Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

15 years ago, Licence to Kill premiered, lets remember

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

15 years ago, Licence to Kill premiered, lets remember

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why people slag Brosnan. Die another Day and Golden Eye were both pretty damn good IMO and TNK had its moments.
Old 06-17-04, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OHMSS is the BEST bond Period. Lazenby could have been THE Bond character, It's too bad.

Dalton's set peices are what ruined the film to me. They all look like boack lot set pieces. Boo!
Old 06-17-04, 01:40 PM
Suspended

While I have no problem with the movie (other than the Miami Vice feel to the production), and I think that Dalton got the short end of the stick as far as Bonds go, Licence to Kill will always be me "Damn people are stupid!" benchmark.

The movie was called Licence Revoked - like the John Gardner book of the same title. The name was changed when the film was test marketed - and audiances reported that they didnt know what "Revoked" meant.

Bah! Fools every one of them!
Old 06-17-04, 02:10 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the biggest problem I have with Licence to Kill is that it came out too soon in Dalton's 007 life. It's a radical departure and a very personal story, which is a great idea. But Dalton had only appeared in one other Bond film at that point. It still wasn't fully cemented in my head that "Dalton is James BOND". I think if they had at least one more "traditional" Bond movie in between Daylights and Licence it would have been better. As it stands, it didn't feel like I was watching James Bond in a drug dealer/revenge story. It felt like I was watching the guy who plays James Bond starring in a drug dealer/revenge story.
Old 06-17-04, 02:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by DRG
I think the biggest problem I have with Licence to Kill is that it came out too soon in Dalton's 007 life. It's a radical departure and a very personal story, which is a great idea. But Dalton had only appeared in one other Bond film at that point. It still wasn't fully cemented in my head that "Dalton is James BOND".
This was the exact problem I had with OHMSS as well.
Old 06-17-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never had much of a problem with OHMSS because when i saw it (like about a year or so ago) i was sorta used to various people playing Bond. Everyone said how bad this movie was but i didnt find it to be bad at all.

As for the orginal topic...i saw LTK in the theater and later on TV. I don't remember much of the flick but i do remember that the semi trucks doing wheelies and such was rather comical and reminds me alot of some crap pulled in a sillier Moore film.

Wayne Newton in a Bond flick = So very, very no!
Old 06-17-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm just watched License to kill again...

ya know what? i think there's no perfect Bond...

Connery: tall, brute, charming, legance, look good in uniform (Navy/military uniform) but aged very quick... dunno why

Moore: tall, funny, charming, looks good in uniform, doesn't age very fast but fight like a girl... c'mon this is supposed to be the famous secret agent, but he can't even move that fast...

Lazenby: wow! this guy is good looking... well, he was a model originally. can move fast during fighting scenes, too bad he can't act for shiet... well, at least he admited it that he doesn't know how to act.... can't really blame him

Dalton: a mixed between Moore & Conery... funny, brute, deadly, looks good in tux (never seen him in uniform), very aggressive (in fight) BUT... this guy is short. well, in the movie he looks short... too bad

Brosnan: technically, i think he's the closest thing to "the perfect Bond". looks good, good fighter, brute, charming, funny, elegance, doesn't age very fast.... too bad his movies suck (except GoldenEye... the rest ranged from so-so to blah)

:P
Old 06-18-04, 02:00 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
Dalton: a mixed between Moore & Conery... funny, brute, deadly, looks good in tux (never seen him in uniform), very aggressive (in fight) BUT... this guy is short. well, in the movie he looks short... too bad
I'll put forth that of all the actors thusfar, Dalton looked the closest to how Bond was described in the books. He was pretty damn close to how Flemming put Bond on the page.
Old 06-18-04, 01:59 PM

OHMSS the best bond movie with the worst bond
Old 06-18-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But Dalton had only appeared in one other Bond film at that point. It still wasn't fully cemented in my head that "Dalton is James BOND".
see, this was actually the reason why i latched on so quickly to Dalton in the role.
i just wasn't familiar with him anywhere else, so i wasn't coming into the film with "oh look...it's the Saint playing James Bond...or ...Hey Remington Steele isJames Bond!"

just like with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, or Chris Reeve as Superman...if i have to buy an iconic character, it helps a lot if i can disassociate the actor playing it to everything else but that role.
Old 06-18-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Andrew: We are really super villains now, like . . . like Dr. No
Warren: Yeah, back when Bond was Connery and the movies were decent.
Jonathon: Who remembers Connery? I mean, Roger Moore was smooth.
Warren: You’re insane. You’re short, and you’re insane.
Andrew: I like Timothy Dalton!

---
Warren: Connery is Bond. He had style.
Jonathan: Yeah, but Roger Moore was funny.
Warren: Moonraker? The gondola turns into a hovercraft? It’s retarded. Besides, the guy had, like, no edge.
Andrew: Dalton had edge. In License to Kill he was a rogue agent. That’s edgy. And he was amazing in The Living Daylights.
Jonathan: Yeah, which was written for Roger Moore, not Timothy Dalton!
Warren: Okay, this is stupid! We’re wasting time. End of discussion. …I mean, there’s a shot of like, pigeons, doing double takes when the gondola blasted by! Moonraker . . . is inexcusable.

---
Warren: Connery is the only actor in the bunch.
Andrew: Timothy Dalton should get an Oscar and beat Sean Connery over the head with it!
Old 06-19-04, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by Tscott
Andrew: We are really super villains now, like . . . like Dr. No
Warren: Yeah, back when Bond was Connery and the movies were decent.
Jonathon: Who remembers Connery? I mean, Roger Moore was smooth.
Warren: You’re insane. You’re short, and you’re insane.
Andrew: I like Timothy Dalton!

---
Warren: Connery is Bond. He had style.
Jonathan: Yeah, but Roger Moore was funny.
Warren: Moonraker? The gondola turns into a hovercraft? It’s retarded. Besides, the guy had, like, no edge.
Andrew: Dalton had edge. In License to Kill he was a rogue agent. That’s edgy. And he was amazing in The Living Daylights.
Jonathan: Yeah, which was written for Roger Moore, not Timothy Dalton!
Warren: Okay, this is stupid! We’re wasting time. End of discussion. …I mean, there’s a shot of like, pigeons, doing double takes when the gondola blasted by! Moonraker . . . is inexcusable.

---
Warren: Connery is the only actor in the bunch.
Andrew: Timothy Dalton should get an Oscar and beat Sean Connery over the head with it!

PRICELESS!!!!!!!

Thats my most memorable moment of Buffy the vampire slayer season six, when those lot talked about Bond and Dalton, it was friggen cool to see Dalton talked about in a series like Buffy, it was a funny scene as well, especially if your a Bond fan and enjoy Joss Whedon's shows.