Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Two Star Wars questions (about Dooku and C3PO)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, in AOTC, why can't the ever powerful Dark Lord Dooku sense Obi Wan? Darth Vader can sense Luke on a shuttle a million miles away, but Count Dooku can't sense Obi Wan right above his friggin head eavesdropping in on his meeting and conversations?

And also in AOTC, C3PO calls Anakin the "Maker." In ANH, C3PO takes an oil bath and in the process thanks the "Maker" for the oil bath. So C3PO has a memory of his maker in episode four? I thought Lucas established the droids would have their memories erased so they wouldn't recall the events of the first three episodes, yet C3PO can still recall his maker? And I am assuming he is recalling who constructed him, as I doubt Lucas is giving the droids some kind of odd religion here.
Old 06-20-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Re: Two Star Wars questions (about Dooku and C3PO)

Originally posted by calhoun07
First, in AOTC, why can't the ever powerful Dark Lord Dooku sense Obi Wan? Darth Vader can sense Luke on a shuttle a million miles away, but Count Dooku can't sense Obi Wan right above his friggin head eavesdropping in on his meeting and conversations?
Luke's still a noob, and can't quite hide himself yet, plus he was nervous, and probably actively "pinging" for Vader. So Vader might have sensed that ping, and traced it back.

And also in AOTC, C3PO calls Anakin the "Maker." In ANH, C3PO takes an oil bath and in the process thanks the "Maker" for the oil bath. So C3PO has a memory of his maker in episode four? I thought Lucas established the droids would have their memories erased so they wouldn't recall the events of the first three episodes, yet C3PO can still recall his maker? And I am assuming he is recalling who constructed him, as I doubt Lucas is giving the droids some kind of odd religion here.
I think it's a generic term. Instead of a human saying "thank God" even if they're not particularly religious, a droid will say "thank the Maker". I'm pretty sure 3PO gets wiped, but R2 must have put a back door into his programming to allow him to remember. He knew his way around Tattooine, and he recocognized Obiwan.
Old 06-20-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Two Star Wars questions (about Dooku and C3PO)

Originally posted by milo bloom
Luke's still a noob, and can't quite hide himself yet, plus he was nervous, and probably actively "pinging" for Vader. So Vader might have sensed that ping, and traced it back.
Please. A co-worker tried to pull that excuse on me as well when I asked him the same question. If experienced Jedi are so great at cloaking themselves in the force then why did Vader sense Obi-Wan on the Death Star?
Old 06-20-04, 10:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The answer to all of your questions is simply: Lucas is making it up as he goes along, and rather than find continuity with the older films, he prefers to re-edit those older films to match the newer films instead.
Old 06-20-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
The answer to all of your questions is simply: Lucas is making it up as he goes along, and rather than find continuity with the older films, he prefers to re-edit those older films to match the newer films instead.
Yeah, well, that's true. Just like in his original treatment for Empire, Luke was going to form the romantic relationship with Leia and the "other" Yoda spoke of was a sister who wasn't even introduced in the movies yet. That's just one example of how he's made things up as he's gone along.
Old 06-20-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only reason why Vader and Luke can feel each other via the force is because they are father and son. Don't you remember when Vader went to the Emperor in Jedi and told him that a small rebel fleet went to Endor and that Luke was with them? The Emperor replied saying that it was some weird shit that he didn't feel Luke since he is stonger in the Dark Side than Vader and then told Vader to check himself before he wrecks himself.

Last edited by Lara Means; 06-20-04 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-20-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nerds!
Old 06-21-04, 01:17 AM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

And also in AOTC, C3PO calls Anakin the "Maker." In ANH, C3PO takes an oil bath and in the process thanks the "Maker" for the oil bath. So C3PO has a memory of his maker in episode four?
Well, Luke is not his "maker" so it's not a reference to him.

Seems more like just a generic quote like "thank god for this sexy oil massage" or "hell yeah, this feels good" or during sex "oh god, oh god"... but in Droid talk.

It is just a movie after all.
Old 06-21-04, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sure of course he's making it up as he goes along. What film series isn't like that? Honestly it's a little thing. Im'm happy to take whatever BS excuse there is. The droid's memories were wiped, that's why they don't remember. Milo Bloom's reasoning is fine by me for what is nothing more than a throwaway line in a fun space opera. But hey...that's me.
Old 06-21-04, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I thought that one of main problems during this time of unrest in the galaxy, is that the Force is somehow being manipulated in a bad way. For example, Yoda is constantly talking about how he can't detect the dark side and Palpatine is not being exposed as evil even when in the presence of numerous Jedis.

Even in Return of the Jedi didn't The Emperor say he could NOT detect Luke eventhough Vader could?

Not the Lucas was smart enough to write any of this...
Old 06-21-04, 05:27 AM

If you try to find continuity between the original trilogy and the prequels, you'll go MAD. MAD, I tells ya!
Old 06-21-04, 07:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Two Star Wars questions (about Dooku and C3PO)

Please. A co-worker tried to pull that excuse on me as well when I asked him the same question. If experienced Jedi are so great at cloaking themselves in the force then why did Vader sense Obi-Wan on the Death Star?
Simple...Obi-Wan wanted to be found by Vader on the Death Star. It was all part of the "big plan."
Old 06-21-04, 08:15 AM

good god its a movie! How do you come up with this $hit?!?!?!?
Old 06-21-04, 08:52 AM

Its clearly the father-son connection that allows Vader to find Luke because the emperor says he could not sense him.

And Obi-wan wanted to be found and wanted to die on that death star so he could turn into omnipresent Spirit Obi-Wan.
Old 06-21-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
good god its a movie! How do you come up with this $hit?!?!?!?
That's a pretty lame comment since this is Movie Talk.
Old 06-21-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Don't forget that Vader/Anakin was the strongest Jedi in the force, ever. It is possible that this, the father/son connection, Luke's limited training all played major roles in Vader detecting Luke and Dooku being oblivious.
Old 06-21-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Two Star Wars questions (about Dooku and C3PO)

Originally posted by milo bloom
Luke should have spoofed his IP. Then Vader wouldn't have been able to use a tracert to figure out where the ping was coming from. What a n00b !
Old 06-21-04, 11:17 AM
Retired

Perhaps Vader is much more powerful than Dooku, which seems like as the rumors have

Spoiler:
Anakin killing Dooku

But in all honesty, these are just fluff films (though I love them) and I'm sure there are a million little things you can nitpick with if you analyze them too closely.
Old 06-21-04, 11:39 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully all will be answered in Ep3.....if not, then poor Lucas whose going to be bashed over the internet forever.
Old 06-21-04, 02:41 PM

Ding ding ding! Give this man a cookie!
Old 06-21-04, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only problem Star Wars has is that it has had to endure 25 years of fanboys scrutinizing and obssessing over every niggling little detail. Most of the criticisms dealing with continuity issues aren't continuity problems at all. It's nothing more than fanboys having this need to have every little detail of Star Wars explained, most of which don't need any further explanation.

No, I'm not calling calhoun a fanboy nor is this post directed at his thread or his questions. Just in a general sense that there is a large group of people that have obssessed over these films way too much.

and rather than find continuity with the older films, he prefers to re-edit those older films to match the newer films instead.
In terms of story points, there's already continuity between the two trilogies. He's not changing the originals to achieve continuity. It already exists. He's changing the original films to help it match up visually with the new films. 99% of the changes are visual. None of the changes have anything to do with continuity except for replacing the Emperor in ESB with Ian McDiarmid.

The only other continuity error is Luke and Leia kissing in ESB, even though they're siblings. The only reason that one's a continuity error is because Lucas didn't decide to make them siblings from the very beginning. He waited until ROTJ to make them siblings. By then, it was too late. He should have thought of that beforehand.

Last edited by Terrell; 06-21-04 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Luke should have spoofed his IP. Then Vader wouldn't have been able to use a tracert to figure out where the ping was coming from. What a n00b !

Actually, I was thinking in submarine terms since I'm re-reading a bunch of Clancy right now, but that's pretty funny.

As for ObiWan on the Death Star, he might have been out of practice, or he might have been trying to send "low level pings" just to distract Vader from the others, and but Vader picked up on him anyways. Once he knew, Obiwan pretty much knew his fate was sealed.
Old 06-21-04, 04:11 PM

As far as Palpatine not sensing Luke on Endor while Vader could, I always interpreted that as Anakin being able to sense his son because both were using the Light Side of the Force. Obviously, Anakin/Vader was more evil than good at this point, but this scene confirmed Luke's suspicion that there was still good left in him. Whereas Palpatine was pure evil and Dark Side so he couldn't sense what Luke and Vader could.

And as far as Lucas making it up as he goes along, no argument here. But I'll give the man props for doing a pretty damn good job of it so far. My only gripe is that he might be retroactively editing the original films in order to not contradict the prequels, when it should be the other way around. That's lazy filmmaking IMO.
Old 06-21-04, 04:58 PM

I think that Vader can sense Luke and Obi-Wan because the force is with him more than any Jedi before. I also agree that in ANH Obi-Wan wanted Vader to find him so Luke Leia and Han could escape. Palpatine thinks he is the strongest in the force but he is wrong and Vader sensing Luke when he could not is proof.

BUT

I agree with Terrell. People have had waaaay too much time to nit-pick these films to death. Just watch em and enjoy em!
Old 06-21-04, 05:29 PM
Banned

To put it bluntly, because these prequels are lazy, throwaway films. Lucas doesn't give a shit so I'm sure he figures why should you?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.