Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you watch movies in theatres by yourself?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you watch movies in theatres by yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I have unresolved paranoia issues ;-P

I have never done it. But I think the main reason being .. I hate theaters. Everone gets angry when I ask them to pause the movie while I unload the gallon of Mountain Dew I drank trying to wash down the over salted popcorn.

I am 6'3 1/2 Those seats are very uncomfortable.

While I am at it ... please turn down the AC.

Oh .... and smack the little kid making the f@rt noises.
Old 06-11-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do it all the time. In fact, I have come to dislike the times when I have to go with other people (i.e. when a bunch of friends want to get together to go see a big movie as a group).

Watching a movie is the most un-sociable activity there is. I mean, if your attention is totally given over to experiencing a movie (as it should be), well that leaves very little attention left over for social interaction. And if you *do* happen to socially interact with others in a theater, you're likely to get a bucket of popcorn thrown at you -- and deservedly so.

Unless your express purpose is to make out with your girlfriend/wife/mistress/puppy/whatever, there really is no reason to go with someone else.
Old 06-11-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sessa17
Like I posted, if that is what someone resorts to, then that's cool. I still don't understand it, if that is what someone is, I feel for them, going to the movies should be fun, not a last resort b/c you have no one to go with or are to impatient for the DVD. I guess I should be grateful I have a cool girlfriend & lots of friends.
Yet you are going back to the argument that the person who goes to the theatre alone doesn't have friends. Plenty of people in this thread like going alone. I am sure a lot of them have friends.
Old 06-11-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by conscience
Yet you are going back to the argument that the person who goes to the theatre alone doesn't have friends. Plenty of people in this thread like going alone. I am sure a lot of them have friends.
Dude, read my posts, I never said that someone who goes to the theater alone doesn't have friends. I didn't even hint at that, I made my initial post answering the thread questions & then someone quoted asking me "what about the person that doesn't have friends?" To which I said there is nothing wrong w/ that, it just doesn't apply to me & I don't understand how one could be in the position.
Old 06-11-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I rarely go to restaurants alone, and even then it's usually take out or fast food. Thing is, I never think twice when I see someone by themselves, yet I don't like doing it myself

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Oddly...or perhaps not oddly...I would feel uncomfortable going to a restaurant, concert or sporting event by myself. Anyone else like this? No problem with movies, but a problem with the rest?
Old 06-11-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude, read my posts, I never said that someone who goes to the theater alone doesn't have friends. I didn't even hint at that, I made my initial post answering the thread questions & then someone quoted asking me "what about the person that doesn't have friends?" To which I said there is nothing wrong w/ that, it just doesn't apply to me & I don't understand how one could be in the position.

I guess I should be grateful I have a cool girlfriend & lots of friends.
Old 06-11-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only gone to one movie by myself, that I can remember: Good Will Hunting.

It was an ok experience. There is something nice about being able to talk to someone about the movie when its over... also nice sitting next to someone familiar.

I have nothing against doing it though and would consider doing it again.

I've eaten at restaurants by myself many times... it's better if you have something to read.
Old 06-11-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DodgingCars
I've eaten at restaurants by myself many times... it's better if you have something to read.
It's better to just sit down with a notepad and start scribbling furiously throughout the meal. That way people will think you're a reviewer on assignment. If you're lucky, you'll get a free meal out of it.
Old 06-11-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Flave
Watching a movie is the most un-sociable activity there is. I mean, if your attention is totally given over to experiencing a movie (as it should be), well that leaves very little attention left over for social interaction.
I absolutely agree. I dislike watching movies with someone in a home setting as well. Movies are much more than simple entertainment to me, and it's hard to watch them with someone who doesn't experience them the same way.

I went to a movie with a co-worker who kept chomping his popcorn and talking back to the screen -- THAT won't happen again. Used to go with a boyfriend who kept rubbing my hand during the movie -- I HATED that, it's distracting.
Old 06-12-04, 12:07 AM

yeap i like to go by myself. sometimes my wife doesn't like to see the same movies, like chronicles of riddick i went to see today. and sometimes i go back a couple of times to see the same movie. it gives me some alone time with something i enjoy, which is nice.
Old 06-12-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
It's time to make new friends.
And cover your tracks.

KILL KILL KILL!
Old 06-12-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most often by myself...
Old 06-12-04, 09:26 AM

Only when prowling for little boys.

Other than that, I usually end up going with someone.
Old 06-12-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some people, going to the movies is more of a social event. I usually go to the movies for the movie alone (not that the two have to be mutually exclusive, mind you). So yeah, I have no problems going to movies alone---and I do it quite often. That being said, I'll still usually see a movie a week with friends as well.
Old 06-12-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm in the camp that says a movie is really anti-social by nature. Atleast I would like it to be. Nothing that kills a movie going experience like someone trying to talk to you or ask you about the film. Talking about it afterwards is alright but even then I kind of find it annoying. Walking out you get asked what you thought. for many films it takes me a few hours to tell for sure what I liked about it and what I thought flat out sucked.

I'd rather go alone. It makes for a better time and if I want to talk to folks about it I can easily press to the thread talking about it.

I gladly go by myself.
Old 06-12-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
If my wife doesn't want to see the movie, then I have no problem going to see it by myself.
Old 06-12-04, 12:14 PM

never gone by myself, and wouldnt even if it meant missing out on seeing a movie in the theatres and waiting for DVD (e.g Hidalgo)

going to the movies is a social event, say ur going to a BIG movie...say HP3 or Spidey 2, u get there early to ensure good seats and that u get a ticket....ur waiting around for like half an hr to an hr....ur gonna be pretty bored if u go alone?!!?

unless of course u dnt go when its busy, but how can u tell when its not gonna be busy? i mean i went to see HP3 today and it was still packed after a week (which is understandable i know but yea)

so ya anyways, ....

G x
Old 06-12-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I nearly always go alone since my favorite movie-going friend lives 315 miles and two mountain passes away. Much as I like company at movies, I learned 20 years ago that if I didn't learn to see movies alone I wasn't going to go to very many. A bit awkward at first, now I don't even think twice about it.

I often see nodding acquaintances at movies (small town, 2 theaters, five total screens) but not people that I usually socialize with. I go to fewer movies now that I have a good HT setup. Curiously enough, I see far more movies with friends at home, because visitors ALWAYS want to see my home theater in action.

Kudos to the original poster: this is one of the more original and interesting threads of late.
Old 06-12-04, 12:30 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
If I have to, yes I will.

With three kids at home and a wife that doesn't want to see the film or will wait until DVD, I find myself calling up a friend and going with them, or just going by myself.

So far the only film I've seen this year by myself was Harry Potter.

My buddy that I go to the movies with all the time just got transfered a few weeks ago to Phoenix... so that kind of sucks. And my other movie buddy is moving as soon as they sell their house.

Good news is that I'll be going to my folks place for a month long vacation in June/July, so I can hit all of those releases with my brothers and their wives and our folks will be automatic babysitters!

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-12-04 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-12-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by n0fear88
...going to the movies is a social event, say ur going to a BIG movie...say HP3 or Spidey 2, u get there early to ensure good seats and that u get a ticket....ur waiting around for like half an hr to an hr....ur gonna be pretty bored if u go alone?!!?
I take a magazine or book and read (the light is usually good enough... barely).

unless of course u dnt go when its busy, but how can u tell when its not gonna be busy? i mean i went to see HP3 today and it was still packed after a week (which is understandable i know but yea)...
Here the matinee on opening day for HP3 was barely 1/3 full (I was surprised, although there were lots more for the first evening show). In lines for movies like HP3 or LOTR it is fun just to watch and listen or talk to the others nearby. Doesn't have to be someone one knows.
Old 06-12-04, 09:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Most of the time I go by myself because I don't know many people with tastes like mine and also when I have gone with a crowd it's usually a group decision to see the latest Hollywood blockbuster "Michael Bay" type crapfest when I would rather go by myself to see some foreign or indie flick. To me movie going isn't a social experience, I go to immerse myself into the world of the film. If I want a social experience I'll go to a strip club. :-)
Old 06-12-04, 10:12 PM

More often than not I end up going by myself, which I don't mind. I ask others if they want to go and if nobody does, no big deal, I just go myself.
Old 06-12-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I used to never got to the movies by myself but then I realized it wasn't a big deal and I have no problem catching a matinee by myself. The theater is usually sparsely populated, the lines are short and you can find centered seats easily. Whenever my wife doesn't want to check out a film, I just sneak away.
Old 06-12-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never have, but I've never really had the opportunity. Most of the movies I see my girlfriend wants to watch too, so I have her for company. For movies I want to see but she doesn't, I usually have a friend with the same tastes as me that invites me to go with him.
Old 06-13-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm a total loner, so I rarely see it with friends.

I hate silly comments and the taps on the shoulder anyways. Also, like someone said previously, if I wanted friends to go with me, I'd never see ANYTHING.

I used to be very insecure about going by myself, but I've gotten over it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.