Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Doom" starring The Rock?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-11-04, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda surprised it seems nobody has mentioned this yet (did a search).

So anyway, word is The Rock is likely going to be doing a movie based on the PC game Doom (more specifically, the upcoming Doom 3).

The Doom franchise is one of my all time favorites so I would love to see a movie based on it even if it sucked (which most game-to-movie translations do) but, maybe it will be good? Not a wrestling fan but I have enjoyed the movies The Rock has done so far. Just watched The Rundown tonight and thought it was a good "fun" movie.

Thoughts?
Old 07-11-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh, I was thinking of Dr. Doom.

Damn, I wish they'd do a Dr. Doom movie.
Old 07-11-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is the rumor although I think it will not happen.
Old 07-11-04, 11:09 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe eight or nine years ago, but now? I know there's the sequel coming, but hasn't the game's status as a "craze" been over for quite some time? I suppose that didn't stop Tomb Raider, but at least that game had a pretty sellable mainstream concept (hot female Indiana Jones) even if the movie turned out terrible. Doom just doesn't seem like it'd draw a big mainstream following, which means only the diehard gamers would go. And they'd likely just rag on the thing the second they found out they did one thing that was unfaithful to the game. Just my two cents.
Old 07-11-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by joeydaninja
oh, I was thinking of Dr. Doom.

Damn, I wish they'd do a Dr. Doom movie.
Your wish is somewhat granted...
Old 07-11-04, 11:42 AM

Well, Doom 3 is about to hit with the biggest marketing campaign Acitivision has ever put together so, it will be back in the spotlight again in a big way. It may not be the craze it once was but it's gonna be bigger than Tomb Raider ever was most likely.

And the rumor comes directly from The Rock himself.

In an interview on Empire online with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, he drops a little bit of info about his upcoming movies, one of which could possibly be DOOM. There has been a few rumours going around lately about the DOOM movie and who has the rights to it, but is known that the script will follow the same storyline as DOOM 3.

The Rock who has starred in such movies as the Rundown and The Scorpion King says about his next project Spy-Hunter. "I'm very, very excited about that. It's supposed to be shot in Prague and Amsterdam, butů" But? "You know how movie-making is. If we have to push it because of the weather and the Christmas vacation, then I'll probably take another movie with Universal called Doom."
I think it could be a good action movie. Word is that this new version of Doom actually has a good story to it. We'll see.
Old 07-11-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't see how this would work. At least the Tomb Raider games had a plot to them whereas Doom is just that.
Old 07-11-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
The Rock in an action flick? Count me in.

Liked the Rundown and Walking Tall.

As for Doom selling, I think it still can. Some people will watch it because its based on a video game they like/used to like. Other will watch it because its about blowing stuff up.
Old 07-11-04, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
I really don't see how this would work. At least the Tomb Raider games had a plot to them whereas Doom is just that.
The new Doom does indeed have a plot. It's not a sequel, it's been described as a re-telling of the original story. Very cinematic. They actually hired a script writer to write kind of a screenplay for the game before they started making it.
Old 07-11-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
How long has talks about a doom movie been floating around? More then I can remember. It's not happening anytime soon so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-11-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and i thought the Doom movie project was dead ... but Rock is a better casting idea than Dolph Lundgren as Duke Nukem ..

and i also hate to admit that I really liked him in Rundown ...

anyone here know the Lee Child "Jack Reacher" novels .. i think the Rock would make an excellent Jack Reacher ...
Old 07-11-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Rock in a Doom movie? WELL...it has the potential to be freakin awesome. I mean...pure violent over the top action with a guy who definately can pull off being the tough guy.

But...first off they need a decent screenplay, and a decent director, not the latest flash in the pan music video director. Lastly, Rock has always seemed to want his films geared towards general audiences. This is not the movie for that...this better be violent as shit, with demons exploding and people getting their heads ripped off. Anything less would be disapointing.

Otherwise...do it! Could be awesome.
Old 07-11-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the real question is how the hell is he going to rock bottom a baron of hell?
Old 07-12-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Through the miracle of CG! After all, we have fantastic CG to thank for the flawless rendition of a half-Rock/half-scorpion/-all-BRILLIANT creation in Mummy 2...
Old 07-12-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Your wish is somewhat granted...
oh yeah, i forgot about that one. would've preferred peyton reed as the director though
Old 07-12-04, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Rock is definitely the most overexposed celebrity in existence, especially considering he can't act or draw as a headlining lead in a movie. Why he keeps getting movie roles is beyond me. Nothing he's been in has drawn at all. Mummy Returns maybe, but that had absolutely nothing to do with him.

Scorpion King - cost 95 million total, marketing plus budget. It made 91 based solely on it being associated with the Mummy during the marketing.

The Rundown - BoxOfficeMojo states the marketing plus production cost 110 million. It made 47 million.

Walking Tall - Production cost 46 million and marketing cost 25 million. It made 46 million.

If anything, he's drawing worse with every film. If Doom bombs, it should be goodbye Rock, at least as far as lead roles go. Few non-wrestling fans are interested in seeing him in lead roles.

I don't know. Doom sounds utterly pointless. But then it's not the first. Sorry for the rant. I just can't stand the Rock and his over the top persona.

Have no fear. He will do some wrestling moves in the movie and no doubt he'll raise his eyebrow.
Old 07-12-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Terrell
Scorpion King - cost 95 million total, marketing plus budget. It made 91 based solely on it being associated with the Mummy during the marketing.
The Rundown - BoxOfficeMojo states the marketing plus production cost 110 million. It made 47 million.
Walking Tall - Production cost 46 million and marketing cost 25 million. It made 46 million.
Because, as we all know, a film's, and an actor's, quality is dictated solely by box office sales.
Old 07-12-04, 02:55 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think The Rock has been doing well in the movies, so I'm looking foward to this one.
Old 07-12-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
A Doom movie should be like an Aliens meets Resident Evil meets Event Horizon movie... many people would barf on that combo, but I would love to see a movie like that.
Old 07-12-04, 04:50 PM

A Doom movie has been in development for, what, ten years now?

Let's face it: no one ever played Doom for the story. Games is games and movies is movies, and there's no reason to think what makes one good will make the other good as well. A long string of crappy (and generally low-grossing) video game movies proves it.
Old 07-12-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Inverse
Let's face it: no one ever played Doom for the story. Games is games and movies is movies, and there's no reason to think what makes one good will make the other good as well. A long string of crappy (and generally low-grossing) video game movies proves it.
"Generally low-grossing"? The domestic and worldwide sales on those babies are exactly what keep the studios coming back... even House Of The Dead and Final Fantasy recouped and profited eventually, thanks to DVD sales and the recognition of the names. Ecks Vs. Sever aside, they're generally quite profitable.
Old 07-12-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Ecks vs. Sever was a video game?
Old 07-12-04, 10:21 PM

"Generally low-grossing"? The domestic and worldwide sales on those babies are exactly what keep the studios coming back... even House Of The Dead and Final Fantasy recouped and profited eventually, thanks to DVD sales and the recognition of the names. Ecks Vs. Sever aside, they're generally quite profitable.
Well, actually Final Fantasy was quite a spectacular bomb, but you're right...in general these movies are quite profitable. House of the Dead being a pretty tidy success.

Nonetheless, Doom could be cool. Every video game movie I'll hold hope for, this one at least has a good starting point for a cool genre movie. I mean, it's better than Spy Hunter.
Old 07-12-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Well, actually Final Fantasy was quite a spectacular bomb, ...
I was led to believe that the worldwide DVD sales had allowed Sony to recoupe their loss on that film.
Old 07-13-04, 12:02 AM

I was led to believe that the worldwide DVD sales had allowed Sony to recoupe their loss on that film.
Well, considering they were in the red well over a hundred million dollars after theatrical release, those would have to be some robust DVD sales to make up for that. It's possible, I'm just doubting it. Final Fantasy was an extremely expensive movie, somewhere in the 130-150 million dollar range, before P&A.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.