Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Horror movie/Scene does it for you?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which Horror movie/Scene does it for you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I certainly agree with Exorcist III - easily one of the scariest movies of all time. And not just the sudden shocks, like that scene, but the conversations down in the cell are just soaked in terror.

The corn-meal scene in The Leopard Man (a Val Lewton-produced classic) is shocking and still gives me chills.

And here's one that definitely covers me in goose-bumps every time I see it: Return to Oz when Dorothy accidentally wakes up the head. Oh, man! Did kids have heart attacks when they saw this film? (Oh yeah, I forgot, nobody saw it. )

It's a rare film that can startle me - I see whole audiences jump at moments that I don't react to - but here are a couple of unexpected shocks that worked on me that aren't horrific:

The Arrival after Charlie Sheen chases the old Mexican guy down the streets, and has him cornered, but then looks away for a second...

Se7en when they visit an apartment that might be John Doe's, and someone is coming down the hallway with a paper bag in his arm...

But unquestionably the most violent physical reaction I've ever had to a movie is at the ending of The Sixth Sense. My wife seriously thought I was having a heart attack.
Old 06-16-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The original Night Of The Living Dead always scared since I was a kid, watching it on Creature Features.

But, Exorcist III freaked me out as a adult.
Old 06-16-04, 09:39 PM

I definitely agree with the floating head scene in Jaws. I just watched that for probably the 400th time a few nights ago, and it still give me the willies.

Also, the bathtub scene in The Shining has permanently scarred me. Just the mixture of sexuality and the grotesque, I don't think there's ever been a creepier scene.

Not the greatest movie in the world, but the scene in Halloween II where Jamie Lee Curtis is in the elevator and the door is sloowly closing? I know full well that her character will survive that moment, yet I always tense up. Halloween II is no Halloween, but the last fifteen minutes are unbearably tense.
Old 06-16-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally posted by Morf
A little off topic, but I never got that. It is correctly spelled 'cemetery,' isn't it? Why was the official title 'Pet Sematary?' Was it because the cemetery was founded by children?
exactly, it is spelled the way a child would spell it.
Old 06-16-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised so many others find "The Scene" in Exorcist 3 as scary as I did, I rarely hear anyone talk about it. It's been awhile since I've seen it, I'll have to re-watch it one of these days to see what makes that scene so good.

My personal favorite that scared the ever-loving shit out of me as a kid was the scene in 'Salem's Lot, when the kid-turned-vampire is floating outside his little brothers window, scratching on the glass. My bladder just let go just thinking about it.
Old 06-17-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In Opera, when the lady doesn't know if the killer's in her apartment, or outside her door. I've seen a lot of freaky movies, but that scene was just brilliant at building tension.
Also agree with Exorcist III and BWP, and Perfect Blue's got some pretty crazy scenes, like when the
Spoiler:
photographer bites it.
Old 07-06-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally posted by johnglass
I'm surprised so many others find "The Scene" in Exorcist 3 as scary as I did, I rarely hear anyone talk about it. It's been awhile since I've seen it, I'll have to re-watch it one of these days to see what makes that scene so good.
Easy answer - "the setup" is what makes it so damn freaky.
Old 07-06-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

horror films from the late 60s up until 1985

specifically moody atmospheric pictures that are slow moving and creepy.

anyone know any good forum sites for horror films of the such?
Old 07-06-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Parenthood w/Steve Martin scares the crap out of me.
Old 07-06-04, 11:52 PM

Hack and slash/gorefest movies never really bothered me, the scenarios are too contrived IMHO. Movies like What Lies Beneath (exlcuding the ending ) I've always found to be more "troubling" since we all hear creaks/bumps in the night.
Old 07-06-04, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
anyone know any good forum sites for horror films of the such?
My favorite horror sites are: http://www.terrortrap.com/
www.bloody-disgusting.com
http://www.creature-corner.com/
and finally http://joblo.com/arrow/reviews.htm
John's movie reviews are informative and usually hilarious.

Everybody's said great ones. The long chase through the woods in the original TCM really got me tense the first time I saw it b/c it was one of the few times I had seen the killer actually chase a victim. Usually they would just casually walk while the victim is running like crazy tripping over everything. This time the killer was running too, and that made it more realistic for me.

The whole first part of Stephen King's IT also scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. Especially the opening scene where Georgy is playing in the rain and his boat goes in the sewer drain. Tim Curry kicked ass as Pennywise.

Another one is pretty much any scene in Poltergeist 2 with Kane, the skinny old white dude in the black suit. I love the first film, but the second one has a lot of creepy parts too. The Jerry Goldsmith score adds so much to the film. The scenes where Carol Anne gets lost in the shopping mall and when Kane tries to force his way into their house especially freaked me out as a kid.

Being a huge Freddy fan, I have to mention Tina's drag up the wall in Nightmare on Elm Street, the bus ride opening and Grady's death in part 2, Phillip's suicide walk out of a window and the junkie girl's death in 3. Those are the most memorable ones to me. Johnny Depp getting sucked into his bed in 1 was great but didn't scare me as much as some of the others.
As big a horror fan as I am, I've never seen Exorcist 3. Reading all the raves about "the scene", I can't wait now! I'll even get my boyfriend to watch it too and see if it scares him.
Old 07-07-04, 01:37 AM

The "Tomoka" segment of JU-ON 2 (2003) is one of the most disturbing things that I've seen in years. The build-up and payoff are exquisite and there are images which stay with you long after the movie is done.
Old 07-07-04, 01:45 AM

The closet scene in The Ring.

Scared me almost as bad as the aforementioned Exorcist 3 scene.
Old 07-07-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
End scene in Blair Witch.
Much of In The Mouth of Madness.
Friday the 13th Part 2(?) where the girl is in the middle of the pond and Jason jumps out to drag her under.
Jacob's Ladder whenever he would see people just freaking out and shaking vigoursly (such as when the car is driving away and he looks into the back window). That's the stuff that gives me goosebumps.

Last edited by steebo777; 07-07-04 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-07-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Giggling Shemps in Evil Dead scared me good.

Linda Blair thrashing around violently in bed before the full-blown possession.

The Banshee in Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Heck, I was 5!

King Kong busting through the gate and stomping the villagers. If the wall was built to keep Kong out, why did they build the gate big enough for him to walk through?
Old 07-07-04, 01:10 PM

I have seen the ending of Carrie many times over the years and it still scares the living crap out of me every time I see it. Also, at the end of When a Stranger Calls when the killer reveals himself.
Old 07-07-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts
my most recent, favorite scene is from,

THE EYE

Spoiler:
the hallway scene in the hospital. where you can vaguely see the ghost of the old woman behind the girl, and she makes that weird sound. the whole scene building up to it is scary. hospitals + night + hallways= no.
Old 07-07-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Tales of Two Sisters has 3 really freaky scenes. the first one totally creeped me out despite borrowing some of the ring type effects.

the but real deal was shortly after the dinner party. oh man.
Old 07-07-04, 04:44 PM
Cool New Member

I have to say at the theater the Scene in Silence of the Lambs where buffalo bill was following around starling in the basement with those nightvision goggles freaked the hell out of me. It wasn't a jumpout of your seat scare but a "can't sit still and watch" tension.
Old 07-08-04, 12:00 PM

Although it's not a horror movie the "squel like a pig" scene in Deliverance always gave me the creeps. Whenever I see I just cringe.
Old 07-08-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1) Exorcist 3 - nurse scene

2) The Thing (1982) - blood test scene

3) Candyman - project's outdoor bathroom scene

4) The Ring (2002) - opening scene & the TV scene at the end

5) The Sixth Sense - Haley Joel in the tent

Special mentions: The Shining (1979), Pet Semetary

Last edited by matome; 07-08-04 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-10-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know I am resurrecting this thread, but I just watched Exocist III for the first time. I did jump during
Spoiler:
the nurse scene, but the old Lady on the ceiling freaked me out too there is something about when something moves unnaturally that gets me

I agree with a lot of the things that you guys have already written. My list...

1. Spider walk in The Exorcist:TVYNS
This is by far the scaries thing I have ever seen. I think this goes along with the unatural movements being freaky.
2. Zelda in Pet Cemetary.
This has given me so many nightmares since I saw it in 1989 when I was 11. I watched it a College with a couple girls a few years ago, and the next day I went to a local Italian market for some manicoti. The woman who runs it keeps her mother in the back room. The old crippled woman said "Rrrraaaachel," to the woman ringing me up and I seriously almost passed out. I dropped the frozen manicotti and spun around like Zelda was going to be coming after me. It seriously freaked me out.
3. The end of Prince of Darkness.
Spoiler:
when Brian wakes up and for a split second,Catherine is beside him, but her face is all covered in sores like the woman who ingested all of the green fluid.

4. the tent scene in Sixth Sense
Spoiler:
when the little girl throws up on him, it really freaks me out. My fiance and I watched this movie, i was afraid to get out of bed and go to the bathroom after this scene.

5. the end of the Blair Witch Project
People who didn't see this before it got eviserated by all the copies and huge media coverage never have the same view of it. I have a friend who thinks anyone that was frightened by this film is ridiculous and no matter how hard i try, I can't explain how creepy it was before it got mass exposure and everyone took shots at it.
Spoiler:
the guy in the corner at the end falls into the catagory of unnatural things, and I, like i said above, am always freaked out by that.

other: Edited to add that the guy in the alley in Mullholland Drive scared the bejesues out of me.

Everytime I see the commercial for the grudge, they show that kid with the big eyes and mouth and that kinda freaks me out.
I know i just regurgitated a lot of what was said, but those are the things that scared me too...

Last edited by ivelostr2; 10-10-04 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-10-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The most chilling moment that I have ever seen in all of my years of watching film would be the scene in The Eye when...

Spoiler:
...on the subway, Mun realizes her refection is not her own.

It wasn't a cheap "BOO, GOTCHA!" scare, and it wasn't a sorry "oh wow that's so gross that's scary" scare. It was just downright chilling all the way to the bone, and to me...that's an even greater horror.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 10-10-04 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-10-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I thought I already responded to a similar topic, but here's a description I had on why the ORIGINAL Texas Chainsaw Massacre irked me.

Another:

Black Christmas- The way the final scene of the movie slowly, slowly, slowly, takes you to the room of the house that you DON'T want to visit.
Old 10-29-04, 01:00 PM

Agreed on Exorcist 3. I didn't even like the movie, but I definitely remember feeling spooked and uneasy after watching it because it had a lot of creepy scenes that stuck with me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.