Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The original Leon script and it's differences...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-23-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the original script for Leon and man, is it different. The second half is MUCH more violent. Personally, I think the way it turned out is WAY better than the ending in the original script.

Among the differences...

Spoiler:
* On the rooftop training scene, Mathilda really shoots two people, she kills a man sitting on a bench and she shoots the jogger in the leg.

* Leon and Mathilda make love.

* The hallway shootout in the apartment complex is much different. Mathilda has a hidden gun and kills a cop, then takes a cop hostage (like Leon does in the flick) and backs into the apartment. The rocket also hits before she's pushed down into the vent shaft.

* The ending...Stansfield kills Leon with the shot to the back of the head. He's dead. Mathilda sees him and walks into the hallway where Stansfield and some other officers stand, assessing the situation. She throws something to Stansfield, it's a pin from a grenade. She opens her jacket and they all explode to end the movie.
Old 07-23-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
From the content in the spoilers, it doesn't seem very believable. The way the movie came out was just fine.
Old 07-23-04, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, the filmed version is superior to the one in the spoilers.
Old 07-23-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If those are accurate, I actually would like to see that version...especially with that different ending. With the exception of course, the statutory boning.
Old 07-23-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, them kissing would be a bit TOO MUCH, I'll pass on the pedophilia.

Anyway, rest of it sounds interesting, to say the least. Not as good, but interesting. If they actually killed people in the rooftop part, that would force us to dislike them...they never kill innocent people in the final version. And I also loved the ironic comedy of the paintball.
Old 07-23-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the link to the translated copy if you want to read it yourself...
Old 07-24-04, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah that sex scene would have totally thrown the movie off. I never got the impression that he was interested in her that way. He always seemed like a father rather than a lover. Thanks for posting this though since I love that movie.
Old 07-24-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Yeah that sex scene would have totally thrown the movie off. I never got the impression that he was interested in her that way. He always seemed like a father rather than a lover. Thanks for posting this though since I love that movie.
This quote is from inside the dvd:
Portman: "I met the casting director, and he said I was too young. I didn't even read for him. He just said. 'You're too young' and he sent me away. Then two weeks later, he called me back and said they're looking for younger kids than they'd been looking at."

It would seem that they changed the age of the character during that time which would require changes in the script as Natalie Portman was only 12 at the time.
Old 07-24-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't imagine even one of those changes being allowed in an American theatrical release.