Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Below

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Below

While it's more of a revenge ghost story, it's definitely worth one watch.

Dimension has been going mental lately by not hyping up films like Equilibrium & Below.

Below had its moments and did keep me wanting to stick around until the end. The FX were pretty damn good, the acting was above average and the directing was great.

Check this one out and of course.................come back to DVD Talk to discuss
Old 07-14-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
co-written by Aronofsky and directed by Twohy, this is on my to-watch list.
Old 07-14-04, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Equalibrium and Below were two of my fav films last year... i was lucky to catch them in the theatre here. I was the ONLY one at Below on the first day... I have enjoyed both films many times on DVD and they are worth checking out.
Old 07-14-04, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
There have been a few decent discussions on this film already - I know it's hard to search for a common word like "below" - plus, I just tried to find them and couldn't. Anyway - Below is pretty decent. It probably could've been more than it was, but I still liked it.
Old 07-14-04, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Plus the DVD has reference level sound/video.
Old 07-14-04, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Below was pretty damn_good, though the plot was stock and the ending predictable
Spoiler:
(like sixth sense)
. If you like to watch actors acting and directors directing at a high level of skill without a lot of distracting BS, check this one out.
Old 07-14-04, 07:37 AM
Banned

Actually Below and The Fog I own are ghost revenge stories The Fog is above and you have Below which is underwater. The Changeling which is a child ghost bent on revenge of the man who took his place, not of the father.
Old 07-14-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought Below had its moments, and it is a pretty good horror film. Yet, some aspects of the film did not work the magic of horror, which hurt the overall cinematic experience. Yet, it is light years better than Ghost Ship. You should see Devil's Backbone, which is a much better horror film in the sense of using horror than Below. Or try to see Event Horizon, which is in my eyes a much underrated horror film that takes place in space.
Old 07-14-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
Equalibrium and Below were two of my fav films last year... i was lucky to catch them in the theatre here. I was the ONLY one at Below on the first day... I have enjoyed both films many times on DVD and they are worth checking out.
Same here, though I blind bought them on DVD.
Old 07-14-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The atmosphere of Below is what struck me when I saw it in the theater. The movie as a whole didn't do much, but there are quite a few quality moments.
Old 07-14-04, 09:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by TomOpus
Plus the DVD has reference level sound/video.
It's pretty pointless not the enjoy the eerie 5.1 Dolby Digital soundmix for this film.
Old 07-14-04, 09:41 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Great flick - there was a thread on it a while back. I too saw this in the theatres and am glad I did.
Old 07-14-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Smurf
I thought Below had its moments, and it is a pretty good horror film. Yet, some aspects of the film did not work the magic of horror, which hurt the overall cinematic experience. Yet, it is light years better than Ghost Ship. You should see Devil's Backbone, which is a much better horror film in the sense of using horror than Below. Or try to see Event Horizon, which is in my eyes a much underrated horror film that takes place in space.
I've seen all the films you mentioned exccept for Devils backbone, but funny you should mention it because it's next on my list.

I also highly reccomend Event Horizon.