Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter 3 thoughts

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Harry Potter 3 thoughts

Old 05-24-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Harry Potter 3 thoughts

Just saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban last night. Long story short, a very good film with great new direction. Alfonso Cuarón gave the film a bit of a darker tone. Chris Columbus did a fine effort for the first two, but the direction and cinematography (sp?) was simply outstanding. Although the story is not as good IMO as Sorcerer's or Chamber, it was still well done. Towards the end when
Spoiler:
the plot twists into Sirius Black not being the killer, but 'Scabbers', I was a bit confused at first. The transition of the story at that time was a bit too abrupt but handled nicely because after that they made sure it was known what was going on.

I also thought the film was a bit long winded by about 15 minutes, but I can't think of anything that could have been deleted. Michael Gambon did a wonderful job in filling in the role of Professor Dumbledore for the late Richard Harris.

Overall a very good film, very enjoyable and extremely well shot and directed. Anyone else see this yet?

Oh yeah, and on a side note:
Spoiler:
Emma Watson is going to be Natalie Portman hot in about 5 years
Old 05-24-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting comment about the story being the weakest considering that it is probably the most solid novel story-wise of the series so far. I am very curious to see what plot points and story lines have been trimmed from the book to fit the "short" running length.
Old 05-24-04, 08:39 AM

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Just for reference, steebo...have you read the book(s)?
Old 05-24-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only read the first two books

Did they play up a Ron/Hermione romance at all?
A bit, just a few hints of it here and there.
Old 05-24-04, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Harry Potter 3 thoughts

Originally posted by steebo777
. Although the story is not as good IMO as Sorcerer's or Chamber, it was still well done.
interesting, I always considered the story of this one superior to the first two, and Goblet of Fire the best one of all. Did they play up a Ron/Hermione romance at all?
Old 05-24-04, 08:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
I've only read the first two books
Nothing to be embarassed about. I'm just curious about how these movies play to those who have read the books vs those who haven't.
Old 05-24-04, 08:49 AM

Well, I hope this movie is even better than the other two. I just watched Chamber of Secrets for the first time last night and found it to be better than the first movie.
Old 05-24-04, 09:07 AM
Banned

A bit, just a few hints of it here and there.
Cool. Just two more questions, i promise:

- How many quidditch match games were there in this one? The book has 3.

- Do the dementors look like carbon copies of the Ringwraiths? From the brief shots in the trailer they seem to.
Old 05-24-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rivero
- How many quidditch match games were there in this one? The book has 3.
There is one match, which is short and ends abruptly when
Spoiler:
Harry gets too close to the dementors.

- Do the Dementors look like carbon copies of the Ringwraiths? From the brief shots in the trailer they seem to.
Yes and no. Their black hoods resemble a close approximation to the Ringwraiths, but underneath the Dementors look more 'zombified' than the 'skeleton' look of the Ringwraiths. Also the Dementors move more like ghosts through the air.
Old 05-24-04, 01:54 PM

C'mon June 4th! Can Wait!

June is going to turn out to be one hell of a money machine.
Old 05-24-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm glad they cut down the Quidditch games considering the 4th book is Quidditched out and we need a break from it from the first two films.

As a reader of all the books out currently, I am sure that the film will seem different to me opposed to those who go in bare. Hopefully I wont nitpick at what was cut out
Spoiler:
the flash back of how sirus got caught
as I really did want to see that on film. Ooooh wells

Still can't wait.
Old 05-24-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not going to compare the movies to the books. Azkaban is my favorite of all five, I'm simply going to enjoy the movie for what it's worth. If it doesn't live up to the book, I still have the book. Either way, I'm sure I'll be entertained by it and that's all I'm asking for..
Old 05-24-04, 03:18 PM

The books seem like they came out sooo long ago. When the latest book came out, i watched the first 2 movies, then read the remaining books just to try and remember what had happened before.... To J.K. Rowling: A "Previously at Hogwarts..." prologue please!!!!
Old 05-24-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Groucho •

Nothing to be embarassed about. I'm just curious about how these movies play to those who have read the books vs those who haven't.
I'll share my thoughts if it interests you:

Read Sorcerer's Stone and enjoyed it. Not great, but pretty good for a book aimed at youngsters. It was a quick and fun read. Saw the film and enjoyed it. A little silly, but pretty faithful to the book and entertaining for both kids and adults. Overall, I was impressed.

Didn't read Chamber of Secrets. Saw the film and thought it was silly and repetitive. Reading this forum and talking with others, I'm apparently the only one on the planet to feel this way. In fact, it seems most people like it more than the first. From my perspective, all the freshness of the first was lost here, and it was just a rehash of essentially the same stuff, with a lame slow-clap thrown at the end for good measure.

After seeing the first, I was really looking forward to the second. Having seen the second, I have little desire to see or read any more. I too wonder how my opinion would be different had I read Chamber before seeing it.

das
Old 05-24-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by PixyJunket
I'm not going to compare the movies to the books. Azkaban is my favorite of all five, I'm simply going to enjoy the movie for what it's worth. If it doesn't live up to the book, I still have the book. Either way, I'm sure I'll be entertained by it and that's all I'm asking for..
Dude..

This one's for you...

I know that will make you happy.
Old 05-24-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
After seeing the first, I was really looking forward to the second. Having seen the second, I have little desire to see or read any more. I too wonder how my opinion would be different had I read Chamber before seeing it.
In my opinion, Chamber is by far the weakest book (and movie, most likely. I didn't like the direction). If you can find the time, I'd recommend reading at least the third book, which many people (including myself) consider to be the best.

Semi-related, my order of preference is: 3, 4, 5, (long gap), 1, (long gap), 2
Old 05-24-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
This one's for you...
Whoa.
Old 05-24-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jeremy517
Semi-related, my order of preference is: 3, 4, 5, (long gap), 1, (long gap), 2
Yeah, I pretty much agree here. Although I may go 4, 3, 5, 1 and 2.

The best thing about part 3 is that:

Spoiler:
Voldemort is not the main villian nor does he appear in any form

Also, the first poster talked about:

Spoiler:
the plot twists into Sirius Black not being the killer, but 'Scabbers', I was a bit confused at first. The transition of the story at that time was a bit too abrupt but handled nicely because after that they made sure it was known what was going on.

Had you read the book you would have seen the same handling of the story. This is what makes book 3 so highly regarded in my opinion along with what I said above.
Old 05-24-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,003 Likes on 726 Posts
From the looks of things, I'm really going to enjoy this one a lot. The kids have grown a bit and it looks much darker, moodier.

I'll just have to make sure I see it when kids aren't taking over the theater
Old 05-24-04, 11:21 PM

I "liked" the second movie when I first saw it in the theater, though I didn't ever go back to see it, and the last 2-3 times I've watched it on DVD, I've fallen to sleep right around the whole spider scene.
Old 05-24-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Its fantasy, what else can one ask for?
Old 05-25-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

- Do the dementors look like carbon copies of the Ringwraiths? From the brief shots in the trailer they seem to.
I think they did a good job in making the Dementors look different than the Ringwraiths. Click this page to see a pic of a Dementor:

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/ex...dTrailer8.html
Old 05-25-04, 01:15 AM

Lucky steebo.

I can't wait to see the movie. Can't wait to buy the DVD later .. it'll give a perfect addition into my Harry Potter books and dvds collection.

The twists are what makes Prisoner of Azkaban my favourite out of the series.

Oh, and how's Professor Lupin in the movie?
Old 05-25-04, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Dude..

This one's for you...

I know that will make you happy.
Who is this?
Old 05-25-04, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Alvis
Who is this?

It's Emma Watson. She plays Hermione Granger in the movies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.