Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brosnan:Bond 21 "They are talking to Owen and Jackman for 007"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brosnan revealed that the producers had been speaking to both Hugh Jackman and Clive Owen about overtaking the role. The actors received Brosnan's blessing, after he claimed they are both "fantastic" actors.

http://www.commanderbond.net/Public/...s/2361-1.shtml

It is still not clear if they go with Brosnan or the new actor as of yet. Alot of what EON have done is behind Brosnan's back, but I guess he knows somethings. But I'm a proponant of Hugh Jackmen as Bond, wouldn't mind Owen either. But want Pierce to do one more, but his handsake deal for a 5th seems on ropes. Brosnan's contract was always for 3 films with a option for a 4th, so he's done 4 films, the 5th was on the cards until the producers were not sure where to go with Bond 21, there still in that paralyasis.

By summer sometime, we'll have proper official confirmatiom who on they want, I remember only yesterday coming back home at lunchtime from Highschool in 1994 when sky news was broadcasting the announcment of the new James Bond, which was Brosnan, Mel Gibson turned down Bond saying it would be boring unless they did something totally different with it etc they offered him big money. Time flies.
Old 04-27-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts
Jackman's a great choice...other than the fact that he's NOT British...I have a feeling many fans might not be happy about that, since Bond's always been a Brit.
Old 04-27-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't see Jackman at all in the role.
i was initially happy with his portrayl of Wolverine in the first X-Men, but in the second he disappointed me (bad choice to make Wolverine a sentimental blubberer at jeans apparant death, imo)
suddenly he's become the flavor of the month as far as fanboys go (not using the word fanboys in the negative here).

from what i've seen Owen is a much sturdier choice.

personally, i wouldn't mind a complete unknown.
in fact, for playing iconic characters like Bond (or Wolverine) i'd prefer it.
Old 04-27-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts
I say the next Bond should be Ewan. I think he'd be the perfect choice over Owen and Jackman. I think Ewan is a perfect combination of past Bonds.

Even Jude Law would be a good Bond.

Last edited by devilshalo; 04-27-04 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 03:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Jeremy Northam has always been my first choice as a suitable replacement Bond.
Old 04-27-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Jackman's a great choice...other than the fact that he's NOT British...I have a feeling many fans might not be happy about that, since Bond's always been a Brit.
Uhhhh...Not exactly.
Sean Connery, the original and many fans favorite to this day, is Scottish.

In fact, only Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton are Brits.

George Lazenby, like Jackman, is a Aussie himself,
and Pierce Brosnan is Irish.

Last edited by clappj; 04-27-04 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Some fact checking is in order. Neither is Sean Connery or Pierce Brosnan.

pssst...Adrian Paul. Hardly an unknown, but hardly a household name either. Great middle ground.
Old 04-27-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sean Connery needs to play a Bond villian dammit.
Old 04-27-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Sean Connery needs to play a Bond villian dammit.
That would be amazing. He looks so different now then when he was Bond anyway.

I seem to be in the minority, but I think Clive Owen would definitely be the best choice out there for the next Bond.

I'm probably also in the minority that Brosnan is not only the greatest non-Connery Bond, but I think like Connery, nobody will or could ever be better than Pierce.
Old 04-27-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I do hope Brosnan does have one more movie! His BO $$'s have also increased over the years, so why not throw in one more Bond movie? Jackman wouldn't be bad, just think if he became bond....he would be evolved with 3 franchise Xmen, Bond, and Helsting(that's if they make more...which they will)
Old 04-27-04, 04:20 PM

I could care less who the next bond is, there hasn't been a decent bond movie since Goldeneye imo, but maybe that tarantino rumor will end up being true, wouldn't that be cool
Old 04-27-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too want one more movie with Brosnan as Bond, I think he's still young enough to do the part justice......if they were willing to use Moore for A View To A Kill then they definitely can't accuse Pierce of being too old for the role yet. I don't see Jackman wanting or accepting the Bond role at ALL......too stifling for his career by far, and I simply don't see him as a refined suave 007. As things are he's somewhat tied down by the Wolverine role with not as much time as I'm guessing he would like to branch out, much less the huge load that goes with being Bond for a decade or so.
Old 04-27-04, 06:50 PM
Banned

Clive Owen to me...would be perfect...he's ruthless...no bulls**t type attitude...and could just be perfect!
Old 04-27-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Jude Law or Ewan McGregor would be excellent choices. If both actors just buffed up alittle, they would be great.
Old 04-27-04, 07:05 PM
Banned

well considering both Jude and Ewan are women...I dont think its gonna work out...

They just aint Bond...
Old 04-27-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by QuikSilver
I think Jude Law or Ewan McGregor would be excellent choices. If both actors just buffed up alittle, they would be great.
Brosnan and Moore were far from buff.
Old 04-27-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pulling for Clive "Croupier" Owen myself. I've been a big fan of his for many years, and I think he would make an amazing Bond. I will say that I have yet to enjoy a single Bond movie with Pierce Brosnan in the lead--he looks the part, but something always seemed off about him in the role, so I look forward to a change(assuming that there will be one for Bond 21).
Old 04-27-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched BMW's "The Hire" series again, and I think Clive Owen would make a great Bond, although I don't like the fact that Brosnan is leaving. I think the idea of Jackman being bond is awful... the guy is already beyond overhyped; I think an actor without very much name-recognition is what the franchise needs.
Old 04-28-04, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Clive would make a great Bond, but I seem to recall that he didnt want to do it - that the roll wasnt challenging enough. I'd be willing to bet that he'd change his mind for the big enough paycheck - but for the moment, I'd say he's unlikely.

I know he's a touch old now, but I do fancy the idea of Sam Neil in the roll. Some of the screentests he did on the Living Daylights DVD really rock. He really looks smooth in that tux.

But, in a perfect world we'd get Pierce for one or two more outings.
Old 04-28-04, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Never been a big fan of the Bond movies, but even so, i like Pierce in the roll, and can't really picture Jackman in it.
Old 04-28-04, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just want Brosnan to come back. I think he's just great in the role. And quite frankly, his movies aren't as good as he is. I'd like to see him finally make a really good Bond film.

But, otherwise Clive Owen is decent. Quite frankly I think Jackman wouldb e terrible for the Bond role. He's jsut too...light...in my opinion.
Old 04-28-04, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally posted by clappj
Uhhhh...Not exactly.
Sean Connery, the original and many fans favorite to this day, is Scottish.

In fact, only Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton are Brits.

George Lazenby, like Jackman, is a Aussie himself,
and Pierce Brosnan is Irish.
I meant Brit in the generic term...as in being part of Great Britain - which Scotland and Ireland (well, at least Northern Ireland) most certainly are. I didn't say "English", I said "British". Not sure which part of Ireland Pierce is from, so I don't know if he's a Brit or part of the Republic of Ireland. I didn't know Lazenby was an Aussie, but he was a citizen of England by the time he was cast for Bond.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 04-28-04 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-28-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I was about to reply to that comment as well, but you beat me to it. But I always assumed Scottish and Welsh were British as well. I know Lazenby was Australian, but I don't think one can count Brosnan as British, since Irish is quite a different culture. Yeah, they sued to be joined together, but that was some time ago.

I still would like to see Brosnan go one more as well. I'm not sure what exactly the producers are going for, but they should just pick something and run with it. If Quentin Tarantino and Pierce Brosnan are willing to do something old schoolish Bond (which is what is rumored), what is the harm in that? Gives Brosnan a chance to go out a little differently, but on his own terms. It's not like they're going to kill the franchise.
Old 04-28-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 517 Likes on 355 Posts
Clive has been my number one choice for some time. Number two would be Dougray Scott.
Old 04-28-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brosnan is technically from Ireland, but he moved to the UK at a young age, so he mostly has a British accent, not an Irish one.

Jude Law (English), Ewan McGregor (Scottish), and Jeremy Northam (English) would all work well, IMO. They have that suave quality to them, but they also would look appropriate firing a gun in a tuxedo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.