Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Someone tell what Muholland Drive was about. (SPOILERS)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I watched this on Trio the other day. With the long and frequent commercials and slow pace, I really had a hard time concentrating.

Because I was told this movie has the same weirdness and surprise ending like Fight Club and Memento, I gave it a shot, but it was hell......

Finally, 10 min before it ended, I stopped watching . I couldn't take it anymore. However, I have invested some time in it so I like to know what I missed.
Old 06-09-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why you watched it on commercial tv is beyond acceptible (you missed the lesbo scene for one)

anyways, heres a good site for ya
http://dir.salon.com/ent/movies/feat...sis/index.html
go figure but i found about that article in the mature forum
originally posted by cheapbastid
Spoiler:
Watts kills herself at the beginning shot of the film and in the moment before death tries to re-live her 'coming to hollywood' experience as a wonderful mystery. Reality creeps into the fantasy slowly but surely as her real relationship with Harring emerges, and the demons close in.
another long article
http://www.themodernword.com/mulholland_drive.html
oh and now the dvd is in the cheapo bin so it should be about 9.99 at most b&ms (no chapter skips though)

Last edited by Rypro 525; 06-09-04 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-09-04, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
why you watched it on commercial tv is beyond acceptible (you missed the lesbo scene for one)
Because I wasn't sure it was worth a purchase and I've waited and waited for it to come on HBO, MAX, TMC, SHOW, but it didn't happen. So I recorded it on HDD and found myself either fast forwarding a lot or leaving it on with commercials while I cook and do the dishes .

Hmmmm now I know the spoilers, it makes me want to watch it again. See, I hate this kind of movie . They're boring but if you're willing to bore yourself, you'll be rewarded. Same with Fight Club... I didn't really watch it until I found out what it was about.
Old 06-09-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
There was long ass thread about this movie close to two years ago, hopefully somebody will dig it up and find it.
Old 06-09-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Also, this is a movie you have to pay total attention to or else it is indeed boring.

Watch it, pay close attention, and you'll be rewarded (and likely entertained).
Old 06-09-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
First 3/4 - Dream. Why the director? Why the cowboy? Why the switched around names? It's the way things work in dreams. It was a way of justifying what's happening in her own mind. A fantasy doesn't work if you just throw yourself into success. There has to be reasoning, or there's no fantasy.

The first few shots are of her sleeping, as far as I know; not of her putting a gun to her head.

Last 1/4 - Harsh reality (with the brief masturbation fantasy). Her pathetic life is revealed. And the demons are creeping in.

Sorry for ruining the fun.
Old 06-09-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put me on the list of people who were not impressed by this movie.
Old 06-09-04, 10:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Put me on the list of people who were not impressed by this movie.
Done!
Old 06-09-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you couldn't stick it out till the end you don't deserve to have it explained to you.
Old 06-09-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea, seriously, if you don't pay one hundred percent attention and watch it without any breaks from beginning to end, then you just wasted your time.

By the way, the film is up for interpretation, no one has the right answers. If you don't like to think, then forget it.
Old 06-09-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This isn't a movie like Fight Club or Memento really. It's not a mystery or suspense building up to a twist ending. Instead it's a free flowing film, almost like watching a dream. You make of it what you want. One poster said first 3/4th dream, last 1/4th harsh reality. That's one way at looking at it. But really, there is no right answer...

It's a beautiful movie, but you really can't approach it as traditional narrative. It's unique.
Old 06-09-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Drop
By the way, the film is up for interpretation, no one has the right answers.
The film is much more literal (or, at least that was Lynch's intention) than a lot of people think.
Old 06-10-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The film is much more literal (or, at least that was Lynch's intention) than a lot of people think.
His tagline - "A Love Story In The City Of Dreams" - is one of the most relavent I've ever seen for a movie.
Old 06-10-04, 06:29 AM

Dum, da dum, da da da da da da da da da dum, da dum...
Old 06-10-04, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Luc TC
So I recorded it on HDD and found myself either fast forwarding a lot or leaving it on with commercials while I cook and do the dishes
What a ridiculous way to watch one of the best movies of it's year
Old 06-10-04, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Luc TC
So I recorded it on HDD and found myself either fast forwarding a lot or leaving it on with commercials while I cook and do the dishes .

Hmmmm now I know the spoilers, it makes me want to watch it again. See, I hate this kind of movie . They're boring but if you're willing to bore yourself, you'll be rewarded. Same with Fight Club... I didn't really watch it until I found out what it was about.
Frankly I don't think you should watch it. You clearly don't have enough interest to make watching the film worth your time. Your mentality indicates to me that it's just not for you.
Old 06-10-04, 01:22 PM

If anyone's interested, there's an MP3 commentary available for the film that was recorded by a couple of guys from Flak Magazine.

This is one of my favorite movies ever, and you definitely have to put down the remote and watch it without fast-forwarding or cooking or whatever. I didn't find it boring at all, but I can see how having to sit through commercials would ruin the experience.
Old 06-11-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
One of my top ten favorite films of all time. Well worth watching over and over, albeit a bit freaky by yourself. I really don't understand how anyone could watch this while doing something else or fast-forwarding. Although at my last film festival, this film was playing at about 10pm on Saturday night... let's just say we were a bit intoxicated
Old 06-11-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by troystiffler
The first few shots are of her sleeping, as far as I know; not of her putting a gun to her head.
I agree. The theory that she shoots herself at the very beginning, and then the movie shows what happens in her mind while she is dying doesn't work for me. It doesn't make any sense, and I'm certainly not buying it took her more than two hours to die from a gunshot to the head!

I prefer a much more literal approach. Once you get past the intentionally confusing editing, the movie is actually pretty chronological.

Spoiler:
Her dream takes place after she's hired a killer. So the dream is actually a manifestation of her guilt and shattered hopes. I mean, we even see her wake up two hours into the movie, and then see the blue key confirming her worst fear that she had gone ahead and committed this horrible crime. That's pretty clear cut if you ask me. Then there's some other scenes - again with editing that, as a personal annoyance to me, is intentionally confusing - which are actually flashbacks explaining what happened and influenced the dream. One of the flashbacks occurs while she is on the couch having some... umm... personal time. Finally, overcome by guilt and depression, she shoots herself in the end.
Old 06-11-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by rennervision
It doesn't make any sense, and I'm certainly not buying it took her more than two hours to die from a gunshot to the head!
Dream Team Real Time (just because it seems like 2 hours or 2 weeks or 2 months in a dream, it could be mere seconds in the "real" world--that's how real dreams work, anyway).

Still, while I like the dream explanation, it's not the only valid one.