Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why can't more people realize what a good film is and go see it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 10:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 941 Likes on 788 Posts

I make this remark in light of the 2nd week drop off of "Kill Bill Vol. 2".

This movie has something for everyone. It has action for the guy and a schmoopy, non-mindless and brilliant story (especially the end) for the girl and guy. Ok, maybe it isn't kid friendly, but c'mon people..this is film!

I am sorry but a clear "Big" rip off for the next generation, "13 Going on 30" and a generic, mindless action flick that belongs in the early 90's "Man on Fire" should not top a film like KB. It just isn't right. Sure KB is recouping its cost and will turn profit, but it should be doing it overwhelmingly so and be tops for weeks. This is Oscar caliber stuff and something that doesn't come along every other weekend and you would be doing yourself a dis-service depriving yourself of watching one of the aforementioned over KB.

It just seems like a sad state of movie affairs when fluff wins over substance. It is just so tiring. That is all. What do you all think?

Annoyed And Disappointed
Old 04-24-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because people were put off with the amount of gore in Vol 1.

It's also a QT film which narrows the market down even more. A big drop off for Kill Bill Vol 2 was expected. Especially with a new revenge film this weekend (Man on Fire) and with a film that is the totally opposite and untapped market in 13 going on 30. Think Freaky Friday crowd.

I keep on getting the scots mixed up. But just because it isn't pulling in the 30 million dollar weekend doesn't mean it isn't successful. It will turn a profit (infact, it already did) The thing people forget is that movies seldomly ever stay #1 in the box office unless there is another factor going.. a lack of a better choice to spend there money and rewatchablity. How rewatchable is Vol 2? Sure I watched it three times, but that was because two of those were free. I don't think I'll watch it again in theaters because its the start of the summer box office. Which means each week will provide something new, something fresh and something that is a "must see". Box office winners of one week will drop off the next to the new releases. it is that simple.

Now that's not saying 13 going on 30 is crap. It's good for what it is. Just like the punisher is good for what it is. Also note that Oscar Caliber films hardly ever pull in Huge numbers in the box office.
Old 04-24-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps after KB1, the majority expects KB2 to quailify as "fluff" as well.

Last edited by BigPete; 04-24-04 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-25-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts
As Jack said, there's always a dropoff on the following week. No biggie. Unless the dropoff is around 70% it doesn't mean the film is bad or no one likes it.

It just happens.
Old 04-25-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Why can't a week go by without someone starting a thread about the "crap" people buy tickets to?

You loved Kill Bill, more people love 13 Going on 30 this week. Live with it, not everyone shares your taste.
Old 04-25-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
People go see what they think will entertain them, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I absolutely Loved Kill Bill Vol 2, but know my friends will hate it, so I know better than to drag them along.

The "Huge" droppoff for Kill Bill Vol 2 is pretty typical, if you're referring to the 70% drop from last Friday as compared to this Friday, you gotta realize this movie was VERY HEAVILY front loaded - Kill Bill Vol 1 fans were downright rabid. It'll average out on Saturday and Sunday and will have, I think, about a 56% drop from last weekend, nothing terrible but not great. As long as I get me some good versions on DVD, I'll be happy.
Old 04-25-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to mention a thread like this is like preaching to the choir.
Old 04-25-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a LOT of people didn't like KBv1... so rapid post-QT/KBv1-1st weekender's drop off is to be expected. Personally, I'm waiting to see it on video... v1 was only mildly interesting to me and after I walked out I couldnt help but think "ya know, without Lucy Lui to look at that would have been a complete waste of 2 hours of my life." I like QT a lot... i was just very disappointed with v1... PF and JB it isn't... I don't know if v2 is "good film" or not... but I do know that I didnt enjoy v1 and thats that.

j
Old 04-25-04, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think its silly to assume that all people's tastes are similar, particularly for something as Kill Bill, which seems obvious to me that it wouldn't be for everyone. Films like Man on Fire or 13 Going on 30 aren't anything new or try and do anything special, but they're made to entertain the masses and are great for the casual movie going audience to relax and enjoy. Personally, i think all comments about the demise or the sad state of hollywood is silly.
Old 04-25-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Besides it is the nature of the beast. It seems nowadays it is rare for a movie to stay #1 at the box office. I remember when movies would be #1 for 5 or 6 weeks but it just doesn't happen anymore.
Old 04-25-04, 09:27 AM

Re: Why can't more people realize what a good film is and go see it?

Originally posted by scott1598
I make this remark in light of the 2nd week drop off of "Kill Bill Vol. 2".

This movie has something for everyone. It has action for the guy and a schmoopy, non-mindless and brilliant story (especially the end) for the girl and guy. Ok, maybe it isn't kid friendly, but c'mon people..this is film!

I am sorry but a clear "Big" rip off for the next generation, "13 Going on 30" and a generic, mindless action flick that belongs in the early 90's "Man on Fire" should not top a film like KB. It just isn't right. Sure KB is recouping its cost and will turn profit, but it should be doing it overwhelmingly so and be tops for weeks. This is Oscar caliber stuff and something that doesn't come along every other weekend and you would be doing yourself a dis-service depriving yourself of watching one of the aforementioned over KB.

It just seems like a sad state of movie affairs when fluff wins over substance. It is just so tiring. That is all. What do you all think?

Annoyed And Disappointed
Man On Fire is a serious revenge drama that revolves around an important and relevant topic today : kidnappings in Mexico City.

Kill Bill is a flashy, style over substance homage filled with eccentric characters spouting purposely operatic dialogue and engaging in over the top combat.

Try to guess which one I consider to be " fluff ", and lacking substance ?
Old 04-25-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 160 Posts
True, but Man on Fire is a film that has been done many times before with more or less the same approach. Kill Bill is trying a different approach to what you consider "fluff."

That said, I am not surprised at Kill Bill's drop. Pulp Fiction withstanding, QT has a VERY limited audience, and many of them might lack the funds to do multiple viewings. A lot of people I know who are new Kill Bill fans came to be such from DVD, and will most likely wait until DVD for the second one as they all have very busy schedules. Don't worry, this movie will make its cash back in the long run. One problem people have with labeling a movie a hit or flop is that they seldom look beyond the first run of its domestic release; they never take into consideration DVD sales, overseas run, etc. Hell, they seldom look beyond the first weekend in this place!
Old 04-25-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is Oscar caliber stuff
Wanna bet?

Not for Director, Actor (or Actress), or Best Picture.
Old 04-25-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Why can't more people realize what a good film is and go see it?

Originally posted by Big Quasimodo
Wanna bet?

For Uma Thurman not to get a nom. for Best Actress would be a travesty. She showed more emotion in that role than I have seen from any actress in a long time.
Old 04-25-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Re: Re: Why can't more people realize what a good film is and go see it?

Originally posted by Big Quasimodo
Wanna bet?

Perhaps not Director (too much borrowed) or Best Picture (just doesn't seem of the sort)

It'd be a crime for Lead Actress not to get a nom though.
Old 04-25-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
I myself thought volume 2 was a much better film than the first but a good thing to look at as well is how many people who loved the first DIDN'T like the second at all because it didn't show the excessive violence and move at a faster pace - sad I know but it did contribute to a lot of the sci-fi martial arts geeks saying "the seond one sucked".

Tarantino had a new audience follow him with Vol. 1 - an audeince who could prob care less for his previous films because they don't have the attention span for them or who are just into action corny movies alone.

As far a huge fans of Tarantino like myself go - I was more than impressed with Vol. 2 and I couldn't believe he made it so realistic while still paying homage to the over the top, unrealistic fims that made him create Kill Bill in the first place.
Old 04-25-04, 12:39 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I agree. I can't understand why people want to bother with fluff like Kill Bill when substantial, artful films are being ignored.
Old 04-25-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rival11
I myself thought volume 2 was a much better film than the first but a good thing to look at as well is how many people who loved the first DIDN'T like the second at all because it didn't show the excessive violence and move at a faster pace - sad I know but it did contribute to a lot of the sci-fi martial arts geeks saying "the seond one sucked".

Tarantino had a new audience follow him with Vol. 1 - an audeince who could prob care less for his previous films because they don't have the attention span for them or who are just into action corny movies alone.

As far a huge fans of Tarantino like myself go - I was more than impressed with Vol. 2 and I couldn't believe he made it so realistic while still paying homage to the over the top, unrealistic fims that made him create Kill Bill in the first place.
I agree with what you're saying Rival. I loved both movies, V2 much more though. I have some friends who I guess are action buffs and loved V1, but thought V2 was terrible. Maybe if the Action in V1 and Drama/Diolauge in V2 were even with eachother in both movies, it'd be more universally likeable. Hell, maybe the 3-hour cut would've worked better in theaters. Who knows. Either way, I love the two movies, and if others don't... then I guess they're missing out.
Old 04-25-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A little off topic but...are Scott 1598, Scott 1458, and Scott 1548 all different users? This is causing a lot of confusion for me!

I know there is one that hates Master and Commander, one that loves Kill Bill, and one that doesn't seem to like Italian horror. Can someone enlighten me as to who is who?
Old 04-25-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
A little off topic but...are Scott 1598, Scott 1458, and Scott 1548 all different users? This is causing a lot of confusion for me!

I know there is one that hates Master and Commander, one that loves Kill Bill, and one that doesn't seem to like Italian horror. Can someone enlighten me as to who is who?
I know what you mean - I've been on the boards for a while this afternoon and ran into all three of these names (I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just confused too!!!).

Last edited by Rival11; 04-25-04 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-25-04, 01:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There are only two:

scott1598 = didn't like M&C

Scot1458 = didn't like The Beyond
Old 04-25-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Ha! Same here. I know one likes to use silly smiles, I know one thinks a film is a bomb if it doesn't make 50+ each weekend and the other.. I have no idea.
Old 04-25-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to Scott 1458, it's Scott 1548 who dislikes M & C, not Scott 1598.
Old 04-25-04, 01:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
*head explodes*

The names are too much! AGH!

And I was surprised to see someone say that Man On Fire is a serious drama about kidnappings in Mexico. Now, I haven't seen the movie, but it looks like the way they resolve the situation is to have the hero kill all the bad guys. Am I wrong about this? If I'm right, though, how is that a serious examination of the subject? It's not very realistic, and it doesn't do much to examine anything but action sequences.

But maybe I'm wrong and the trailers completely misrepresented the film.
Old 04-25-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the record, Man on Fire was directed by Tony Scott. Just another Scott to worry about!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.