Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Motorcycle Diaries

Old 07-07-04, 03:41 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 1,693
The Motorcycle Diaries

I saw the trailer for this movie last night when I went to watch F9/11. It's sort of about Che Guevara, really more about a trip he takes with his friend across South America after they finish school, and supposedly how it changes him and sets him on the path to being a revolutionary. The scenery looked absolutely amazing, and the film was nominated for the Palme D'Or at Cannes. The main actor, Gael García Bernal, was in Y Tu Mama Tambien (which I haven't seen yet) and Amores Perros (which I saw and really liked).

Doesn't look like it opens until October though, and even then its listed as NY and LA. I hope this get a little wider release, since it looks really good.
Achtung is offline  
Old 07-07-04, 03:50 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,015
I also was impressed by the trailer...but if you're gonna make a film about Che Gueverra, why not go all out and show the revolutionary? Seems like a cop out to me. Regardless, I'm looking forward to checking this out.
Abranut is offline  
Old 07-07-04, 04:16 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Rochester
Posts: 137
I don't think there can be award-caliber Spanish language films without Bernal anymore.


I think there's already movies on the revolution (and there's certainly one in the works) so a coming-of-age awakening type of movie sounds interesting.
grifter is offline  
Old 07-07-04, 10:52 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 106
i think Steven Soderbergh is also making a movie about Che Guevera called CHE
alessandro is offline  
Old 07-08-04, 07:40 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,228
Originally posted by alessandro
i think Steven Soderbergh is also making a movie about Che Guevera called CHE
I've read that, too, and according to IMDB, he will begin production in South America next summer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374569/
B.A. is offline  
Old 07-08-04, 07:56 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
LiquidSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pokey Dot Lounge, Nashville, TN
Posts: 9,169
Originally posted by alessandro
i think Steven Soderbergh is also making a movie about Che Guevera called CHE
Is Julia Roberts going to play Che Guevara?

I saw the trailer for "The Motorcycle Diaries" as well....looks good.
LiquidSky is offline  
Old 08-09-04, 09:44 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,228
I finally saw the trailer for this - looks pretty damn good, imo.
B.A. is offline  
Old 08-10-04, 12:33 PM
  #8  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,830
clips, interviews, etc from the cannes film festival...

http://www.festival-cannes.fr/films/...84&cmedia=5690
Cygnet74 is offline  
Old 10-06-04, 04:05 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dark City
Posts: 4,218
I saw it last night and it is definitely worth seeing. The story involves two friends making a long trek throughout south america and their adventures and how their experiences influence Che's view on the world. The movie is essentially a buddy picture. They have some great experiences and the movie is genuinely funny and touching. The scenery of the different countries, particularly Peru, is gorgeous as well. The movie isn't about Che the revolutionary, it is about Che, the youth, trying to find his place in the world.

He doesn't spend his time reciting rhetoric, but Bernal does a good job of giving you glimpses of his personality and leadership abilities so you can see the progression.
chente is offline  
Old 10-06-04, 04:23 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Rift
Posts: 179
I saw this yesterday as well, I thought the "journey" was a little uneventful. I was expecting some more conflict, emotion, impact, etc. There wasn't a whole lot of insight into the two companions attitudes toward the revolution. I feel like I wasn't offered any glimpse into these two young mens minds. However, like most foreign films this was refreshing watching a movie take its time and present characters as real people.

Some of the experiences these two have are special, some very nice moments. I was just expecting something a little more profound along the way.

The photography is absolutely spectacular, reason enough to see this movie.
Chill Pill is offline  
Old 10-06-04, 04:28 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germantown Maryland
Posts: 2,488
Originally posted by Abranut
I also was impressed by the trailer...but if you're gonna make a film about Che Gueverra, why not go all out and show the revolutionary? Seems like a cop out to me.
It's not a cop-out. The movie is based on his memoirs, pictures that he took when he was 23 and was eventually published as The Motorcycle Diaries. If you want to see a film about "the revolutionary" just wait for Soderbergh's Che next year with Benicio Del Toro.
Rivero is offline  
Old 10-08-04, 02:36 AM
  #12  
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: B.W.I.
Posts: 3,699
I saw this last week - I thought it was impressive, as a road-movie and the first chapter in the life of a revolutionary.

Did they ever say what it said in that letter - I got the gist of the emotion but thought I might missed a mention of it somewhere.
MrN is offline  
Old 10-08-04, 11:15 PM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: UNITED STATES!
Posts: 2,533
AWESOME movie. Everyone should go see it. Great reviews all around the board too.
UKingdom is offline  
Old 10-09-04, 02:18 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
My girlfriend took me to see it tonight (since I'm taking her to see Team America tomorrow night) and I thought it was a great film. Easily worth the $18.00 I paid for the two of us to see it.
Matthew Chmiel is offline  
Old 10-09-04, 04:47 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Originally posted by Rivero
It's not a cop-out. The movie is based on his memoirs, pictures that he took when he was 23 and was eventually published as The Motorcycle Diaries. If you want to see a film about "the revolutionary" just wait for Soderbergh's Che next year with Benicio Del Toro.

I agree with you. Then again, am I the only one who finds it funny and Ironic that the spirit of Che lives on through merchindising at hot topic and upcoming films that generate money in a capitolistic society?

I'm not sure what that commi would think of that. Ha!
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 10-09-04, 11:56 AM
  #16  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
am I the only one who finds it funny and Ironic that the spirit of Che lives on through merchindising at hot topic and upcoming films that generate money in a capitolistic society?
No. That's a common conclusion.
scott shelton is offline  
Old 10-09-04, 06:50 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,507
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I agree with you. Then again, am I the only one who finds it funny and Ironic that the spirit of Che lives on through merchindising at hot topic and upcoming films that generate money in a capitolistic society?
The revolution is always co-opted.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 10-10-04, 08:55 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 883
I can't imagine this film becoming more than an art house success. No matter how good the quality is, it's still a film that glorifies communism. Remember "Reds"? Despite many Oscar nominations, it was a box office dud. Considering today's political climate, I'll be shocked if it plays much beyond art houses, or lasts more than a couple weeks in a chain theater.
Tarnower is offline  
Old 10-10-04, 10:35 AM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germantown Maryland
Posts: 2,488
Originally posted by Tarnower
I can't imagine this film becoming more than an art house success. No matter how good the quality is, it's still a film that glorifies communism.
You obviously haven't seen the film yet. btw, Hero was a b.o. hit.
Rivero is offline  
Old 10-12-04, 06:24 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: currently Philly originally from Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,896
In fact, i don't think the words, communist, socialist, capitalist nor revolution are mentioned once in this film. Che didn't become the Che we know now until he visits the U.S. after his trip in Latin America and gets treated like sh*t. then it all starts to come together. Tarnower, it would be better if you saw the film before bashing it as communist propaganda.
BuddhaWake is offline  
Old 10-12-04, 02:39 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
DJLinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 8,646
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I agree with you. Then again, am I the only one who finds it funny and Ironic that the spirit of Che lives on through merchindising at hot topic and upcoming films that generate money in a capitolistic society?

I'm not sure what that commi would think of that. Ha!
I'm eventually going to have to get this shirt, just to piss off the kids wearing Che shirts. It's cool to be a communist!

DJLinus is offline  
Old 10-12-04, 06:09 PM
  #22  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germantown Maryland
Posts: 2,488
Rivero is offline  
Old 02-22-05, 12:23 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,701
Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
In fact, i don't think the words, communist, socialist, capitalist nor revolution are mentioned once in this film. Che didn't become the Che we know now until he visits the U.S. after his trip in Latin America and gets treated like sh*t. then it all starts to come together. Tarnower, it would be better if you saw the film before bashing it as communist propaganda.
It's communist propoganda, and I've seen it. I kept expecting the ghosts of Marx and Lenin to come out and hold Che's hand to help him. And "revolution" is mentioned in the epilogue...

It still a decent movie and worth watching, just expect communist overtones. Of course, it is a movie about one of the turning points in a commie revolutionary's life, so I guess the communist overtones can't be too unexpected.
Heat is offline  
Old 06-29-05, 04:22 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Hell - see you when you get here.
Posts: 1,580
Originally Posted by Heat
It's communist propoganda, and I've seen it. I kept expecting the ghosts of Marx and Lenin to come out and hold Che's hand to help him. And "revolution" is mentioned in the epilogue...

It still a decent movie and worth watching, just expect communist overtones. Of course, it is a movie about one of the turning points in a commie revolutionary's life, so I guess the communist overtones can't be too unexpected.
just saw this last night..
The movie did mention communism, but in a very round about way without shoving it down your throat. I agree with Chill Pill overall.. sort of slow and uneventfull, with some commedic relief at times that was rather refreshing.

Not a bad movie overall, worth a see.. but also did not really "touch" me in any way.. i felt kind of bland and uncaring after the movie.
Honestly, from just this movie, it's kind of hard to see why Che became a revolutionary, it needed more substance.
Oraphus is offline  
Old 06-29-05, 04:42 PM
  #25  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,830
Originally Posted by Oraphus
Honestly, from just this movie, it's kind of hard to see why Che became a revolutionary, it needed more substance.
that's because this wasn't a film about Ernesto becoming a revolutionary.
Cygnet74 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.