Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mr. Jackson isn't finished

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Should Peter Jackson make "The Hobbit"?
I was thinking the exact same thing.
54.46%
I can live with the LOTR saga the way it is.
38.39%
What the hell is "The Hobbit"?
7.14%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-04, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter Jackson isn't finished

Show of hands (or the internet forum equivalent)...

Peter Jackson needs to post-pone any vacation or new film plans and properly finish the saga of the of the Lord of the Rings and give us all a rendition of The Hobbit.

Who's with me on this?

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 05-26-04 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-26-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Incorrect.
Old 05-26-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
So 7 years of hard work doesn't warrent any vaction time or the need to work on something else?

Clearly, you are insane.

NAY!
Old 05-26-04, 03:00 PM

leave it alone
Old 05-26-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hated the book. That's all I'll say.
Old 05-26-04, 03:06 PM
Banned

Jackson will eventually do The Hobbit. It's just a matter of time. Let him enjoy his success for the time being.
Old 05-26-04, 03:08 PM
Banned

Weeeelll - OK - he can have his vacation - but I still want The Hobbit to round out his magnificent theatrical rendition.
Old 05-26-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IMO, the Hobbit has an even stronger story than LOTR, an equally cinematic scope and would make an absolutely fantastic movie. It would also be comparitively easy to script and make as the story isshorter and much more linear, there are many fewer characters and (as most people have seen at least one LOTR movie) they're not starting from scratch.

Jackson has stated that he wants to do it, there's a mint of money to be made. The rights will be worked out. It's going to happen.
Old 05-26-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would love to see The Hobbit. However, I think it would be appreciated more if we had to wait 5 or 10 years. So I say eventually, but leave it alone for now.
Old 05-26-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
make it stop
Old 05-26-04, 05:13 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by taa455
I would love to see The Hobbit. However, I think it would be appreciated more if we had to wait 5 or 10 years. So I say eventually, but leave it alone for now.

would like to see the movie done now, but probably better to wait and let things die down a bit.
Old 05-26-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by JupiterPrime
Oh, but he IS finished. If the child abuse charges weren't enough, his album Invincible was no hit.

(Seriously, I can't have been the only one who thought the thread title was a little vague...)
Old 05-26-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Incorrect.
That's ingorant.

JAMON! hee hee
Old 05-26-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Oh, but he IS finished. If the child abuse charges weren't enough, his album Invincible was no hit.

(Seriously, I can't have been the only one who thought the thread title was a little vague...)
That's exactly what I thought too.
Old 05-26-04, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

HAHAHAHA - that one got totally by me and didnt even think of it in much the same manner as I dont waste any brain capacity and power whatsoever on the alien mutant child-molesting criminal M. Jackson

Anyway - I disagree with waiting 5 years - its all hot now and in 5 years many of the nuiances that made it great and recognizable will have gone soft - let alone hoping that Sir Ian McKellan will still be alive, and never minding having aged along with Ian Holm whom both need to play roles some 20 years earlier to their characters in FotR
Old 05-26-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I can live with the saga the way it is, but I would love to see Th Hobbit. Only problem is that the two Ians aren't getting any younger, and if neither of them are involved what's the point?
Old 05-26-04, 08:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can also live without The Hobbit, which is fun but would simply seem anticlimactic after The Lord of the Rings. Also, let's let Peter Jackson work on different types of movies. No need to turn him into a one-trick pony.
Old 05-26-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a funny line about Jackson doing a George Lucas with these films (think Star Wars S.E. versions) but when I hit reply I lost my dial-up connection. I think he needs to move to other things.
Old 05-26-04, 09:12 PM

Last I heard the family wouldn't sell him (or anyone) the rights to the Hobbit. W/O that the idea is pretty much DOA.
Old 05-26-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Peter Jackson decides to make The Hobbit, great, I'll go see it. If not, it's not the end of the world either. I'm really quite interested to see what he can do post-LOTR.
Old 05-26-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I know it may sound weird but The Hobbit is the only book of Middle Earth that I've read BUT I would be okay if it was never made into a movie by Jackson.

I can't wait for King Kong but I want to see more of Jackson's smaller-scale stuff.
Old 05-26-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd be all for the Hobbit and would love to see it. But, I wouldn't really be that heart broken if it wasn't made. I'd like to see him do another project on top of King Kong before he goes back to LoTR...perhaps another zombie movie or splat stick movie? Ah, one can dream...
Old 05-27-04, 01:56 AM

I'm just the opposite. I think he should do The Hobbit as soon after King Kong as possible, because the actors from LOTR he'd re-use (Ian McKellen in particular) aren't getting any younger. I'd also love to see some adaptations of selected STORIES from The Silmarillion, but that would involve getting the rights from Christopher Tolkien, so that'll never happen.
Old 05-27-04, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
Originally posted by JupiterPrime

Anyway - I disagree with waiting 5 years - its all hot now and in 5 years many of the nuiances that made it great and recognizable will have gone soft - let alone hoping that Sir Ian McKellan will still be alive, and never minding having aged along with Ian Holm whom both need to play roles some 20 years earlier to their characters in FotR
Exactly.

I think he should go ahead and do the Hobbit release it on DVD then seal the whole thing up.

And do we really need so many threadcrappers here?
Old 05-27-04, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
And do we really need so many threadcrappers here
since when has expressing your viewpoint when asked what it was become a thread crap?

I say that a new phrase be created. Thread Circle Jerk. this would be when the thread only contains the views of those behind said idea as everyone strokes each others ego.

Personally, five years is nothing. the fear of Ian McKellan dead isn't that much of a scare. five years is not much and you might as well worry that any of the cast can die because at any moment they very well can. You need to just deal with it.

As for striking while the iron is hot. Their is a thing of over saturation. People may have already gotten tired of LOTR's and their very well may be a backlash reaction to it. Giving it time wont destroy the fan fair. People will still go crazy if they make it in five years. Look at star wars. 20 years later didn't ruin the fan craze when episode I came out.

as for aging. Hollywood make up effects work wonders. You can make anyone look pretty much any age. so that is not something to worry about.

this can wait, especially since the copyrights are still up in the air. You would need to clear those first and by all accounts, it will take five years to do it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.