Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question for those who bring babies into theaters...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Question for those who bring babies into theaters...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I can't stand the obligigatory group of obnoxious, loud, asshat teenagers at some of the movies I've seen recently that insist on talking in loud voices, laughing and telling jokes while talking on the phone during the movie.

F'rs.........
Old 07-01-04, 01:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I have a young daughter at home who only recently got to see her first movie in the theater (Shrek 2, which she loved). It's infuriating to go through the trouble of getting a babysitter, etc so that my wife and I can go out...only to have other peoples babies screaming through the show.
Old 07-01-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dabaomb
^ what he said
Old 07-01-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know - babies in the theater and noisy teens and people kicking chairs and all that other stuff has been going on since forever... since the ticket prices are higher now and concessions are more expensive, perhaps theaters can hire an extra employee or two to sit in the entire movie to make sure this stuff doesn't go on. There's a theater in North Scottsdale that does this and it's great. Most other theaters I go to just have the manager walk in and look around for a minute or two and then leave - presumably to go smoke a bowl or whatever.
Old 07-01-04, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I attend a movie with a crying baby, after the movie i will thank the parent for just giving me a free movie...i will go speak with the manager letting them know that i did not enjoy my experience because they allowed a baby into a movie, i always get free tickets.
Old 07-01-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I've just learned to sit in the back with a squirt gun full of liquid Ivory soap.......when someone bothers me they get a little goo.....
Old 07-01-04, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Minor Threat
I can't stand the obligigatory group of obnoxious, loud, asshat teenagers at some of the movies I've seen recently that insist on talking in loud voices, laughing and telling jokes while talking on the phone during the movie.
There is no age limit to this type of behavior. I've seen it from everybody. The last two films I went to featured a performance by Annoying Cell Phone Guy, and I'm not talking about the PSA.
Old 07-01-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We lost Pants? I wonder if people in Europe bring their babies to movie theatres. Its just that in Europe it seems they take movies a lot more serious than America does.
Old 07-01-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Ive been to movies where people have bought babies into the theater and they've been silent the entire movie. most of the time the people making the most noise are the nerds complaining or explaining "this isnt how it happened in the book!"
Old 07-01-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think a more pressing issue is the people who go to the theater without Pants. They do that trick with the popcorn tub in their lap... bastards.
Old 07-01-04, 03:49 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by gkleinman
DVD Talk now has no Pants.
Now how will I get quotes for my sig? I don't know if I can support a Pantsless DVDTalk.

cya
Old 07-01-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rare is the parent who is responsible enough to keep an eye on their kid and also on the movie. Only once was I really impressed with a parent in regards to his kid in a theater. They sat down right next to me and the kid kept on elbowing me in the ribs with his scrawny arms. I don't know how the dad noticed it, but he whispered something to the kid not long after the kid started it and he was fine for the rest of the movie.

MOST parents I know, however, haven't been to the theater to see a movie in a while. MOst I know simply rent movies or buy them. I ask them why, and they say because of their kids, they can't get a baby sitter. So I feel if these selfish parents want to see the movie that damned bad, then buy/rent it when it comes out three-five months from now and try watching it at home with your brat screaming in their ears!

And I also agree it's boardering on child abuse to take kids into certain movies, like the poor six year old girl I saw with her parents at Bad Santa. The girl kept on having to cover her eyes and ears thru the entire movie at the insistance of her mother and the rest of the time she looked around bored out of her skull wondering what the hell she was doing there.

I say the solution is don't discount kid's movies. The only kid's tickets that should be discounted are matinee movies. Kids under the age 13 should be charged 32.00 each for their tickets to PG-13 and R rated movies and have to pay double the price to see "family" movies like Shrek 2. Hey, the last one might be harsh, but I think there should be screenings of movies like Shrek 2 where adults can sit in peace and watch the movie.
Old 07-01-04, 04:46 PM

Personally, I wouldn't mind if theaters just imposed a curfew on their movies. Like not allowing anyone under the age of 13 into a show that starts after 8:00 or so. That way I could just catch the later shows and parents wouldn't be tempted to take their kids into movies that run late into the night. That might not be the fairest solution on the face of the earth, but I don't really see the need of kids under 13 to be out later then 10:00 at night anyway. And I have no problem with seeing a later movie.
Old 07-01-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trigger
since the ticket prices are higher now and concessions are more expensive, perhaps theaters can hire an extra employee or two to sit in the entire movie to make sure this stuff doesn't go on. There's a theater in North Scottsdale that does this and it's great.
Which one is this? I might have to start going there.
Old 07-01-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Indeed. I wish the mods would do that all the time, so people can see what is unacceptable, rather than deleting the posts and doing the banning/suspending over e-mail, with most members coming into the thread after the fact and having no idea why the person was punishied.
I wish mods would do this all the time cause it's f***ing hilarious.
Old 07-01-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They're unwilling to pay for a babysitter. What is the going rate now, I would think at least $10 per hour, right? When they weigh the two sides: Shelling out a minimum of $30 OR inconveniencing a group of strangers, it's no choice at all to people who have no consideration for others.

However, even worse than babies, children, or even teenagers, are the old fogies. On many occasions, I've been seated near geriatrics who think nothing of carrying on a conversation in normal tones during the movie. They're the absolute worst.
Old 07-01-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing worse than crying babies (and parents who don't care), is teenie-boppers with their stupid cell phones and txt msg'ing!!

To all parents out there: I'm glad you love your kids...blah blah blah.....BUT JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN TUNE OUT YOUR KID'S SCREAMING...DOESN"T MEAN WE CAN!

Thank you....I feel much better.

-pedagogue
Old 07-01-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Indeed. I wish the mods would do that all the time, so people can see what is unacceptable, rather than deleting the posts and doing the banning/suspending over e-mail, with most members coming into the thread after the fact and having no idea why the person was punishied.

Hooboy...
Old 07-01-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gkleinman
But completely beyond comprehension why you're posting that crap to our forum even after you've been suspended for it.

BANNED!

DVD Talk now has no Pants.
hey. that's my line.
Old 07-01-04, 07:20 PM

Screaming/crying babies in PG-13/R movies really bug me too. Obnoxious adolescents/teens can be annoying too... like last night when I saw Spider-man 2, there was this kid who was making farting noises and giggling during the last 10 minutes of the movie.
Old 07-01-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what bothers me the most is when people talk back to the screen. like, "yeah, go get 'em!" it's usually a redneck doing this. also, I hate when I'm in front of a few people who are providing a running commentary on the film...you know, for the upcoming dvd...
Old 07-01-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Cinema
what bothers me the most is when people talk back to the screen. like, "yeah, go get 'em!" it's usually a redneck doing this. also, I hate when I'm in front of a few people who are providing a running commentary on the film...you know, for the upcoming dvd...
i urge you never to see movies with big crowds, since sometimes thats half the fun, the past two "event" movies i have seen even has had cheering through out. (rotk, and spiderman 2)
Old 07-01-04, 09:36 PM
Banned

So it's selfish for a parent to bring their kids to a movie

but

it's not selfish for someone without kids to want to watch the movie the way they want?

I say, "Welcome to the planet Earth. Not everything will go your way, nor will everyone go out of their way to change their lives in an effort to make sure you are not annoyed. In fact, you might be suprised to know that you annoy others. Let's just all shut up and get along."
Old 07-01-04, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by digidoh
I can't remember the details, but earlier this year, one of the evening broadcast network news programs had a feature on a theater (I think it was in New York CIty) that had special showings set aside specifically for parents who wanted to bring their babies with them.

I can't recall ever hearing crying babies at any movies in my area.
its called Reel Moms
http://www.suntimes.com/output/movie...reelmom21.html
Old 07-02-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most parents in my area are considerate enough that if a baby cries, they tend to it, whether in a movie, restaurant, etc. I do the same for my child, I expect the same from them. If the parent is attentive and taking care of the baby, I do not mind them being there. I don't take my baby to movies, but I understand why sometimes parents do (children are a different matter).

Some parents though are inconsiderate and ignore their baby's needs, which in addition to being annoying, is just plain wrong for the baby's sake. My wife and I are lucky though, in that our baby is very quiet and content, so we can go places and he rarely makes a peep. If he were a cranky and fussy baby though, we would not take him out with us like we do.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.