Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel Comics Movie Line Up...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Marvel Comics Movie Line Up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Green Lantern would be sweet.
Old 05-05-04, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only safe bets seem to be Spidey, Blade and X-Men.
Uh, Blade was not a well known comic. A movie like Deathlok or Luke Cage could work, but it will not be able to lean on the name recognition. Blade was a pretty standard story type -- vampire hunter, etc. Something like Cage or Black Widow or whoever... I dunno, guess we'll have to see.

I'm guessing they wanted to counter Catwoman.
Old 05-05-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Blade was really unknown back then. Infact, he was rolling around with the midnight sons which themselves were a little out of the main spot light.

Personally, I would love to see Dan Ketch as Ghost Rider on screen. Toss in Blaze and get a spirit of vengence going and work up to a Midnightsons up and running. franchise out of the box.
Old 05-05-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If Thor gets made then I want to see it.
Old 05-06-04, 08:07 AM

Time Warner is just to big a machine to get these movies right, there are to many people who want to be involved. I think movie of Green Arrow, Flash and Nightwing could be done fairly cheap and have have a great deal of success. I still think their best chance for success is a Sandman movie. with the right cast and director this would make an awesome franchise.

Marvel is doing a very good job of managing their properties and their stock price proves it. For a company that was undergoing bankrupcy a few years ago they have paid off most of their debt and bought back some of their stock. They had a 3-2 split a few weeks back and have already returned to the pre-split stock price.

Marvel still has several very interesting characters they can shop to movie studios. Big names like Captain America, Silver Surfer and Thor as well as smaller names that would work on a lower budget basis like Night Thrasher and Moon Knight.

Last edited by mlemmond; 05-06-04 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-06-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by cruzness
Green Lantern would be sweet.
I would LOVE to see a well done GL trilogy based around Hal Jordan, set in the same time period as the comics were, that progresses into a filmable version of the Parallax story.
Old 05-06-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
The last time I read comics was 10 years ago, but my favorite reads before I quit were Lobo & the Vertigo line. Would love to see some films based on these.
Old 05-07-04, 03:59 PM

========================================
Lauren Shuler Donner Says X-Men 3 Starts June 2005! Source: Sci Fi Wire Friday, May 7, 2004

Producer Lauren Shuler Donner tells Sci Fi Wire that they are targeting a June, 2005 start for filming on X-Men 3 in Vancouver for a May, 2006 release date.

"I just had a conversation with [director] Bryan [Singer] today," Shuler Donner said in an interview at the Saturn Awards in Los Angeles on May 5. "We just started to talk about what the possibilities are. We're pretty sure Wolverine's going to come back."

Shuler Donner added that she's going to push to add the new mutants Gambit and Beast this time around. "I'm dying to put Beast in," Shuler Donner said. "I tried to get Beast in the first one and the second one, but it was always too expensive. So, yeah, I'm really dying to get Beast in, and I'd love to get Gambit in, because he's such a cool guy. And there's some really good casting ideas for Gambit."
==============================

Would Beast have to be CGI? Or can they get around with a padded suit to keep costs down?
Old 05-07-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
Originally posted by Get Me Coffee

Would Beast have to be CGI? Or can they get around with a padded suit to keep costs down?

Either way, Beast would be a combo of make-up and CG. Much like Spider-man and Hellboy. Make-up for close up shots, CG for long action shots.

So if they're targeting a 6/05 start.. when is Singer shooting Logan's Run?
Old 05-07-04, 04:16 PM

Old 05-08-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Silver Surfer will be the last super hero movie made imo,it would be the hardest movie to make,since he travels galaxie's,fight scene's would be in space makeing it very expensive,it would be the greatest super hero movie made imo if they could pull it off though.
Old 05-08-04, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
I thought Blade 3 was coming out in August

So did I , damn thats quite a push back.
Old 05-08-04, 08:52 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
they need to slow it down a bit, i love comic book movies, but i want the quality to stay high and for them to save successful
Old 05-08-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand why they'd make Punisher 2 and Hulk 2, when the originals weren't as successful as everyone would have hoped. . .it's like they plan to make as many sequels and unsuccesful movies beforehand, regardless of how the movies perform at the box office, just to juice and to kill the comic genre.

Can someone explain this mentality to me?
Old 05-08-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
Maybe things have changed since the mid-80's but when I was reading, you couldnt GIVE a Ghost Rider comic away, now there making a movie?
I read comics in the late 80''s to early 90's. I loved Ghost Rider.

Are you talking about old school Ghost Rider (cowboy) or the biker Ghost Rider.
Old 05-08-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally posted by DVDHO
Silver Surfer will be the last super hero movie made imo,it would be the hardest movie to make,since he travels galaxie's,fight scene's would be in space makeing it very expensive,it would be the greatest super hero movie made imo if they could pull it off though.
Personally I think this would be a great project to make into a All CGI animated film (like Final Fantasy The Spirits within) Let's face it a live action version would be mostly CG anyways (and would cost a fortune) so you could probably save some budget by just making it all CGI and not having to incorporate green screen, etc.
Old 05-09-04, 12:04 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i would mark out bigtime to see Galactus on the big screen in any Marvel movie
Old 05-09-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by theneobez
I don't understand why they'd make Punisher 2 and Hulk 2, when the originals weren't as successful as everyone would have hoped. . .it's like they plan to make as many sequels and unsuccesful movies beforehand, regardless of how the movies perform at the box office, just to juice and to kill the comic genre.

Can someone explain this mentality to me?
I think the Punisher did just fine for what was expected of it. Hulk, however, did not. But I think there is hope. If they made another Hulk, but more action oriented, I do think it would sell. It wouldn't have to be a Tomb Raider 2 or something of the like. They can make it more main-stream and marketable.
Old 05-09-04, 09:09 AM
Banned

How about a good ol DC House of Mystery movie? You know...creepy ghosts and all.