Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you expected to completely hate and loathe, but ended up loving it and now own

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you expected to completely hate and loathe, but ended up loving it and now own

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fanboy
I was really rolling my eyes at the prospect of being dragged to Legally Blonde by my wife, but thought it was far better than I would have imagined.
My g/f dragged me to see it too....I actually liked it. Legally Blonde 2 is a different story.
Old 05-02-04, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forrest Gump - thought is was going to be another one of those movies about a retarded person and their "journey" toward acceptance. I was totally wrong.
Old 05-03-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Both Legally Blond and Bring It On were movies my wife made me buy that weren't really as bad as I thought they would be.
Old 05-03-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Super Troopers
The Fast & The Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
Kill Bill Vol. 2 (I was VERY disappointed with Vol 1, but after seeing Vol 2, I did a 180)
Lord Of The Rings
Scarface

Last edited by DeanoBKN; 05-03-04 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-03-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by laserdogg
The Fifth Element - and the soundtrack album is wonderful too!
I loved the movie and the soundtrack is awesome.
Old 05-11-04, 09:37 PM

I thought O' Brother Where Art Thou was going to be this stupid folk music movie or something, but it was Coen movie so I watched it, it's one of their best movies.
Old 05-11-04, 10:23 PM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

Love Actually - I picked it up for my wife, and expected to just sort of grin and bear it. However, I thought it was shockingly good. And not in a stereotypical "for one of my wife's movies" sense, either - it was really good.
Old 05-11-04, 10:24 PM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

Dang double post......
Old 05-12-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Ghostbusters.

I hate this movie because when it came out everyone told me it was the best movie out and it was hilarious. I fell for the Hype.

WROOOOONG...To me it was typical 80's lameness and more of Bill Murray being friggin annoying as hell.

However, if some of you remember the early days of DVDTALK you probably remember the excitement over the announced really cool "Mystery Science Theater 3000" style commentary on the Ghostbusters dvd.

That's the only reason this dvd is in my collection.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-12-04 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-12-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Giantrobo apparently missed the "but ended up loving it" part of the subject line.
Old 05-12-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bring It On
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Resident Evil
Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle
Good Burger
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
Daredevil
Legally Blonde
Virus
Old 05-17-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Rookie (Dennis Quaid) - I thought this would be another bland Disney feel-good movie. Hardly, we've watched it several times (everytime friends come over and say they haven't seen it)

School of Rock - didn't see it in theaters because I don't like most comedies that come out now, using dumb humor isn't funny unless it's the Three Stooges . I found this flick very fun and watched it twice with my son the day we got it (after renting it first).

Session 9 - I thought this would be another lame attempt at independent horror (like Blair Witch, etc.) Boy, was I wrong.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake - the brutality was fresh after seeing so many "tame" splatter flicks recently.

Sexy Beast - I had no idea Ben Kingsley could be so good as a bad guy.

Alice in Wonderland - I had never seen this Disney flick until the DVD. Wonderfully trippy

Solaris (remake) - most people say it's too slow. I think it's just right, had me thinking the entire movie.

The Christopher Guest mockumentaries (Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, Mighty Wind) - I had never been a fan of this type of movie (not even Spinal Tap) but I rented all three a few months ago and had to go buy them immediately afterwards (including Spinal Tap with a new appreciation for it)!

The Transporter - another one I ran out and bought after a rent, awesome action flick.

U-571 - I thought it would be mediocre at best. Even my wife likes this one a lot.

Under the Tuscan Sun - I thought "great, another I-will-fall-asleep-while-watching-and-get-my-wife-mad-at-me movie". Wrong, loved it and then bought it.
Old 05-17-04, 03:15 PM

Expected to hate the Matrix.
Expected to hate LOTR.
Expected to find Donnie Darko a pretentious, abstract bore.

Very glad to be wrong on all counts.
Old 05-20-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
While I didn't expect to hate it, I did go into Finding Nemo with low expectations. Boy was I wrong.
Old 05-20-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm nearly ashamed to admit that I own the chick flick To Gillian on her 37th Birthday. I loved it.