had it bad even worse.
Old 08-10-04, 12:22 AM

That and the fact that he gave one of the worst "acting" performances in the history of the cinema.
Sigh, hyperbole. Get out and see some truly bad performances in truly bad movies. If you think Mark Hamill gave the worst performances in the history of cinema, you must be 17 years old and have only seen 25 films in your life. That statement is almost as ridiculous as saying Episode I is the worst movie of all time. I don't agree at all that his performance was bad. I wouldn't call them great by any means, nor would I even call them very good. I would call them solid enough that he never took me out of the film. If the lead actor was a terrible as you say, Star Wars would have never gotten the great reviews it did. It would have never gotten Oscar noms for Best Picture. No film will get great critical receptions of the lead actor gave one of the worst performances in cinema history. But that's hyperbole for you.

As mentioned, he wasn't a particularly great actor
No, nobody would argue that he was. But I thought he was rather convincing in ESB and ROTJ. Star Wars was his weakest, but he never even took me out of that film either. Shit, I think is a worse actor. You want to talk about shit acting, look at this guy. He's basically stealing money. He truly was awful in Troy and not all that good in LOTR or Pirates of the Carribeans. No, I'm not about to engage in stupid hyperbole and call him the worst ever, but he's not good at all.

Call me crazy if you want.

Last edited by Terrell; 08-10-04 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-10-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems to me that after a huge role that makes you known as an actor, you'd better be in another movie right after that's pretty good if you don't want to get type cast, like Harrison Ford managed to grab the Indiana Jones trilogy and was set for life.
Old 08-10-04, 12:55 AM

like Harrison Ford managed to grab the Indiana Jones trilogy and was set for life.
Yep, that was what really made him a star. It makes you think, where would Ford be if Tom Selleck had landed the role as originally intended.
Old 08-10-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know I've always liked Mark Hammil in the Star Wars movies and other things like 'Corvette Summer'. He has this earnest quality I really like. It helps that I indentify with Luke Skywalker(even though I want to be Han Solo when I grow up)

I think Mark Hammil just got a few unlucky breaks and in those days(70's and early 80's) it was very easy for your career to get derailed unlike today with online petitions and tv work for the lamest of actors. How many times have you seen a god awful actor of today be in like 4 or 5 failed pilots and still get work and maybe a movie? They must have kick ass agents.

It also doesn't help that he got into a serious car accident and had to have major surgery and he never looked the same. That's a big part of it as well.

I like Harrison Ford(who doesn't?) but whenever I see him nowadays I start cracking up because I realize how god awful his acting is. It works in all his roles for some strange reason. He does have a charm about him. But he always acts like a weirdo. A strange uncomfortable weirdo.

Anyway I like both Hammil and Ford. I appreciate what they accomplished with the Star Wars trilogy and other works. I do wish Mark Hammil could have been in work that really showed his natural ability and be an extension of Star Wars and not just typecasted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.