Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

(Good?) News about NEW Superman Movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warner is aiming for a Summer 2006 release. My understanding is that Nicolas Cage will NOT be in the title role, but it doesn't matter because:

[BOLD]THE GOOD NEWS:[/BOLD] McG is directing (from Charlie's Angels). This news means one thing: The movie will suck and I can save my $10. Thanks, Warner, for allowing me to keep ahold of a few bucks and a few hours in 2006. I plan to invest the $10 and watch the interest roll in!
Old 06-01-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh jesus. is McG really going to direct? well there goes that one.

MTV EDITING ALL THE WAY!!!1111
Old 06-01-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Nic Cage not in the movie? McG directing? This info is OLD news!
Old 06-01-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this is a surprise to anybody.. well, joke's on you.
Old 06-01-04, 03:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
oh jesus. is McG really going to direct? well there goes that one.

MTV EDITING ALL THE WAY!!!1111
You're basing this thinking off the two ANGELS movies and FASTLANE, right?

Well, those were supposed to be flashy productions.

I'm giving McG the benefit of the doubt. I think he can pull it off, maybe not Donner style, but something respectful.

Landing Jessica Biel as Lois Lane (the latest rumor) would help matters greatly.

Time will tell.
Old 06-01-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The Superman movie rumours been circulating on the web for a long while, I even think that they started before the "Batman Begins" movie and look, the Superman movie is still in development hell with no script, no director, no cast while they are filming the Batman movie.

Has it been confirmed that McG will be the director? Is this just speculations? I'll wait to comment until they make an official announcement (when that will be, its anybody guess).

Last edited by LorenzoL; 06-01-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-01-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This news is about 2 years old.
Old 06-01-04, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by LorenzoL
the Superman movie is still in development hell with no script, no director, no cast while they are filming the Batman movie.
Well, they have a script (written by J.J. Abrams), and yes, McG is the current director.
Old 06-01-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[snip]Has it been confirmed that McG will be the director? Is this just speculations? I'll wait to comment until they make an official announcement (when that will be, its anybody guess).
According to a website that knows all about UpcomingMovies, yes, McG is confirmed. - And it was just confirmed a week ago, so before then it was speculation.
Old 06-01-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the problem is that Superman is a different character than Hellkid and Punished Guy. He's not exxxtreme, he's not a gothy bad ass, he's not going to listen to the hottest techno numetal song while shooting guns at people in a trenchcoat.

Superman is a goody-two-shoes boy scout of justice.

Now, comic book movies are a sizzling hot property right now and Superman is probably the biggest household name for a comic book character. Warner Bros. knows this, and they want to cash in. I fully expect them to take some liberties with the character in order to cater to the PG-13 MTV kids and to get a good chance to promote MTV's "Band of the Week" in the trailers.

McG is an easy choice to do this, I guess. I've only seen the first Angels movie, but from word of mouth on this forum, he sounds pretty much like they guy to hire to make stuff blow up.
Old 06-01-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
Well, they have a script (written by J.J. Abrams), and yes, McG is the current director.
Well if this is all true and they use that godawful script of Abrams in which Luthor
Spoiler:
is a kryptonian
than good luck with this movie franchise because it's going down the toilet.
Old 06-01-04, 04:35 PM

Well if this is all true and they use that godawful script of Abrams in which Luthor
Spoiler:
is a kryptonian
than good luck with this movie franchise because it's going down the toilet.
That script, which worked the Aint It Cool crowd into a fanboy lather, has been rewritten.
Old 06-01-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by scott shelton
You're basing this thinking off the two ANGELS movies and FASTLANE, right?

Well, those were supposed to be flashy productions.

I'm giving McG the benefit of the doubt. I think he can pull it off, maybe not Donner style, but something respectful.

Landing Jessica Biel as Lois Lane (the latest rumor) would help matters greatly.

Time will tell.
The guy came from that background. Sure, many directors can bend what they know and do something completely different. But the only things this man has done is MTV style editing. Hell, he is the king of that format. From his music videos to his films. It's not the style of the movie that made him do it, it was his style that was shown on the screen. Simple as that. Look at Mission impossible, another TV <-> Film project. Did it use that mtv editing style? nope. McG's style is like that and it's going to be hard to believe that he can change that fact.
Old 06-01-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You think after the last two Superman movies many years ago that they would know not what to do. From what I have read, they want to make it into something that will appeal to the younger crowds especially if they have given it to MC G.
I have nothing against Beyonce but she is not right for the part of Lois and should be considered for it. The names that I have read for possible CC/Superman casting sounds really pitiful as well. What are they thinking?
I've been reading shaky stuff about the remake of Fantastic 4 as welll which really is scary.

McG is an easy choice to do this, I guess. I've only seen the first Angels movie, but from word of mouth on this forum, he sounds pretty much like they guy to hire to make stuff blow up.
Explosions are great and everything but Superman is not about explosions, its about story and if they are planning on making a big Brucheimer type movie, I'll sit this one out.
Old 06-01-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those of you saying "This is old news", I am aware that there's been talk and rumors for the last couple or more years about a new Superman movie. I knew about Nicolas Cage and the possibility of McG. But it was confirmed a week ago that McG would be directing, so I posted this since the confirmation was made, recently.
Old 06-01-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
McG's not even good enough to direct a STEEL remake.
Old 06-01-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by modfather
For those of you saying "This is old news", I am aware that there's been talk and rumors for the last couple or more years about a new Superman movie. I knew about Nicolas Cage and the possibility of McG. But it was confirmed a week ago that McG would be directing, so I posted this since the confirmation was made, recently.
He was also confirmed before and then the project went to Bret Rattner (Red Dragon, Rush Hour flicks) and now it seems it's McG again. With the seemingly endless revolving door of directors being (re)attached to this, I still wouldn't carve this recent fact in stone.
Old 06-01-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, talks broke down with McG over a year ago, so his name has been attached for some time. But apparently he and Abrams (screenwriter) are "firmly in place". So take it with a grain of salt, as anything can happen.

But if they're both in, I'm outtie...
Old 06-01-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
If anyone wants a look into the direction Supes is probably headed, I'd recommend renting "an Evening with Kevin Smith." Granted it has been a few years since he did a script, and Tim Burton and Nic Cage were attached. But do you really think WB has pulled their heads out of their asses this quick? Just following the plot ideas, and revolving directors proves it. I mean Beyonce as Lois? Johnny Depp as a kryptonian FBI agent Lex Luthor? A superman that doesn't fly? No red and blue suit? How about the gay jimmy olson? The list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them the best of luck and hope they can pull it off. But I don't see it happening. I see them casting Justin Timberlake as Jimmy Olson in the near future. The suits at WB are trying to make a marketing frenzy, not a movie.
Old 06-01-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
If anyone wants a look into the direction Supes is probably headed, I'd recommend renting "an Evening with Kevin Smith." Granted it has been a few years since he did a script, and Tim Burton and Nic Cage were attached. But do you really think WB has pulled their heads out of their asses this quick? Just following the plot ideas, and revolving directors proves it. I mean Beyonce as Lois? Johnny Depp as a kryptonian FBI agent Lex Luthor? A superman that doesn't fly? No red and blue suit? How about the gay jimmy olson? The list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them the best of luck and hope they can pull it off. But I don't see it happening. I see them casting Justin Timberlake as Jimmy Olson in the near future. The suits at WB are trying to make a marketing frenzy, not a movie.
I imagine that "cute guy from The O.C." (or some similar young "hunk") will likely get cast as Supe, to boot.

OOOH! I just thought of who can play him: Hayden Christensen!
Old 06-01-04, 07:25 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
McG's not even good enough to direct a STEEL remake.

Old 06-01-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I'd actually prefer Brett Ratner. Add in Chris Tucker as Jimmy Olsen and we got a blockbuster on our hands.

(In high pitched voice)"What the hell you doin. No more flying. You eva wonda why you dont see no black superman!?"
Old 06-01-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Superman is just a total mess! I just dont see this film taking off anytime soon.
Old 06-01-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by modfather
Actually, talks broke down with McG over a year ago, so his name has been attached for some time. But apparently he and Abrams (screenwriter) are "firmly in place". So take it with a grain of salt, as anything can happen.

But if they're both in, I'm outtie...
Yeah, i dont really consider this any real news. You have a link or a source for this confirmation? I didn't notice anything on superherohype which is usually on the ball for these things.
Old 06-01-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
BREAKING NEWS: Richard Donner was fired from Superman II. More as this develops...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.