Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shaun of the Dead: Zombies, gore, jokes...mmm mmmm good! (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do any of You Like "Shaun of the Dead"?
Yes
89.16%
No, I don't Get British Humour
2.41%
It's a Decent Enough Film
8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Shaun of the Dead: Zombies, gore, jokes...mmm mmmm good! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah yes it is.

I really need to get my butt in gear and order the DVD already. I was going to wait for the R1 release, but I highly doubt the DVD will be as stacked as the R2 disc.
Old 09-25-04, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard many good reviews about this particular zombie film so I decided to go watch it tonight to see what the fuss was all about. I did enjoy this film and thought it was very funny, especially the sequence where Shaun was planning on how to rescue his mother and girlfriend...hilarious. Never at any given time did I feel that the comedic moments were forced. Everything seems to fall in together so well. Although it is gory, I didn't think it was scary which is okay I suppose since I wasn't scare with the three Dead films. Overall a rompin' good whack-zombies-in-the-head with a cricket or whatever time!
Old 09-25-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

saw it last night, funny as hell! my fav parts:

Spoiler:
1) Taking pictures of the zombie girl
2) planning his mother and g/f's rescue
3) the reason to take Phillip's Jag
Old 09-25-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My girlfriend and I saw it last night, and we both loved it.

Any film that throws out references to the original Dawn of the Dead, Battle Royale, and Mr. Fulci (a gag even my girlfriend caught) is okay by me.
Old 09-25-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been a long time Fangoria subscriber and so if they give their seal of approval on something, its usually awesome. A while everyone else was saying how good this movie was, I was a tad skeptical. I think I'll be the millionth person to say that Shaun of the Dead rocks! No forced gags or jokes, everything felt natural and the characters had some layers to them instead of being your average zombie food. Thanks God this film is gory, too. Highly awesome and rocemmended!
Old 09-25-04, 04:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

it was okay but way overrated. i loved the first half but i was dumbfounded near the end. it became a straight up zombie movie. did they forget they they were making a comedy? the whole scene with loss of the mother and the tears and my god...i was actually sad. it was depressing

problem was, the entire thing was far to silly to be taken as an action horror film. it had some great gore effects, really liked that cute blonde girl and really enjoyed it for a while, but it just lost me near the end.

Last edited by whynotsmile; 09-25-04 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-25-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by whynotsmile
the whole scene with loss of the mother and the tears and my god...i was actually sad. it was depressing
Thanks for the spoilers there scooter.
Old 09-25-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Do it made you cry and struck an emotional reaction from you and you say it lost you? Usually if it loses you then you wouldn't have any reaction to the last shots.
Old 09-25-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very solid zombie movie, with plenty of laughs to go around. For the most part, you're laughing with the main characters, not at them, so that's a big positive going for this movie. If you're into zombie movies, I think you'll really enjoy it.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 09-25-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved this movie. It was a last minute call to go see it. I wanted to but I was a little under the weather last night. I sucked it up, went and thought it was a very solid and funny movie.

I might have to go see it again and I haven't seen a movie at the movies twice since The Matrix.
Old 09-26-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Loved it.
Old 09-26-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Wow, this is the most enjoyable time I've had in a movie theatre in years. I loved this movie. Excellent zombies.

I thought it was great that the movie could simaltaniously be funny and have such an atmosphre of dread.

A really agree with the tagline: A romantic comedy... with zombies. I was moved and encouraged by Sean's growth. Once he disposed of his issues with his mother, father, best friend and romantic advesary, he could mature enough to be a man for his special lady.

Great movie.
Old 09-26-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the spoilers there scooter.
I'll quote this line and continue with my thoughts on the ending.

Spoiler:
Yes, the film is supposed be a horror comedy, but the film has a terrific third act. The film changes it's tone from a light hearted comedy to a semi-serious flick naturally. When the group becomes trapped in the pub, they all realize that this is probably the end of the line for them. This change in tone takes place throughout the film. At first, the survivors believe that they'll easily make it out alive, but as the film moves on, this doesn't seem like it'll be the case (such as when Shaun and Phillip finally have a "moment" and then Phillip turns). The third act fits the film and the film's final shot removes all the seriousness of what just occured and puts the film's light-hearted tone back on it's feet.

This is a much better film than the Dawn of the Dead remake which I believed was a terrific horror action flick.
Old 09-26-04, 10:23 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Gay!

I loved it, so many fun parts, saw it twice this weekend
Old 09-26-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Saw it. Not since An American Werewolf in London have I seen a movie that blends horror with comedy so well. While this was a comedy for the most part, I admire the fact that the filmmakers were still able to keep all of the key elements essential to a zombie movie in tact.
While some might have issue with the third act, and I will admit I almost did myself, it really worked well. Did anyone else think for a moment
Spoiler:
that the biohazard crew had hit Shaun and Liz when they rolled up? I was thinking that such an incident would be just his luck.
Old 09-26-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Not since An American Werewolf in London have I seen a movie that blends horror with comedy so well. While this was a comedy for the most part, I admire the fact that the filmmakers were still able to keep all of the key elements essential to a zombie movie in tact.
While some might have issue with the third act, and I will admit I almost did myself, it really worked well. Did anyone else think for a moment
Spoiler:
that the biohazard crew had hit Shaun and Liz when they rolled up? I was thinking that such an incident would be just his luck.

I don't see why we need to use spoiler tags on page 4, but since others still are:

Spoiler:
What I was expecting for a moment or two, was Shaun and Liz to get blown away by the soilders, much like Ben was at the end of Night of the Living Dead.

And am I crazy, or was that Peter Fonda playing Shaun's father? No one else has mentioned this, so I guess I am.
Old 09-26-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I don't see why we need to use spoiler tags on page 4, but since others still are:

Spoiler:
What I was expecting for a moment or two, was Shaun and Liz to get blown away by the soilders, much like Ben was at the end of Night of the Living Dead.

And am I crazy, or was that Peter Fonda playing Shaun's father? No one else has mentioned this, so I guess I am.
You're crazy. It's Bill Nighy, the guy from Love, Actually.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0631490/

The similarities are there though
Old 09-26-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn! I was just coming back to edit that part out! Now it will remain, as a testiment to my ability to post foolish speculations before checking up on them.
Old 09-26-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it today and it was great! Not better than Day of The Dead or the Dawn remake, but it stood up very well. I was shocked (and glad) that the gore quotient was way up there, since I thought it was going to be a flat-out spoof.

Spoiler:
I would have to say the scene where Dave gets disemboweled and ripped apart was damn close in goryness(?) to the same scenes in Day of The Dead
Old 09-26-04, 07:43 PM

Even in limited release (about 600 theaters), "Shaun" made $3.2 million and debuted at #8 at the US box office. Not bad. Hopefully it'll go wider next weekend and I can see it (again) at my local theater.
Old 09-26-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by matome
Saw it today and it was great! Not better than Day of The Dead or the Dawn remake, but it stood up very well. I was shocked (and glad) that the gore quotient was way up there, since I thought it was going to be a flat-out spoof.

Spoiler:
I would have to say the scene where Dave gets disemboweled and ripped apart was damn close in goryness(?) to the same scenes in Day of The Dead
In the trivia track on the R2 DVD they say that it was indeed an homage to that scene.
Old 09-27-04, 08:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Saw this yesterday, enjoyed it quite a bit. I agree with those who say:
Spoiler:
That the film fell apart a bit in the last third, once they make it to the Winchester and the tone gets more serious...but the rest of the film more than makes up for it.
Sadly, I was the only one in the theater who laughed at:
Spoiler:
The line "We're coming to get you, Barbara!"
Old 09-27-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
spoiler]Sadly, I was the only one in the theater who laughed at:
Spoiler:
The line "We're coming to get you, Barbara!"

Same here.
Old 09-27-04, 11:19 AM

Is the part where Ed is behind the curtain and says 'there's a girl in the garden' a reference to anything? It certainly seems to be set up as one. Brilliant film!
Old 09-28-04, 02:19 PM

Just got back from seeing this. Thought it was ok, nothing to rave about though. I'll probably only end up recommending with reservation to those who ask (a lot of people at work know I see a lot of movies, so they ask). On my personal scale, it's a 2.5 or 3 star movie.

I think I just wasn't in the mood for the drastic change in tone
Spoiler:
and no the ending did not "make it right" for me
. I was expecting a good, humorous, spoof of the zombie genre throughout, and only ended up with 2/3's of it.

Last edited by Joem; 09-28-04 at 09:28 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.