Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shaun of the Dead: Zombies, gore, jokes...mmm mmmm good! (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do any of You Like "Shaun of the Dead"?
Yes
89.16%
No, I don't Get British Humour
2.41%
It's a Decent Enough Film
8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Shaun of the Dead: Zombies, gore, jokes...mmm mmmm good! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw this yesterday.
Big
Old 09-28-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

I saw this movie -- and being a horror fan, i liked it..... however....

Don't take this the wrong way, but i was a bit irked at the fact that zomies/effects of such high caliber were "wasted" on a comedy.... know what i mean? It would have been nice to have a hardcore zombie flick with such good effects....

Matt
Old 09-28-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well its better have had them to have not.
Old 09-28-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by KillerQ
Hey all,

I saw this movie -- and being a horror fan, i liked it..... however....

Don't take this the wrong way, but i was a bit irked at the fact that zomies/effects of such high caliber were "wasted" on a comedy.... know what i mean? It would have been nice to have a hardcore zombie flick with such good effects....

Matt
So you would have preferred shitty effects?
Old 09-29-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by KillerQ
Yes, because as we all know, there are only a limited number of "good" effects handed out to films each year. When a movie like Shaun takes one of those, other films are forced to go without.
Old 09-29-04, 08:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
"high caliber effects wasted on a comedy" - come on, that's what makes this movie a blast, try putting this level of grue in say in Resident Evil 2 and the MPAA would be like "No, I don't think so" - I for one am glad to see this level of blood, guts and brain matter, it feels like a long time since a mainstream horror film has had this much fun and intensity to it. (Next up: the NC-17 uncut version of "Haute Tension" which will really satsify all you gorehounds, that is if you already haven't seen the boots).
Old 09-29-04, 12:15 PM

whoa there KillerQ, dont blow an o-ring its just zombie makeup
Old 09-29-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Joem
Just got back from seeing this. Thought it was ok, nothing to rave about though. I'll probably only end up recommending with reservation to those who ask (a lot of people at work know I see a lot of movies, so they ask). On my personal scale, it's a 2.5 or 3 star movie.
Pretty much my sentiments. Maybe I've been watching the Dawn of the Dead boxset too much, and couldn't switch gears for this, who knows. I had much more fun at the DotD remake.

I thought the first half or so was amusing, but you can only ride the "oblivious factor" joke for so long. Still glad to see horror movies getting made, and British ones at that!
Old 09-30-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
Just watched this last night. Fans of British comedy will be in heaven. Not only are the five main characters recognizable faces from Spaced, The Office. and Black Books (Dylan Moran playing a character so very different from Bernard Black it takes a few moments to realize it's him), but there are also several cameos from other recent Britcoms, including an inspired scene where the group meets another group of survivors - consisting of their counterparts from their respective shows. Brilliant.
While I'm waiting for my DVD of Shaun to come out I thought I'd point out that these shows mentioned above are excellent. SPACED has such funny characters and strange plots that feel somehow very real. It's well worth buying a player to mod region-free just by itself. I love all the 30-something pop culture references that our parents and kids enjoy but don't quite understand. BLACK BOOKS is excellent but some episodes are definitely better than others. It's writing is a bit uneven when compared to The Office or SPACED. The characters are great but are a bit too one sided at first. I think the end of season two starts to get back to the quality of the first half of season one.
Old 09-30-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Saw this with a friend tonight. He thought it was okay and I liked it quite a bit. I'd give a B to B+.

There were 11 guys in the audience.
Old 09-30-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hospitaller,

No rings of any sort were blown in the making of this post -- i wasn't complaining about the effects at all, they were awesome! It's just that i wish more modern zombie flicks used effects of the same caliber....

And as the other poster said, i had trouble switching gears for this one too -- too much dead trilogy for us!

Later,

M
Old 09-30-04, 07:47 AM

I definitely detected some seperation there. Not quite full blown ( ) but more like C.

I thought the movie was pretty good overall. It suffers from lamentably common "most of the funny bits are in the trailer" syndrome, but theres just enough charm to overcome it.
Old 10-02-04, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally posted by Hospitaller
I definitely detected some seperation there. Not quite full blown ( ) but more like C.

I thought the movie was pretty good overall. It suffers from lamentably common "most of the funny bits are in the trailer" syndrome, but theres just enough charm to overcome it.

I agree.

I made the mistake of going in expecting a "10" movie based on the near orgasmic reviews of some around here but by the time the credits rolled I felt it was just... ok. I mean I love British humor and Brit movies so I was kinda bummed it wasn't a better experience for me. I saw it in a near empty theater with no more than 4 or 5 others(all men) and I don't think they got a lot of the humor because I was the only one laughing during the majority of the funny bits. No that I gave fuck what they thought. However, I liked the zombie scenes and, like I said, even some of the humor; but I didn't like the way the end wrapped up and I thought it dragged too much in some areas.

I did see it with a free ticket so I wasn't as bummed it wasn't a better flick.

With that said, I will probably buy the dvd when I get around to it because I love living dead flicks.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-02-04 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-02-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey even filthy thinks it's an Okay movie!

http://www.bigempire.com/filthy/
Old 10-05-04, 01:30 PM

OK, I did a search, and have not seen anything about when this movie is supposed to be released nationwide. All the talk about 9/23 limited release, and nobody in SC knows anything about it. Of course, that should not surprise anybody. The major chains know nothing about it, and our independent theater could not hold the crowd (capacity of 75, maybe.) Not even the website is any help. Should I guess that if we haven't gotten it yet, it's not coming?
Old 10-06-04, 12:16 AM

Shaun of the Dead was fucking brilliant.
Old 10-06-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw it last weekend and loved it. My new favorite Zombie movie.
Old 10-06-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if it was because of the hype surrounding this movie but I thought it was just ok. Enjoyable, not just WHOA! BRILLIANT! you know

The fast-edit cuts à la Requiem for a dream/Snatch were good, the comedy bits were funny. They should have cut down on the "drama" bits though; I kept expecting a cool joke and nothing happened heh.
Old 10-07-04, 12:02 AM

It's was so badass, I bought is off line hours after!
Old 10-07-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by ruddiger_718
It's was so badass, I bought is off line hours after!
&
Old 10-25-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just came back from seeing this and LOVED IT.

Since I'm a total music geek, one of my favorite exchanges was when Shaun and Ed were deciding which records to throw at the zombies.

Ed: "Stone Roses?"
Shaun: "No."
Ed: "It's Second Coming."
Shaun: "I liked that one."

Hilarious.

Also liked the use of the Dawn of the Dead mall music at the very end of the credits.

Originally posted by Groucho
Sadly, I was the only one in the theater who laughed at:
Spoiler:
The line "We're coming to get you, Barbara!"
Me, too. But then, there were only 3 other people in the theater today.
Old 01-02-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this in theaters and loved it and picked it up on DVD and saw it a few times more. Anyway, i was checking out some of the special features and saw one that was pretty cool. Its called Plot Holes, they explained a few things, like how Shaun exactly diverted the zombies away from the Winchester, what happened to that chic who went after her BF after he got snatched through the bar window and how Ed got from the bar to Shaun's den. Check em out if you have the DVD, pretty cool.
Old 01-03-05, 10:09 AM

saw this movie the other day. it was ok. i don't understand how so many people compare this with the dawn of the dead remake. they are totally different movies.
Old 01-10-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Saw it, loved it, and glad I bought it.

I don't understand some comments, especially the ones that state it sucks that the film is a comedy?????? Like Brent, I'm going on record and saying that this is the best Zombie film I've ever seen, It's that damn good.

What I loves the most? As much as I was laughing my ass off ("the plan" sequence had my dying) I actually jumped at a few parts and I'm NOT talking about the non-boo scares.

I'll say it again, I love this movie!!!!!

Last edited by Rival11; 01-10-05 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's okay. Saw it last week. Not a bad movie, but definitly not great IMO. I actually dont like British comedies at all, but I thought this had a good laugh or two, just not as good as I thought it would be. 5 or 6 outta 10 for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.