Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Speed Racer (d: The Wachowskis)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Speed Racer (d: The Wachowskis)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
They didn't necessarily love each other, but they were ready to give it another shot.

At least, that's how it came across to me.

Speed Racer opens tomorrow, not sure how I feel about it yet, but I think I'll see it somewhere down the line.
Old 05-08-08, 03:45 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
They didn't necessarily love each other, but they were ready to give it another shot.

At least, that's how it came across to me.
well that's the thing, I never really bought them. no real chemistry, though they were nice and they seemed to want to make it work. on that level it never connected with me, but everything else about the movie is gold.
Old 05-08-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
First seven minutes of the movie

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/spee...ml?showVideo=1
Old 05-08-08, 10:26 PM

looks a million times better than Spy Kids. just saying...
Old 05-09-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reviews have been pretty bad. They are saying the studio is realizing this is blood in the water and this may be the big bomb of the Summer.
Ashame because I had high hopes for it.
Old 05-09-08, 01:03 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do kids today even know what the fuck Speed Racer is? The show use to be run on MTV late at night in the early 90s but the demographic Speed Racer is going for would've been about four or five.

Not counting the movie I've seen the cartoon maybe twice my whole life. Its just a different generation. I say maybe this is third at the box office but Iron Man will def be #1 again.
Old 05-09-08, 01:05 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Warner just shuttered Picturehouse and Warner Independent, according to todays New York Times. Just some careful budgeting on a Speed Racer could have given them the money to keep them open.
Old 05-09-08, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just came back from seeing it at a midnight IMAX screening.

I honestly don't know why it's getting bad reviews.

As corny and outright silly the film may be at times, it's heart is in the right place and it's easily, by far, one of the most entertaining movies to come out this year. While the film does run a few minutes too long, the flick packs more energy and excitement than all of last week's Iron Man.

Besides the breathtaking cinematography, editing and visual effects; this is what a summer movie is supposed to be. I would also state that it's the best family film since Disney's Sky High three years ago.

And it kills me that I know this will be a bomb at the box office. It's sad that a majority of the films I have loved this year have all been DOA on release (the other two being the mishandled The Signal and the barely promoted Doomsday).
Old 05-09-08, 07:50 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I would also state that it's the best family film since Disney's Sky High three years ago.
Ratatouille, Madagascar, Narnia, were all better IMO.

I mean a baby gun?
Old 05-09-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, no dissing Sky High! (and um...Madagascar = turd)

Going to see Speed Racer today - trying to decide if I should drive 35 minutes to see it in IMAX or just see the local DLP presentation.
Old 05-09-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just came back from seeing it at a midnight IMAX screening.

I honestly don't know why it's getting bad reviews.

As corny and outright silly the film may be at times, it's heart is in the right place and it's easily, by far, one of the most entertaining movies to come out this year. While the film does run a few minutes too long, the flick packs more energy and excitement than all of last week's Iron Man.

Besides the breathtaking cinematography, editing and visual effects; this is what a summer movie is supposed to be. I would also state that it's the best family film since Disney's Sky High three years ago.

And it kills me that I know this will be a bomb at the box office. It's sad that a majority of the films I have loved this year have all been DOA on release (the other two being the mishandled The Signal and the barely promoted Doomsday).
Just curious, was there a decent crowd at your showing?
Old 05-09-08, 09:17 AM
Banned

Roger Ebert hated this movie as well.
He gave it 1.5 stars out of 4 stars.
Excerpt:
""Speed Racer" is a manufactured widget, a packaged commodity that capitalizes on an anthropomorphized cartoon of Capitalist Evil in order to sell itself and its ancillary products. Corporate partners in the venture include General Mills, McDonald's, Mattel, Topps, LEGO and Target, who have furnished no promotional consideration for mention in this review."

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Do kids today even know what the fuck Speed Racer is? The show use to be run on MTV late at night in the early 90s but the demographic Speed Racer is going for would've been about four or five.

Not counting the movie I've seen the cartoon maybe twice my whole life. Its just a different generation. I say maybe this is third at the box office but Iron Man will def be #1 again.
I don't think we can write off Speed Racer just yet. Wasn't everyone saying the same thing about Alvin and the Chipmunks just a few months ago?
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Ratatouille, Madagascar, Narnia, were all better IMO.

I mean a baby gun?
Ratatouille was good, but not my favorite PIXAR outing.

Madagascar was shit, just like every other DreamWorks animated outing (Aardman titles excluded).

I am not even going to start with how much I hated Narnia, and that's coming from someone who loved the book series when younger.

Just curious, was there a decent crowd at your showing?
Not by a long shot. 30-35 people in an auditorium that can hold 300.

Everyone I went with last night dug the movie, even the two people who came with us as they were bored and wanted something to do despite the fact they thought it looked like shit.

Speed Racer is what it is. A whacked-out live-action adaptation of what was originally a whacked-out anime that's geared for families. It's not Shakespeare. It's not the greatest movie ever made, but damn, is it entertaining.
Old 05-09-08, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Excerpt:
""Speed Racer" is a manufactured widget, a packaged commodity that capitalizes on an anthropomorphized cartoon of Capitalist Evil in order to sell itself and its ancillary products. Corporate partners in the venture include General Mills, McDonald's, Mattel, Topps, LEGO and Target, who have furnished no promotional consideration for mention in this review."
Has Roger Ebert changed his name to Jim Emerson?
Old 05-09-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Excerpt:
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Ebert decided to watch the movie and give it a positive review somewhere down the line. He seems to like the Wachowskis and anime and heart, so it's a good fit for him.

Til then, yeah, completely Jim Emerson's review.
Old 05-09-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excerpt:

They use corporate sponsors in movies now? Shocking.
Old 05-09-08, 09:47 AM

I would also state that it's the best family film since Disney's Sky High three years ago.
Yikes. I'm definitely not going to see it now.
Old 05-09-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And Ebert loved "Speed 2" and "The Haunting". I always remind myself that when I see a negative review of his.
Old 05-09-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This may be a cheap shows movie. Maybe.

I can't justifty paying $11 to see it today, though.
Old 05-09-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 328 Likes on 245 Posts
Besides the breathtaking cinematography, editing and visual effects; this is what a summer movie is supposed to be.
Matt, I'm wondering about two things that I look for in a film: story and acting. How are those?
Old 05-09-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Madagascar was shit, just like every other DreamWorks animated outing (Aardman titles excluded).

Hey Matthew:

I'm currently animating MADAGASCAR 2.

When I take my breaks from working on this film, I like to come onto dvdtalk.com and read comments like yours and realize that they make NO difference whatsoever.

-----

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 05-09-08 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-09-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Matt, I'm wondering about two things that I look for in a film: story and acting. How are those?
Okay, I'll take that as you got me at that one.
Old 05-09-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Hey Matthew:

I'm currently animating MADAGASCAR 2.

If and when you ever enter the movie-making biz, you'll realize how important it is to grow a thick skin to shield yourself from these kinds of comments by arnchair critics like you.
You don't appear to have thick skin at all Jeff. And Chimmel isn't wrong either.

RT rating - 56%
Metacritic - 57%

Objectively speaking, the movie was not good. You clearly have an emotional attachment to it that skews your view of it. But it's an average at best movie and is totally unmemorable.

Look before you leap my friend.
Old 05-09-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You don't appear to have thick skin at all Jeff. And Chimmel isn't wrong either.

RT rating - 56%
Metacritic - 57%

Objectively speaking, the movie was not good. You clearly have an emotional attachment to it that skews your view of it. But it's an average at best movie and is totally unmemorable.

Look before you leap my friend.

Look, dude. The movie made almost 200 mil, enough to spawn a sequel. Who's laughing now?

You guys can go collect your DVD's, rush out and buy tickets to movies on opening day, and then rush home to your computers to type in some opinions that will be read by a select few.

But in the end, when you look at the numbers, you armchair critics don't make one iota of difference.

Over and out.

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 05-09-08 at 12:20 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.