Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jaws 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
Actually, even tho JAWS 3-D had characters named Sean and Michael Brody, they weren't exactly Martin's kids. And there were 2 sharks - mother and offspring.

From the screenplay by JAWS 1 and 2 scribe CARL GOTTLIEB, the characters of Michael and Sean Brody in JAWS 3-D were of course the sons of Roy Scheider's character from the previous films!

I mean, Dennis Quaid, aka Michael Brody, DOES mention his father back in Amity who's afraid to go in the water.

And Sean Brody mentions to his gf (Lea Thompson) that he doesn't go into the water because "something that happened to him as a kid" - perhaps seeing people getting eaten by sharks 5 feet away from him?
Old 06-02-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The less said of Jaws 4 the better. It was equally as bad as Superman IV, and both films pretty much single handedly destroyed their respective franchises (not that there was much left in them). Jaws 2 at least is a bit of a guilty pleasure that has its moments -- but lacking the wonderful chemistry of Shaw-Scheider-Dreyfuss from the first film, it pretty much was a horror movie at sea that didn't have the same fun.

I remember when I saw Jaws 4 for the first time, I was on vacation in Hong Kong in 1988, and the hotel PPV was offering it. One thing that struck me about this cut (European cut? Hotel edit?) was that the violence was so watered down that it was practically and laughably non-existent. For instance, when Ellen confronts the shark for the final time, instead of showing the shark becoming a shishkabob, it was replaced with the explosion of the shark from the first film! And the Mario Van Peebles character survives at the very end, albeit as a a floating, bloody pulp (the shark let go of him, he explains).
Old 06-02-04, 07:13 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rennervision
Then just basically go with the original idea of kids trapped out in the ocean with the shark hunting them. Of course, I assume Richard Dreyfuss was not interested in a sequel.
As I seem to recall, both Richard and Steven were intrested in doing the follow up - but were tied up with shooting CE3K.
Old 06-02-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
(Hey Jack!)

Yeah, I've only seen the theatrical version of JAWS 4 once on TBS or something (where they actually show the shark impaled on the staff and Mario Van Peebles dies).....not that it makes the movie any better.

But JAWS 2 is still a good effort, in my opinion.
Old 06-02-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Actually, the uncut impalement was pretty cool. Mario van Peebles surviving, was pretty bad. They cut away from his head barely protruding from the shark's mouth leaving a huge trail of blood.
Old 06-02-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Jaws 2. But it's in a tough position to have follow such an incredible movie. And it really didn't need a sequel. I wind up watching it every time it's on tv. But what really seperates this from the original, in a bad way, is that 2 just isn't even close to being believable.
Old 06-03-04, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Amel
I love Jaws 2. But it's in a tough position to have follow such an incredible movie. And it really didn't need a sequel. I wind up watching it every time it's on tv. But what really seperates this from the original, in a bad way, is that 2 just isn't even close to being believable.
Either is #1 though.

Look, I know JAWS is in a class by itself. But taken JAWS 2 on it's own merits, it was a hell of alot better than most other movies of it's kind.

Hey, anybody out there old enough remember ORCA

Another great film, wish it was on DVD!
Old 06-03-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could be wrong but I think Orca: The Killer Whale just got announced for the fall....Paramount I think? Thats where they redo Quints deth on an iceberg? That movie is nuts!
Old 06-06-04, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by xfilekr
I could be wrong but I think Orca: The Killer Whale just got announced for the fall....Paramount I think? Thats where they redo Quints deth on an iceberg? That movie is nuts!
Are you serious? Awsome! Nice little killer whale movie!
Old 06-06-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Ha! That is sweet. I remember Orca. It was on HBO all the time when I was like 10.
Jaws 2 was good but not great like the first one.
The third one was entertaining but I watched it recently and realized how hokey it was compared to the first 2.
And Jaws 4 was horrible. Not one redeeming quality about it. Even the shark was awful. They could replace the shark with shots of floating turds and it would be scarier.
Old 06-06-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by xfilekr
Why would they redo Nolan's death? I always liked the beauty shot of the Orca breaching while the town burns in the background.
Old 06-06-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't mean that paramount is going back and reediting or redoing anything, I was just saying if I remembered the movie correctly someone died almost the same exact death as Quint from JAWS. Sorry for the confusion.