Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fletch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Fletch question

I've seen Fletch many times over the years, but only on TV and video. And it's been a while since my last viewing. I caught an airing of it on TCM last night and noticed a line was missing. In the scene where Fletch is on the plane to Utah and asking questions into his tape recorder, I swear that one of the questions that he asks is, "when eating (some type of food), is three too few? Is five too many?" (or something to that effect)

That line was missing from the TCM airing (which I assume was the theatrical cut since there were unedited swears) and there is no mention of it in the "alternate versions" section of its IMDB entry.

Anybody know if the version with this line is the regular TV version? The theatrical version? The home video version? And what is the exact line?

BTW, the edited TV version has one of my favorite swear edits ever when Tim Matheson calls Fletch "owl face."
Old 08-05-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just watched my Fletch dvd yesterday. I didn't hear the line in question anywhere in the movie. It sounds like it may be from one of The Naked Gun movies.
Old 08-05-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love both Fletch and Fletch Lives and have seen both dozens of times. I do remember the line you are talking about. However, I can't remember the exact line either. Now its gonna be bugging me the rest of the day!
I've never seen the dvd version.
Old 08-05-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie script is listed online at several sites. I took a look at it, but they don't have that line listed in it. Instead they have it as this line:

He takes a spoonful of airline food, chewing meditatively.
FLETCH
(continuing)
Biggest Question: Why do I eat this sh*t?
(to passing stewardess)
Miss, I believe this has already been eaten.

I don't remember that line being in any of the versions I've ever seen, so it sounds like they changed it from the official transcript. Was that line in the one you just saw?
Old 08-05-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's from Fletch Lives:
When it comes to stewed prunes, are three enough and are four too many?
Old 08-06-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Obey The D
It's from Fletch Lives:
When it comes to stewed prunes, are three enough and are four too many?
That's it! Thanks for finding it. I could've sworn it was in the first one, but guess I was wrong.
Old 08-06-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DJLinus
That's it! Thanks for finding it. I could've sworn it was in the first one, but guess I was wrong.
No problem. I googled "are three enough", "four to many" and got lucky.