Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw "Army of Darkness" for the 1st time thread!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-04, 06:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

What a fun movie. I haven't seen the "Evil Dead" movies in 10 or 15 years and even then probably never saw it all, though I have the DVD's, I just haven't got around to watching.
So I caught 'AoD' on SciFi and thought it was really fun. Bruce Campbell at his best (especially the little homage that preludes "Bubba Ho-tep" with the very last line of the film). I know part 1 is supposed to be more horror and 2 more farce and this one must fall along the parody lines of 2 which I knew as I have seen some scenes, but never really caught the whole thing.
I think after watching I have a newfound respect for the quirky and unusual; as well as, some bad effects and bad acting (though purposefully). Way to go Sam Raimi for going at it with light heartedness and levity even though I know him and BC were not too keen on making this one. So not bad, not bad at all and really a nice surprise after the Yankee game.

What are some of others thoughts...
Old 07-31-04, 06:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Which version did you see? The theatrical release or the director's cut?

Spoiler:
Did the ending have him back in modern times, kicking zombie butt?
Old 07-31-04, 07:04 PM

yes! which one is that? is that the good one or the bad one? i really liked that ending.
Old 07-31-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The original ending has him falling asleep in a cave and waking up too far into the future than he intended with a really long beard and stuff. The original ending would've lead up to a better sequel than the one they put in theaters.
Old 07-31-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a comic book that was released last week. It continues where army of darkness theater cut ending left off. Only Ash came back into the present a bit earlier and now is able to go try to stop the evil/save linda by going to the cabin.. where the present day ash is at right now..

interesting concept.
Old 07-31-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never really liked the sleepy ending.
Old 07-31-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
There is a comic book that was released last week. It continues where army of darkness theater cut ending left off. Only Ash came back into the present a bit earlier and now is able to go try to stop the evil/save linda by going to the cabin.. where the present day ash is at right now..

interesting concept.
I read the first issue, and although I liked the artwork I wasn't too impressed with it overall. I'll probably read the rest of it just because I'm a fan of AoD and that's probably about as close to a sequel as we'll ever get, but I hope it gets better.
Old 07-31-04, 11:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll have to pick the comic up. I prefer the Director's Cut in every way except the theatrical has the line "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Old 08-01-04, 09:53 AM

so which one did i see with the
Spoiler:
S-mart ending fighting the zombie granny
? what version is the one to get on DVD as i am now thinking of completing the trilogy. thanks!
Old 08-01-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Scott, you watched the theatrical cut THREAD! I think it's still a very good ending THREAD! When the choices between the two endings are THREAD:

Spoiler:
Kicking zombie ass in the S-mart THREAD!

or
Spoiler:
Post-apocalyptic universe downer ending THREAD!

... I don't think you can go wrong. THREAD!

I'd go with the MGM region 3 director's cut DVD THREAD! It's the most complete and best looking version THREAD!
If I needed the theatrical cut, I'd get an Anchor Bay release THREAD!

Think it's stupid to have "THREAD!" at the end of all my sentences THREAD? Well, imagine how I feel when I have to read your thread titles THREAD...
Old 08-01-04, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Scott, you watched the theatrical cut THREAD! I think it's still a very good ending THREAD! When the choices between the two endings are THREAD:

Spoiler:
Kicking zombie ass in the S-mart THREAD!

or
Spoiler:
Post-apocalyptic universe downer ending THREAD!

... I don't think you can go wrong. THREAD!

I'd go with the MGM region 3 director's cut DVD THREAD! It's the most complete and best looking version THREAD!
If I needed the theatrical cut, I'd get an Anchor Bay release THREAD!

Think it's stupid to have "THREAD!" at the end of all my sentences THREAD? Well, imagine how I feel when I have to read your thread titles THREAD...
thanks for the info and deal with it!! it's my thing and i am sticking to it. it's just one word in one title to denote from all others who post. i like originality and i don't do it simply to piss anyone off. if it does you then you need to get some guidance because it really is miniscule in this crazy mixed up place we call a world! it's for fun and nothing more. thanks again for help on versions.

also, does the OOP R1 with the same muscular cover as the MGM R3 have the infamous cut scene with Sheila and evil Ash?

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-01-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-01-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by scott1598
also, does the OOP R1 with the same muscular cover as the MGM R3 have the infamous cut scene with Sheila and evil Ash?
No, the OOP R1 disc is the same as the in-print Director's Cut and neither of them has the scene. Besides maybe the Japanese laserdisc, I think only the R3 DVD has it. If you're hoping for some skin though, you'll probably be disapointed.
Old 08-01-04, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
No, the OOP R1 disc is the same as the in-print Director's Cut and neither of them has the scene. Besides maybe the Japanese laserdisc, I think only the R3 DVD has it. If you're hoping for some skin though, you'll probably be disapointed.
nah..i'm not like that, i just like to have the most complete version that i can. it's the completist in me which is why i will most likely opt for the R3 (which is cheap) and the R1 Boomstick for the TE.
Old 08-01-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by scott1598
it's just one word in one title to denote from all others who post. i like originality
You are a not a unique snow flake.

or

The squeeky wheel is the first one to be changed.

Next you'll be signing your post

With the many many versions out there of army of darkness it shouldn't be tough to find both the theater and the directors cut on the shelves in print and dirt cheap. Boom stick edition for example will do you right. One question.. have you ever watched Evil dead and Evil Dead II?

-Jackskeleton

P.S. if you do not see the logical flaw in putting THREAD at the end of your titles you may not get why it's logically pointless to sign your threads. Here's a clue, we already know who wrote the post, your user handle is right on the side just like we already know it's a thread. No need to point it out to us.
Old 08-01-04, 12:52 PM

You are a not a unique snow flake.

or

The squeeky wheel is the first one to be changed.

Next you'll be signing your post

With the many many versions out there of army of darkness it shouldn't be tough to find both the theater and the directors cut on the shelves in print and dirt cheap. Boom stick edition for example will do you right. One question.. have you ever watched Evil dead and Evil Dead II?

-Jackskeleton

P.S. if you do not see the logical flaw in putting THREAD at the end of your titles you may not get why it's logically pointless to sign your threads. Here's a clue, we already know who wrote the post, your user handle is right on the side just like we already know it's a thread. No need to point it out to us.
has absolutely NOTHING to do with logic. i don't put it in because i assume that people don't know it is a "thread" that would be so so so stupid on my part. i am not stupid, contrary to what you or donnachaone might think, and i don't assume anyone on DVD Talk to be stupid.
it is a fun thing i do, the way i title my threads, maybe just for me, maybe for someone else to get a kick out of and that is that! it certainly isn't put there for further discussion or for irritation. if it bothers anyone, than sorry, but look past it and move on.

i haven't exactly seen 1 or 2, 2 i think 15 years ago, but i know what they are about as i have seen pieces and do have both on DVD. why the question on viewing? i have seen 3 and liked it.
Old 08-01-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

i haven't exactly seen 1 or 2, 2 i think 15 years ago, but i know what they are about as i have seen pieces and do have both on DVD. why the question on viewing? i have seen 3 and liked it.
Because that's sort of like watching Return of the jedi and having very little to no knowledge of Empire strikes back and A new hope.

Seeing pieces is much different then seeing the actual movies. For the most part, Someone who proclaims themselves as having "the completist in me", I would think that you would want to see the first two in order to get a full effect on the franchise that Ash has been in. How old are you? I figured you were in the 17-20 age range considering the way you post. So if you saw Evil dead 15 years ago I cant imagine what you possibly remember from it.
Old 08-01-04, 01:12 PM

Because that's sort of like watching Return of the jedi and having very little to no knowledge of Empire strikes back and A new hope.

Seeing pieces is much different then seeing the actual movies. For the most part, Someone who proclaims themselves as having "the completist in me", I would think that you would want to see the first two in order to get a full effect on the franchise that Ash has been in. How old are you? I figured you were in the 17-20 age range considering the way you post. So if you saw Evil dead 15 years ago I cant imagine what you possibly remember from it.
considering the way i post?? what is that supposed to mean? why are you such a condescending jerk all the time and especially to me. i like to have civil conversations with you and respect some of your opinions when you post true answers to some of my posts but when you come back with crap like that i wonder if you have anyone that actually likes you in this world or if you just like to be sarcastic and put people down to feel better about a lowly existence. moving on...
Old 08-01-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You really like to have civil conversations with me? I don't see it. As for the commnet, it wasn't suppose to be taken in a condescending way. Considering the past with the silly "One and only" threads you enjoyed to re-post and the reasons you gave for doing so, that is the impression that I got from it.

As for this subject. Perhaps you missed the in the post I made above. it's suppose to be a signal of joking around. At that point you took it as a serious jab at yourself and your posting style. Whatever.

when you come back with crap like that i wonder if you have anyone that actually likes you in this world or if you just like to be sarcastic and put people down to feel better about a lowly existence. moving on...
Moving on to what? You make a personal attack like that and you just want to move on? BAW HA HA HA HA AH. seriously now. I don't care if people on some internet forum like me or not. I feel that I bring my views and plenty of inside news info to the forum in plenty other aspects that the way I treat people shouldn't come into question. There is some people on this forum that get my extreme respect. But you do realize that all of those members have earned it. The reason I may sound condescending towards you is because guess what, that is what you give me. You get what you give.. right? Can I handle this burn you obviously handed me? Sure. I can. I'm not going to go crying because of my so called lowly existance . I move on. Is my ribbing on you intentionally this bad? No. I ment no harm in the way I told you "based on your post". But since you took it that way, perhaps it's you reading to deep into it. At which point, it's on you on how you wish to take it.

Another reason why I think you are young BASED ON YOUR POST. You are bearly discovering a lot of movies which are normally standard issue for folks of an older age. Rypro gets this a lot from me also, only difference is he handles the ribbing I do to him and I do have respect for him. If I didn't I wouldn't have given him a lot of promotional material when he requested it sometime back. He starts a thread about a classic movie which is something that you would figure everyone has seen by now. In this case, you just saw Army of darkness. Now is this an elitist view? A little, but it also tells how much film experience a person may or may not have based on what films they have seen. Clearly you started a lot of threads about films that I would figure someone in that age group is just getting exposed to. As condescending as it may sound, it is just the nature of seeing you start all these threads. Does that make any sense to you? It's not just because I'm a prick who wants to talk down to you. No it's because I see the threads you start and it only leaves me with one question in mind, How old are you that you just discovering a lot of these films?

And if there is need for more justification for me to deduct that you are young to some degree is that you are quoting his new work as homage
especially the little homage that preludes "Bubba Ho-tep" with the very last line of the film
I would assume that anyone who has been exposed to enough films or a certain age would by then realize how Bruce Campbell acts. I would also figure that you may be young enough to have missed his Xena/ Jack of all trade/ Brisco County jr. days in which you will find that that is indeed his acting style. Also, I relate someone quoting new pieces of work to be a "new" fan of the series, actor, whatever. So that is why I asked about your age. Is your young age a bad thing? No. Not at all. But I will understand a bit more your new found interest in films and the latest material you have seen a whole lot more. Nothing condescending about it. Just what I got from what your post are.

I simply asked if you have seen Part 1 and Part 2 of this franchise and you get defensive about why you didn't have to. You tried coming off as an elitist who simply had to recieve the best in the version you got. I also wanted to know if you simply watched the others because the way you described it in your post, it didn't sound like it. Perhaps you will take that as another personal attack on yourself.

If I bother you in my response then perhaps you should follow your own advice
"it is a fun thing i do, the way i title my threads, maybe just for me, maybe for someone else to get a kick out of and that is that! it certainly isn't put there for further discussion or for irritation. if it bothers anyone, than sorry, but look past it and move on."
Now I'll get back to my lowly existance, Kthxbye

Mr. Internet toughguy,
-Jackskeleton

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 08-01-04 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-01-04, 01:48 PM

ok jack..i apologize if i read it wrong and i am sorry for the way i retorted..given our history i hope you can understand.

i am not that young and i will leave it at that.

yes, i have been discovering more and more movies and frankly it is simply because of this forum and nothing else. maybe call it a sheltered life. i have only been seriously collecting dvd's for one year, maybe less and when i mean collecting i mean real dvd's and not just the typical Hollywood blockbusters..not that there is anything wrong with that.
because of this newfound collecting i have discovered the horror genre...as "the Dead" series has been recently discovered among others. now, "Army" even though i had the others simply because of interest and readings (though i haven't got to watching yet)
since AOD screening yesterday..i want the full versions and have every intention to watch the complete trilogy, yes! in order to feel and experience all the horror/comedy glory all others have soaked up already and probably get more enjoyment out of it! see not so difficult to understand huh?

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-01-04 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-03-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's everybody hug and be happy THREAD!
Old 08-03-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Come on guys, Army of Darkness should bring us together not tear us apart!
Old 08-03-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't particularly like the director's cut, but perhaps that is because I only ever saw the theatrical cut of the film until the LE DVD came out. I watched the DC once and probably won't watch it again.

I saw the comic last week as well, and I am really enjoying it. For the first two pages I thought it was just a retelling of AoD and then the old man showed up. I can't wait for the next issue.
Old 08-03-04, 12:01 PM
Banned

Count me as one who prefers the original cut and ending as well. The DC is just too long for such a thin and already streched out story and the love scene was preposterous. I did like the first few moments when Ash was inside the windmill in the DC though. Other than that, OC all the way:

Ash: Lady, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the store.

Deadite: Who the hell are you?

Ash: Name's Ash.
[cocks an already loaded display- shotgun]

Ash: Housewares.

Last edited by Rivero; 08-03-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-03-04, 03:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
...Think it's stupid to have "THREAD!" at the end of all my sentences THREAD? Well, imagine how I feel when I have to read your thread titles THREAD...

Guys, crap like this is totally uncalled for. If you don't like the thread, or in this case its title, then just move on.
Old 08-03-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,197 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Ash: Lady, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the store.
I usually lean toward liking the S-Mart ending better because of the above line.

But that being said, the other ending is cool too. I remember first finding out about it when I read the original Dark Horse comics adaptation, which used that ending instead of the S-Mart one. I finally got to see it when I tracked down a video copy from the Japanese "Captain Supermarket" LD (I think that was the first place where the "apocalyptic" ending appeared). I was so happy to finally be able to see it. Now, were just spoiled with all the different cuts out there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.