Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Angel Heart"... can someone please explain? (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 02:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I just didn't quite get the end. I got that Robert DeNiro was the devil, but not quite sure about the whole why Angel was Johnny and why he was manipulated and all that. And was it true that he slept with his daughter (Lisa Bonet) if I am not mistaken because Johnny was her father! Please help the confusion. Thanks.

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-14-04 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-14-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Johnny Favorite ("Handsome" was that other movie) was a singer who sold his soul to the devil for fame. He was shipped over to Europe for WWII and came back all screwed-up. His girlfriend and her father, both Satanists, picked him up at the mental hospital and took him to Time Square, where they lured a soldier away, sacrificed him to the devil, and Johnny ate his heart. They did this to steal the soldier's soul and allow him to skip out on his deal with the devil.

The soldier was Harry Angel. Favorite assumed Angel's identity, unaware of his past as Johnny Favorite or of his deal with the devil. But Lucifer wasn't fooled. He sent Harry on a fool's errand to locate the whereabouts of Johnny Favorite, and guided Harry into slaughtering everyone he questioned.

Yes, Lisa Bonet was his daughter. And his grandson -- Bonet's son -- was fathered by Satan himself! (Bonet describes her child's father as a mysterious force who came to her during a voodoo cermony -- the "**** of a lifetime".) The giveaway, of course, is that haunting final shot.

I think that sums it up pretty well, no?
Old 07-14-04, 04:46 PM

yes, i figured the kid was satan's spawn.

so why did the devil put Johnny through all the motions anyway? just to f*** with him and have Harry aka Johnny come to the truth all by himself and give him the ultimate mind f*** and thus give the devil his due...and that is essentially what the whole movie is about?

what was the reasoning for killing everyone? fowler, toots, margaret (who was the girlfriend, right?)...it wasn't just to get busted by the cops and eventually rot in jail and thus go to hell, was it? the devil figuring that that kinda torture "the real world" would be satisfaction as well.

am i kinda getting it?

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-14-04 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-14-04, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by VOOM
Charlotte Rampling and Lisa Bonet one into getting her ***** cut out and Bonet with Angels gun up her snatch after another *F* and bath of a liftime. Too bad they didn't show what happened to Toots...a columbian necktie stuffed in his throat for having a big mouth and slashing angels hand with a old style straight edge razor.
huh? i am not sure that first sentence is english...what are you trying to say? seriously...
I Dunno
Old 07-14-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Take this as a threadcrap if you want, but I was little confused at the end as well but only because this movie bored me to shit.

I got the whole sacrafice thing but I didn't catch on to some of the details mentioned already by Matt.

Last edited by Rival11; 07-14-04 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-14-04, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Rival11
Take this as a threadcrap if you want, but I was little confused at the end as well but only because this movie bored me to shit.
why would you think that is a threadcrap? that is your opinion and totally legit. i don't know why people think that opinions are considered threadcraps if they don't like the movie being discussed. this society/forum has gotten to lighten up on the PC ways of thinking...
Smile
Old 07-14-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott1598
why would you think that is a threadcrap? that is your opinion and totally legit. i don't know why people think that opinions are considered threadcraps if they don't like the movie being discussed. this society/forum has gotten to lighten up on the PC ways of thinking...
Smile
-notrolls-

Old 07-15-04, 12:48 PM

yes, i figured the kid was satan's spawn.

so why did the devil put Johnny through all the motions anyway? just to f*** with him and have Harry aka Johnny come to the truth all by himself and give him the ultimate mind f*** and thus give the devil his due...and that is essentially what the whole movie is about?

what was the reasoning for killing everyone? fowler, toots, margaret (who was the girlfriend, right?)...it wasn't just to get busted by the cops and eventually rot in jail and thus go to hell, was it? the devil figuring that that kinda torture "the real world" would be satisfaction as well.

am i kinda getting it?
matt m...what about some other answers to my questions...
Old 07-15-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

matt m...what about some other answers to my questions...
Please... call me Betty.

Anyway, (???) The Devil knew exactly where Johnny was the entire time. The way I see it, you're right on the money when you said that he wanted to deliver the ultimate mind-fork to Johnny, like when you're dreaming at night, and the dream slowly turns into a nightmare, and the nightmare in fact turns out to be real, and reality was the dream. Shocking. Scandalous. Groiny.

Killing everybody along the way just was part of Satan's plan. "Harry" thought the killer (most likely Johnny) was always one step behind him, but he was only (literally) running from himself. Also notice that everybody Johnny killed (his soul belonged to Satan, so Lucifer did have some leeway over him) was someone associated with the Devil in one way or another. Except for Toots, who was simply a voodoo practioner, everyone else was either a Devil worshipper, accomplice, or lover.

I think you've got it.
Old 07-15-04, 04:49 PM

ahhhhhhhh!!! tanks for the answers, Betty! still i was hoping the movie were a little better. and for a SE DVD i thought it was rather on the weak side. i mean the interview with mickey was ok and surreal, but it was otherwise pretty lacking eh!
Old 07-15-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What makes the movie great (to me), other than the twist, is Alan Parker's direction, Bonet's lusciousness, the cinematography and smart editing. But I am an Alan Parker whore, and why not? Watch Fame again and wonder whether or not such a gritty, streetsmart, and bitter-edged performance drama could ever be produced today.

Also Birdy.
Old 07-15-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
What makes the movie great (to me), other than the twist, is Alan Parker's direction
While I didn't like the movie as a whole, I completely agree that the direction was awesome, good call
Old 07-17-04, 11:27 AM

What makes the movie great (to me), other than the twist, is Alan Parker's direction, Bonet's lusciousness, the cinematography and smart editing. But I am an Alan Parker whore, and why not? Watch Fame again and wonder whether or not such a gritty, streetsmart, and bitter-edged performance drama could ever be produced today.

Also Birdy.
about Bonet's lusciousness...when she and Mickey were "making love" was the reason she was whincing and then screaming because he was killing her or because it was her true first time and he was popping her cherry (because it also seemed so when he got mad right after and smashed the mirror)? I just got confused because when she was in the bath she seemed like innocence lost.
Old 07-17-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Satan had his turn buzzing the brillo before Harry/Jonny, so it definitely wasn't her first time.

But, ignoring her Mephistophelian Manboy, who's to say she wasn't provided some serious lumber on other occasions? Remember, she described the Prince of Darkness as "the best **** she ever had" -- implying that she had been up and down Baloney Creek more than once, or perhaps had even shown off the good ol' balloon knot.
Old 07-18-04, 10:11 AM

Well, Satan had his turn buzzing the brillo before Harry/Jonny, so it definitely wasn't her first time.

But, ignoring her Mephistophelian Manboy, who's to say she wasn't provided some serious lumber on other occasions? Remember, she described the Prince of Darkness as "the best **** she ever had" -- implying that she had been up and down Baloney Creek more than once, or perhaps had even shown off the good ol' balloon knot.
yes, i know she said that, but was that actually physical? or was it spiritual/mental f***? she said there was no physical presence when it happened.
Old 07-18-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Also Birdy.

Another thing that made it creepy and gave it a nice style was setting it in the 50's. Since the 50's are considered such a "golden age of good things" having all this devil stuff going on was really weird.
Old 07-18-04, 06:53 PM

I think it was actually the 40's...1943 to be exact.
Old 08-05-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "Angel Heart"... can someone please explain? (spoilers)

No, it was well after the war... early 1950s I believe.
Old 08-05-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Take this as a thread crap or not...

*poops on thread*
Old 08-06-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread makes me miss Mickey Rourke's human face.
Old 08-06-10, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OH scott1598...why won't you stop asking so many questions. There are more questions from him than from 20 of us combined.
Old 08-23-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I just saw this movie. Just a great film. The music, atmosphere, and the way it was shot reminded me a lot of Jacob's Ladder.

I'm a little confused on the plot though:

Johnny Favorite sold his soul to the devil to become a famous singer. Then, to get out of the deal and fool the devil, he killed a young soldier in order to steal his soul.
Problem is Johnny got drafted, got injured overseas, and when he came back, was in a coma briefly, came out of it with amnesia, and at some point truly believed he was Harold Angel, and didn't know who he really was.

If he got amnesia, and Margaret and her father got him out of the hospital, why did they just let him go wandering in New York? I didn't understand that part.
And when he stole the soul of the soldier, did he still look the same? If not, why doesn't Margaret or anyone else recognize him as Johnny? In the flashback scene, you see enough of the soldier, the real Harold Angel, to see he looks nothing like Mickey Rourke.

The rumor was that Johnny Favorite was disfigured and had reconstructive surgery on his face. That would explain having a new face, but could they make a disfigured person in the 40s/50s really look like a young Mickey Rourke? That's a bit of a stretch.
Plus, I'm assuming that Margaret and her rich father paid for it. Again, why doesn't Margaret recognize him. Surely she would have seen his new face.
And supposedly, because Johnny had amnesia, they brought him to the scene of the crime where he abducted the soldier, in order to jog his memory. And he just walked away...an eventually they lost track of him, and he eventually "remembered" that he was Harry Angel, WWII vet and became a private eye.
Why would his fiancee and her father, who spent all this money trying to help Johnny, bring him to a location, only to let him just slowly walk away? That made no sense.

At some point Margaret's father says that Johnny had to steal the soul of someone the same age as him. Harry and Johnny have the same birthday. But later on, it's said that Johnny and Toots go into a crowd to pick out the victim. How could they have pulled some random AND have them have the same exact birthdate?
Old 08-23-18, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brayzie
I just saw this movie. Just a great film. The music, atmosphere, and the way it was shot reminded me a lot of Jacob's Ladder.

If he got amnesia, and Margaret and her father got him out of the hospital, why did they just let him go wandering in New York? I didn't understand that part.
And when he stole the soul of the soldier, did he still look the same? If not, why doesn't Margaret or anyone else recognize him as Johnny? In the flashback scene, you see enough of the soldier, the real Harold Angel, to see he looks nothing like Mickey Rourke.
They wanted Johnny safe and far away from the Devil. That's why they picked him from the hospital and just released him in a very crowded place, Times Square --- the last place where the young soldier (the REAL Harold "Harry" Angel) was chosen for the ritual.
They didn't want to know anything about the new face and the new identity, however. That's because they were afraid the Devil would found it from them.
It was a ruse.

The rumor was that Johnny Favorite was disfigured and had reconstructive surgery on his face. That would explain having a new face, but could they make a disfigured person in the 40s/50s really look like a young Mickey Rourke? That's a bit of a stretch.
We can pretend that in the Angel Heart universe, surgery procedures were good enough and ahead in the Forties.

Plus, I'm assuming that Margaret and her rich father paid for it. Again, why doesn't Margaret recognize him. Surely she would have seen his new face.
He was bandaged. And they did NOT see his new face --- it was done on purpose. Read above.

And supposedly, because Johnny had amnesia, they brought him to the scene of the crime where he abducted the soldier, in order to jog his memory. And he just walked away...an eventually they lost track of him, and he eventually "remembered" that he was Harry Angel, WWII vet and became a private eye.
He had the memories and the personality of Harry Angel, and the "surface" soul aura. That's why the Devil did not detect him for twelve years.
ANYWAY he remembered that it wasn't his original (Harry Angel's) face, I suppose. The Mickey Rourke face is supposed to be a totally new face, not Johnny's or Harry's.
Old 08-23-18, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Daiapolon? I remember that Japanese Robot cartoon from the 70's!
Old 08-24-18, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Daiapolon? I remember that Japanese Robot cartoon from the 70's!
Truly?! Great. I'm a huge fan and expert.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.