Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman (78) vs Spider-Man 2 (04)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Superman: The Movie vs. Spider-Man 2
Superman
22.22%
Spider-Man 2
58.33%
Dead Even
2.78%
Can't Be Compared
16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-04, 04:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

So the ultimate battle is upon us!! Many have thought that the original Man of Steel, "Superman: The Movie", undaunted upon its perch for so long has been the the #1 superhero movie of all time. Every other superhero movie since then has been compared, some have been rather phenomenal ("X-Men 2") and some have not even come close (all the Batman sequels) to the tried and true formula.

While personally, I think it is hard to compare movies of yesteryear to movies of today, people do and thus the challenge with the current "Spider-man 2" movie is presented.

Spidey 2 excels at breaking the sequel mold and presents a story that is warm, thoughtful, earnest and action packed. It portrays more of the trials and tribulations of a boy, growing up in the vicious world that we all can relate to. He can't catch a break! His path is much similar, especially in this episode to another mild mannered bloke we all know and love. I for one really liked Spidey 2, I mean really liked, but I think the lore and magic that was the original "Superman" will stay long after this summer blockbuster is done. Who knows...I guess only time will tell if "Spider-Man 2" will permeate for good, but for now the blue guy wins my vote.

Now what's yours??
Old 06-30-04, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like I said in the Spiderman Review Thread, there was ONE thing holding back the movie from Superman level greatness: the score. Imagine the dramatic "Bum ba-da-bump-bum" of John William's score, as the trumpets slowly beguin building up to the CRASH of Clark leaping into the sky to save the helocopter.

Now - while Sam included a Big Reveal moment like that, Elfman's score was nowhere up to the challenge. At no time did the music ever say to me "Its time for ACTION!". As such, as long as Danny continued to be attached to the project, Spiderman will always be second on my list.

The OTHER thing that makes Superman special. Now-n-days, we've got special effects coming out our ears. But back in 78, we never had anything like that, beyond Star Wars. And suddenly - we COULD believe that a man could fly. And we soared right along with him. For that reason alone, while Spiderman was very, very good, Superman will always win my heart.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 06-30-04 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I haven't seen Spiderman 2 yet, but I am inclined to stick with Superman.

Why can I say something like that when I haven't seen Spidey 2?

Pretty simple really. Donner made a classc comic book film that incorporated the hardest part of comic book stories - the "origin" story - and made a compelling film.

Spiderman 2, even if better than Supes, doesn't have to waste time dealing with that. In fact I found the original Spiderman to be poor.
Old 06-30-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Superman by far.
Old 06-30-04, 05:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Did you get that glimmer of "Superman" when
Spoiler:
Aunt May was hanging for dear life by her cane?
The minute I saw that I thought Lois and the copter.
Old 06-30-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as I love Superman for its nostalgiac value, I will never forgive that whole...turn back time business.

Spiderman 2 was very good, so I voted for it...still not as good as X-2 though. Sorry.
Old 06-30-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by chess
As much as I love Superman for its nostalgiac value, I will never forgive that whole...turn back time business.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-30-04, 07:53 PM

I actually liked superman 2 better than i did the first one,actually there are a lot of comic book movies i enjoyed more then superman 1,spider-man 2 being among them
Old 06-30-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Far more appropriate comparison would be Superman 2 and Spider-Man 2, they share a lot of common themes and both are perfect sequels, but they didn't have to spend all the time on "set up" that the first movies did. Comparing Superman 1 and Spider-Man 2 is apples and oranges to me.