Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question for all you in the Chicagoland area.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-04, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading back home to Schaumburg on vacation soon and I haven't been there in quite a few years. What is the newest, greatest theater in the area? I've been spending time living in Reno, NV and our theateres all suck big time. So whenever I'm in a real society I like to catch a film. Thanks.
Old 08-05-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Wheaton.

The Cinemark at Seven Bridges in Lisle is probably the best theater around my house but pretty far down 355 for you. 30 screens, full sized IMAX theater, good prices, not over crowded, clean etc. It's a terrific place.

AMC Cantera 30 is equally big and good but even further (Warrenville). The ROTK I saw there kicked ass.

Marcus Addison on Lake Street is closer to Schaumburg and pretty good but I've had two bad showings there. It's also got an IMAX.

I think there's a huge AMC 30 in South Barrington (probably the same layout as Cantera). That should be pretty close for you, right out 90.

One tip: avoid the theaters around Woodfield: they're way too crowded and not very good.

Last edited by Hiro11; 08-05-04 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-05-04, 02:20 PM

There's a big AMC in Barrington or Barrington Hills. You can see it off of 90. I think its 30 screens or something like that.
Old 08-05-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AMC 30 in Barrington is top notch. Big comfortable theaters and as clean as you can expect of a multiplex. Like Hiro said it's right off of 90, easy access. And they do feature some non-mainstream features.

The Streets of Woodfield are fine for matinees but it does get really crowded after that. They usually have some constant digital presentation going on.

If you want to venture into Chicago the Landmark Century Centre on Clark and Diversey is tops for comfort. They have the more "mainstream" art house hits and parking is only $5.

But the best theater in Chicago is the Gene Siskel Film Center. Comfortable seats and top-notch presentation. They have the most varied programs from popular retrospectives to local products to films with VERY limited distribution. They'll even serve you a beer and pipe the audio from the big theater into the bathrooms so you don't miss too much.
Old 08-05-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty much what sundog said.

AMC 30 in Barrington is the best multiplex in the area. They, along with Marcus Theatres in Addison (which also contains an IMAX screen), play some shows that don't usually hit most other theatres. Typically an art film will open in the city a week or two before it moves to the suburbs.

Streets of Woodfield gets pretty crowded on Friday and Saturday nights, but it isn't bad otherwise.

If you're looking for a "bargain" first-run theater, there is one in Elk Grove with something like seven screens that I think charges like five dollars a ticket. Not bad, but it isn't stadium seating and the seats are also pretty uncomfortable.

As far as Chicago itself goes, let me throw a thumbs up to the AMC 21 in Chicago, as long as I'm at it. Probably the most comfortable theater I've been in. They stick to mainstream stuff, but once in a while they'll share an exclusive engagement.

Last edited by Corvin; 08-05-04 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-05-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AMC Barrington, definitely the nicest. Streets of Woodfield isn't bad if you don't mind the swarm of teenagers on the weekends.
Old 08-05-04, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Corvin
As far as Chicago itself goes, let me throw a thumbs up to the AMC 21 in Chicago, as long as I'm at it. Probably the most comfortable theater I've been in. They stick to mainstream stuff, but once in a while they'll share an exclusive engagement.
Is that the same as the AMC River East? If not, let me add a recommendation for River East.

I also like the Crown Theater in Skokie.
Old 08-05-04, 04:44 PM
Banned

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info.
Old 08-05-04, 04:48 PM
Banned

I know it gets crowded, but how is the Lowes, Streets of Woodfield? It's the closest that has DLP.
Old 08-05-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts
I'd like to add another vote for AMC 21 River East. It's comfortable and rather new plus, I think they have the best popcorn of any theater I've ever been to.
Old 08-05-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live in Chicago, but will travel all the way out to the AMC 30 Barrington to see a movie. (@ Barrington Road exit off of 90)

Streets of Woodfield scares me just to be in the parking lot at night.
Old 08-05-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JasonF
Is that the same as the AMC River East? If not, let me add a recommendation for River East.
Yeah, that's the one. River East. My bad. But yeah, love the seats. When I'm at school, this is my favorite theater to catch the new flicks at (although 600 N. Michigan recently renevated, and although the seating isn't stadium, it's still pretty nice).

Originally posted by Green Jello
I know it gets crowded, but how is the Lowes, Streets of Woodfield? It's the closest that has DLP.
Again, on the weekdays I think it's a good place to catch a flick. You have stadium seating and decent chairs. Personally, though, I don't like to go when I know it's going to be crowded (Friday/Saturday night) for a couple reasons. First, the seats recline quite a bit. While that may seem like a good thing, it pretty much means that you're going to have someone's seat hitting your knees. The audience is also a much younger crowd that may not have gone to the Streets just to see a movie since it is a popular teen hangout. Altogether, this usually makes for a rowdier crowd.

And as a previous poster once said, the car situation can get ridiculous. Some people go there just to make loops around the complex. I went to high school in the NW suburbs, and my friends and I all got a kick out of getting something to drink at Starbucks because you could see the idiots just drive in circles trying to impress others for forty minute straight.

Finally, the DLP theater really irks me. I really don't understand why you'd be interested in that---you can literally see pixels on the screen. Not nearly as fine as. . .film.

Anyway, if you're in Schaumburg and are going to see a flick on its opening night, just jump on the tollway. In ten minutes you'll be at the AMC 30. I think you'll enjoy the experience more.
Old 08-06-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm coming to CHicago to go to the music box to see playtime over the weekend of the 28-31. ANything else I have to check out in CHicago. I'll be staying on OHIO St.
Old 08-06-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Might want to check out the Gene Siskel Film Center schedule.
Old 08-06-04, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Corvin
Finally, the DLP theater really irks me. I really don't understand why you'd be interested in that---you can literally see pixels on the screen. Not nearly as fine as. . .film.
Well, this isn't the thread for that discussion, but I think you're nuts. Thanks for the info though.