Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CATWOMAN review thread...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-04, 11:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this tonight, and yes, the rumors were true. The buzz correct. That gut feeling accurate. CATWOMAN? A campy, disrespectful nightmare of a film.

And I don't blame Halle. This disaster rests squarely on the shoulders of "Pitof," who is hell-bent on proving he's a visual maestro.

Just terrible. I can't wait to read other reactions.
Old 07-19-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
No............ sorry Scott, but this film (damn I cringe when I say that) is Halle's fault.

Funny, all I needed was the trailer for this prediction.
Old 07-19-04, 11:19 PM

See the film. This is Pitof all the way.
Old 07-19-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets see what happens....
Old 07-20-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I'll admit - while Halle's acting is horrendous in the trailers alone......................I can more than definitely see how the shame would rest on Pitof's shoulders...........but damn, Halle's gotta suck beyond belief in this film and some of the shit-shame credit has to go to her - am I too off base by saying this???
Old 07-20-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can kind of forgive Halle Berry for this if they threw a huge wad of cash at her. I mean, who among us would turn down an eight-figure paycheck for three months' work?

But a pretentious one-named French special effects dude who thinks he can direct an American action movie? Puh-leeze. That's where I'm aiming my contempt.
Old 07-20-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
But a pretentious one-named French special effects dude who thinks he can direct an American action movie? Puh-leeze. That's where I'm aiming my contempt.
You have a strong case here, and uh................well, it all goes back to that "I told you so" thinking
Old 07-20-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd aim my contempt at whoever it was that decided it was a good idea to hire a pretentious one-named French special affects dude to direct a big-budget american action movie.
Old 07-20-04, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's nice to see Halle getting all the Oscar-quality scripts after her big win.

Although, as long as I don't spend any money on the outrageously overpriced refreshments, I wouldn't mind seeing a matinee just to watch Halle and Sharon Stone on the big screen.

I might even bring a walkmen in with me.
Old 07-20-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
It's nice to see Halle getting all the Oscar-quality scripts after her big win
The problem isn't the scripts she's getting, the problem is that she wants a big paycheck. There are a lot of good scripts out there, its actors wo aren't willing to take a smaller paycheck to do them that's the problem.
Old 07-20-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll be seeing it for free, so here's hoping is one of those "So bad its good" movies.
Old 07-20-04, 09:34 AM

Yeah, I'll be seeing it with the Moviecash I got from the B:TAS DVD set, so I probably won't be too upset if I at least get to see Halle & Sharon rolling around pulling each other's hair and yelling "bitch!" at each other.

Though I would've preferred an adaptation of the Brubaker/Cooke comic.
Old 07-21-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Whatever. This movie might suck but even if it didn't you guys wouldn't "man up" and admit it....
Old 07-21-04, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Whatever. This movie might suck but even if it didn't you guys wouldn't "man up" and admit it....
Oh no, it's quite bad. I'll even wear a dress and say that if you need it.
Old 07-21-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
Oh no, it's quite bad. I'll even wear a dress and say that if you need it.

Old 07-21-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hear that? It's the sound of knife sharpening over at Rottentomatoes.com.

This is gonna be fun.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 07-21-04 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Panda Phil
Hear that? It's the sound of knife sharpening over at Rottentomatoes.com.

This is gonna be fun.
My favorite quote so far: " ... has all the feline grace of a wall-eyed mastiff."

Just picturing in my head what a wall-eyed mastiff might be like made me spit Coke all over my keyboard.
Old 07-21-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.filmjerk.com gave it an "F".
Old 07-21-04, 05:01 PM

So how much did this movie cost to make including marketing and how much did the kitty cat get?

You know it's not too much that I'm against a big budget cat woman movie, it's because they made this movie before a zillion other comic book possibilities!
Old 07-21-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"One is tempted to say that ritual disembowelment is too good for those who have perpetrated this abomination on the comic book-loving movie-going public. But that would be hyperbole, if only barely."

That's a quote from internet critic James Berardinelli's one star review. Ouch would be an understatement.
Old 07-21-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think all us fans hungry for a good Superman film should thank the makers of Catwoman.

just coincidence that a week before this film opens, the Warner brass take a radical shift with the creative talent in that project...?
Old 07-22-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are actually having midnight showings for this tonight...

"Yeah, and it'll be out of the theatres by breakfast." - Artie Lang

*zing!*
Old 07-22-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From the NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-184663c.html

Headlined Bad Kitty!, it starts with:

Halle Berry needs to take out her Oscar every morning - the 2002 Best Actress Oscar she lauded as a breakthrough for women of color - and swear to it that she will not accept any more demeaning, stupid roles.

Unfortunately, it's too late to do anything about "Catwoman," which litters the nation's screens beginning at midnight tonight.

From the NY TIMES:

"Catwoman" which opens tomorrow nationwide achieves something I would not have thought possible. It made me think back fondly on "Garfield".

Last edited by marty888; 07-22-04 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-22-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From the New York Post

KITTY LITTER
July 22, 2004 -- Apurr-fectly ridiculous and boring cat-astrophe, “Catwoman” more than lives up to the lethal advance buzz and — even with Halle Berry cavorting like a third-rate dominatrix — is about as sexy as a hairball. The credits claim this $90 million bomb is “based on characters created by Bob Kane,” but this version bears virtually no resemblance to the feline comic-book villain so memorably played by Michelle Pfeiffer in Tim Burton’s infinitely more entertaining “Batman Returns,” much less Catwoman’s TV incarnations by Eartha Kitt and Julie Newmar. Given the feeble script — attributed to four writers — and the
inept direction by a Frenchman who understandably resorts to the pseudonym of Pitof, it’s small wonder

that Warner Bros. divorced Catwoman from the Batman franchise, and Nicole Kidman wisely turned the role down. Instead of Batman’s Selina Kyle, Berry gets to play Patience Phillips, a meek, put-upon graphic artist who is verbally abused by her haughty cosmetics-company boss, Hedare (Lambert Wilson, essentially reprising his role from “The Matrix Reloaded”). She is also somehow unable to get a date, even though she is the most drop-dead gorgeous woman in the building. When she accidentally discovers that the second most drop-dead gorgeous woman in the building — Hedare’s supermodel wife and partner, Laurel (Sharon Stone) — is hiding the fact that the firm’s new beauty cream will actually disfigure women, poor Patience gets flushed into the river with a load of toxic waste (which can easily be confused with this movie). Brought back to life by an Egyptian cat named Midnight who imbues her with magical powers — and mentored by a mysterious professor (Frances Conroy of “Six Feet Under”) — Catwoman sets out to find her killers.

The apparently few fans of the trailers will be disappointed to learn that Patience doesn’t don her silly-

looking, strategically ripped catsuit until nearly an hour into this 91-minute movie, and we don’t see Catwoman a whole lot after that. The audience’s uh, patience, is tried by far too much footage of a lame, chemistry-free romance between Patience and Tom Lone (Benjamin Bratt), a police detective who is too

dim even to suspect his new girlfriend is really the scantily clad Catwoman, even after Patience scampers

out of a malfunctioning Ferris wheel to rescue a little boy. This sequence is handled as clumsily as all of the

other action sequences, which have been severely edited in an unsuccessful attempt to disguise the fact that the computergenerated version of Catwoman looks nearly as phony as the real thing. Pitof (real name: Jean-

Christophe Comar), a visual- effects supervisor for Jean-Pierre Jeunet, borrows the supersatured color look his mentor used in “Amelie” and does offer some striking vistas of the Vancouver skyline (standing in for an unnamed American city). But he has absolutely no clue how to direct his actors. Unsure whether to play

it seriously or for camp value, Berry laps up cream, chows down tins of tuna, sniffs at catnip, hisses at

dogs and wields a whip. The overall effect suggests less female empowerment than an Oscar winner

who would endure almost any humiliation for a $12.5 million paycheck. Stone — who, with the help of a surgeon and/or special effects, looks younger here than she did in “Basic Instinct” 12 years ago — clearly realizes it’s all a crock. She steals what isn’t nailed down with a way, way, over-the-top performance as Laurel, who is furious with her husband for replacing her as the company’s “face” with his younger model girlfriend because she’s just turned 40. “Catwoman” is pretty well summed up by Hedare: “This is a disaster.

It’s a total bloody disaster.”
Old 07-22-04, 05:32 PM

here's a review from

CNN :

"If Laurel and Catwoman started making out at the top of the Hedare beauty headquarters, instead of trying to throw each other off it, even that wouldn't make the movie any more interesting."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.