Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Van Helsing" -- is it a bomb?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Van Helsing" -- is it a bomb?

Old 06-02-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JasonF
Production budget: $160 million
Advertising budget: $50 million
U.S. revenues: $110 million
Foreign revenues: $130 million

It's made Universal a $30 million/15% profit to date, which is good but not great. I'd call it an underperformer.
It is important to not that with 240 million in box office revenue, Universal will probably see at most 60% of that money. So at this point in time, they're still definately in the red. In the long run though, this movie will even out, but it definately is an underperformer.
Old 06-02-04, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
It is important to not that with 240 million in box office revenue, Universal will probably see at most 60% of that money. So at this point in time, they're still definately in the red. In the long run though, this movie will even out, but it definately is an underperformer.
60%? I thought the theaters were being all but cut out of the picture these days and the bulk of the money went to the studios? What am I missing?
Old 06-02-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JasonF
60%? I thought the theaters were being all but cut out of the picture these days and the bulk of the money went to the studios? What am I missing?
Well, no not really. Theaters still get their cut, but the numbers vary. And the amount the theaters make just doesn't hold up for their business needs, that's the problem. Percentages vary, and are usually much higher for opening weeked (up to 80% or so) in favor of the studios. But in the long run, the break down is still around 50% I believe, though I imagine it might be pushing a little higher. But no, studios dont' get the whole revenue.